Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
So there's a chicken outside my house
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 6:21 pm
imaonwheels wrote:
Do not touch the eggs or you will be a murderer as she will not sit on them any more.

just wondering, does shlioach hakan not apply to fowl? or only to birds that fly?

shlumzmum

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 6:30 pm
shiluach haken can only be done when its in a public place, not is someones backyard

and I dont think it can be done on chicken

"ki yikre kan TSIPOR lefanecha..." is a chicken a bird? confused

Squash

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 7:10 pm
oh green! my father's a shochet. why can't it be a good reason? maybe it'll have a tikun that way? (someone saying a bracha on it).

or do you not eat chicken?

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:24 pm
Better the shochet gets it than the stray wild dogs. Confused
I think I saw the shochet's kids feeding it anyway.

Helani

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:37 pm
We have wild turkeys in Boston. One morning as I was dropping my daughter off at school, one crossed the road right in front of my car and headed for the front entrance of school. I guess it doesn't realize thanksgiving is coming. Smile

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:56 pm
Quote:
I guess it doesn't realize thanksgiving is coming.

Smile
I've never seen wild turkeys in Boston, though.

Btw, thanks Imaonwheels. Your post is very helpful! (And I almost fed the chicken popcorn last night. Rolling Eyes )

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:58 pm
I know someone in crown heights whose younger brother keeps chickens in the backyard as pets. when there are more than ten, the father shechts one and they have fresh chicken. maybe it belongs to them? I haven't spoken to them in a few years, but I'm sure I could find their number if you want to call them. they'd probably take it without charging you Smile

this is not a joke, they really keep chickens. I never understood how they get away with it, it's probably against some law or other. then again, I had a neighbor who kept a goat in his backyard for a number of years...

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 9:02 pm
Quote:
I know someone in crown heights whose younger brother keeps chickens in the backyard as pets. when there are more than ten, the father shechts one and they have fresh chicken. maybe it belongs to them? I haven't spoken to them in a few years, but I'm sure I could find their number if you want to call them. they'd probably take it without charging you

Sure, if it's not too much trouble for you! Otherwise I'll leave it for the shochet's kids.

"Fresh chicken" doesn't appeal to me like "fresh strawberries" and "fresh tomatoes," um, I wonder why....

Helani

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 9:07 pm
[quote="GR"]
Quote:
I guess it doesn't realize thanksgiving is coming.

Smile
I've never seen wild turkeys in Boston, though.

They like hanging out by the Bostoner Rebbe's Shul on Beacon Street. Smile First year I've seen it, but heard from ppl it has happened before.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:14 pm
GR wrote:
"Fresh chicken" doesn't appeal to me like "fresh strawberries" and "fresh tomatoes," um, I wonder why....

You prob. don't realize how superior the taste is, if you only eat fresh or if you only eat frozen.

I used to crave K.D. stuff, thinking it was b/c it was fried. I finally realized it was because the chicken was so fresh - those years I shopped once a month or so, and froze everything.

Squash

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:16 pm
my father used to shecht the kaparos erev yk on our porch. those were frrrrrrreeeeeeeeesh and GROSS!!! (my mother would kosher them and make the chicken and soup for the two seudos with those chickens)

GAMZu

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:24 pm
Quote:
We have wild turkeys in Boston. One morning as I was dropping my daughter off at school, one crossed the road right in front of my car and headed for the front entrance of school.

Why did the turkey cross the road?

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:43 pm
I dont know gamzu, but I do know why the cow crossed the road...............

GAMZu

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:48 pm
Nuuuu? Why? LOL

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:51 pm
to get to the udder side!!!
and now u- y the turkey?

GAMZu

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 12:00 am
LOL!!!
--I don't know, ask Helani. She's the one that saw it.

Ima'la

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 3:16 am
To get to GR's house!!!

gryp

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:15 am
Smile

Squash, I was horrified when I realized our neighbors were eating the kapporos that they shlugged but my mil basically told me to stop being weird (not in those words Surprised ) and what do you think everyone used to do. I think I was more horrified to watch the transition of a squawking chicken suddenly dead and stripped of feathers looking exactly like the chicken I buy in the store and cook and eat!

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:19 am
okay thanks to kapporos lingo now I have to stay away Puke Puke from this thread ... but not before I mention SAVE THE CHICKEN!!!

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:20 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I know someone in crown heights whose younger brother keeps chickens in the backyard as pets. when there are more than ten, the father shechts one and they have fresh chicken. maybe it belongs to them? I haven't spoken to them in a few years, but I'm sure I could find their number if you want to call them. they'd probably take it without charging you Smile

this is not a joke, they really keep chickens. I never understood how they get away with it, it's probably against some law or other. then again, I had a neighbor who kept a goat in his backyard for a number of years...

Are you from london? I also know a family there who kept a goat in their backyard. Someone in the family was allergic to cows milk and cy goats milk was not available at the time. This same family also kept chickens at one point.

(they had a very large backyard)

GR, it may be fun to keep it! Maybe get another one for company.

(and then when you find the owner in several years time present them with a flock of goats. Did the hen have a red ribbon?)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics