Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help! 14 people for Pesach!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:29 pm
For dessert without chocolate or nuts, how about a lemon sorbet? Easy to make, easy to do in advance.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:34 pm
Thanks everyone! Have microsoft excel and writing everones advice!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:40 pm
Sorbet, ice cream, compote and cut melon for dessert.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:53 pm
It is also very easy to slice some onions, place a bunch of chicken bottoms in a pot with oil and salt (spices, if you use) and peeled sweet potatoes or potatoes and leave on blech after seder and again after every meal...just leave on a tiny flame on blech. It will be soft and delicious. You can do the same thing with minute steak, and any veggies. This way you don't take up refrigerator space and have yummy food for next meal.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:55 pm
btw, it is very easy to do apple compote in oven, in a roaster

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
It is also very easy to slice some onions, place a bunch of chicken bottoms in a pot with oil and salt (spices, if you use) and peeled sweet potatoes or potatoes and leave on blech after seder and again after every meal...just leave on a tiny flame on blech. It will be soft and delicious. You can do the same thing with minute steak, and any veggies. This way you don't take up refrigerator space and have yummy food for next meal.

You leave it on the blech for 2 days and keep serving the same food that was never put away?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:01 pm
no, absolutely not!! After the seder, I put up for the morning meal. And so on, If you make after the day meal for at night, you need to give a child a little food.

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:27 pm
enneamom wrote:
Honestly I would probably just do chicken (some meat) and potatoes. Lots and lots of chicken and potatoes.

ETA: snacks are apples, oranges and bananas. Dessert is melon. Matza and maybe eggs they make themselves for breakfast. The end.

The advantage of every meal chicken and potatoes is they won't want this again next year. The chicken and potatoes is a great plan.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:43 pm
Everyone, thanks to you all, I made my Pesach menu! I feel a bit calmer now I have some direction.....I get overwhelmed with big crowds; I come from a small family. Any advice for that?

hila

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 5:07 am
Remember to breathe. And know that all the imamothers are rooting for you.
Pat yourself on the back.

Make sure you have a safe space to retire to (your bedroom?) and spend 10 minutes every hour or two in there. Toilet can be a safe space in a pinch. You can always explain that Pesach food gives you constipation Wink

Hatslacha. It is just a few days.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:08 am
Just figured out where everyone will be sleeping. My kids will be sleeping in my room. Thanks to all for support; It means a lot!

PAMOM

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:04 am
A series of posts like these remind me how terrific this group is in a pinch—lots of specific concrete help (with a sense of humor),

baltomom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:16 am
Wow, this certainly seems overwhelming, but I think you can pull it off using everyone's good ideas! Remember that the first days of Pesach this year are fairly easy: at the 2 sedorim people tend not to be all that hungry by the time you get to shulchan orech, and the Shabbos lunch menu is pretty circumscribed. That leaves only the second day lunch meal to possibly be more elaborate (but only if you choose to make it so).

If you want to serve schnitzel on Shabbos (or Sunday), I'd recommend buying fresh cutlets in advance and breading them (store-bought non-gebrokts "knaidel crumbs" are good mixed with potato starch) before freezing. Then you can bake or fry on Friday with little mess. There are some good recipes using schnitzel with a sauce (more economical and healthier than roasts).

Good luck!

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:08 am
Thanks for all the advice! How many desserts do you think I would need to make for so maby people?

L K

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:47 pm
baltomom wrote:

If you want to serve schnitzel on Shabbos (or Sunday), I'd recommend buying fresh cutlets in advance and breading them (store-bought non-gebrokts "knaidel crumbs" are good mixed with potato starch) before freezing. Then you can bake or fry on Friday with little mess. There are some good recipes using schnitzel with a sauce (more economical and healthier than roasts).

Good luck!

At what temperature and for how long do you bake schnitzel so it's not dried out!

enneamom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:53 pm
Beingreal wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! How many desserts do you think I would need to make for so maby people?

You know my opinion: don't make anything, just buy lots of melon! But if you insist on baking some simple sheet cakes... how many people are you in total? Assuming it's around 18-20, I think you need at least a 9"x13" of dessert for each meal.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:02 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Pesach-.....15159

A local woman wrote this book. Basically, she makes a little area for her Pesach crock pots and every night makes something in them and in the morning she takes it out, puts it in foil pans, labels it and freezes it.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:24 pm
Oy. Sounds a lot but with good planning manageable. I cook non gebroks....peel everything etc and I do for 3 days and the whole yom tov is in the freezer. My menus are roughly planned . I also use a croc pot most of chol hamoed.
Ex
Seder nights. Chicken soup, brisket and mashed potatoe and salad (zuchinni in sauce if you want more). Since you have so many I would cook a couple chickens too.
Lunch meals. gefilta and/or salmom with 2 salads (israeli and cuc or coleslaw) and dips if you have time (chatsilim, acvacado) Shnitsel or sliced turkey breast, a potato kugal and since you habe so many I would do meatballs or shephards pie too. Serve with a hot veg (roasted veggie or sweet potato wedges)
Desert is always fruit and cake or ice cream whichever you find easier to make.
This is my menu give or take. I cook it double freeze it all and pull out as needed so you dont defrost meat that gets wasted.
On erev I boil eggs prep kaaroh and chop/cut salad. I cut 10 cucumbers for salads and bag in lg ziplocks, same with coleslaw sonyt am is less prep. Kids squeeze lemons etc so all ready to go.
For hamoed we make brunch and dinner. Brunch is omelette and hash browns, avacado and matsah, salad etc.
Dinner is croc pot if we are out all.day (goulash) and if we home in afternoon chicken and potatoes!
Re the cleaning just remember the famous words... dust aint chomets.
Good luck.

baltomom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:38 pm
Sorry, I don't know how to quote. But re baking schnitzel:
For all year, I dip in olive oil, then spiced bread crumbs, put on parchment paper on cookie sheet, spray top with Pam, then bake at 375 for 20 minutes (my oven is not so hot, so it's possible a hotter oven would work at 350 for 20 minutes). I don't think I've baked schnitzel with knaidel crumbs, because they're very white and probably won't get dark in the oven (not so appetizing looking)--but it could work if you'll pour a sauce on top after.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:48 pm
I would ask family to be in charge of dessert. Dessert is easy to travel with even if coming from far
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics