Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
EMERGENCY! Recipe for salt water please?
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:37 am
(And can I just say how I love these humor threads? Just reread this thread again, and another thread you linked Goldie613 in the early Covid days. Ahh I miss the good ol’ times here with good humor threads. Everyone is so serious these days...)

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:38 am
amother Pewter wrote:
Last year I had a brainwave. After cleaning for Pesach, I wiped down all the surfaces a second time, having in mind that it was for the coming year. So my house has been Pesach-cleaned all year! Such a relief. Now I can spend my time tweaking my Ultimate saltwater recipe (still testing the proportions of grey, green, white and pink salt to see what's the best).

You are not trying any Hawaiian black salt?

(there really is a salt in Hawaii that is black)

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:42 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait - are you using the salt from the bath or using fresh epsom salt??? Because if you cried while in the bath that would be using two kinds of salt for your salt water - or is that intentional, with you having in mind that there's one kind of salt for each time we dip (shtei paamim) by the seder?

Of course, if this was the old days and you were doing that, you'd have to find out if you'd need to pesachdik your tub first, as it probably would have been holding the (fresh/live) fish week to week for the shabbos gefilte fish...unless they had a pesachdika tub back then for that purpose? Confused What Help Dont know

Reminds me of this story- My neighbor shared an anecdote about 6 weeks ago. A guy was told by his wife a couple of weeks before pesach that he can’t use the master bathroom anymore till pesach- because it’s already clean for pesach. I dont want to see At wits end What inquiring minds want to know if a gluten free diet would allow him access Twisted Evil Tongue Out Crying Hiding

Goldie613

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
(And can I just say how I love these humor threads? Just reread this thread again, and another thread you linked Goldie613 in the early Covid days. Ahh I miss the good ol’ times here with good humor threads. Everyone is so serious these days...)

Happy to have given your spirits a lift :-)

If you are looking for more humor threads, type the word humor into the search box at the top of the page and you can find more that way. Which is how I found this thread from a few years back =
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....10302

Enjoy!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 3:22 pm
Thanks for the link Goldie613.
2 things-
1) I like the easy, fun banter between the posters- that’s what I miss...
2)my filter settings changed and I can’t view images anymore... but I do remember that thread and it was awesome during Covid lockdown!

Goldie613

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:52 am
OK, ladies, I've just realized that I haven't been taking my salt water preparation seriously enough. I mean, really, starting with prepared, ready to use salt??? How does that show my willingness to go above and beyond for the chag? Answer - it doesn't!

But, I've found the answer - I'm going to get a salt mine! I'll mine the salt from the ground and proceed from there - and look, you can even find directions online =
https://saltassociation.co.uk/.....able.

https://www.mortonsalt.com/sal.....sing/

Though apparently, if you are in places with clean enough water, you can just do this at a beach = https://theindependent.ca/the-.....ater.

Of course, I think I may have thought of this a bit too late for this year, but clearly I need to give this serious thought for future years LOL Laugh Tongue Out

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:26 am
I'm surprised to see so many women here use ready made salt on pesach. We only use course rock salt, and grind it by hand with a mortar and pestle. It's a lot of extra work, but it tastes to much better than the prepared salt you get in stores.

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:16 am
Goldie613 wrote:
OK, ladies, I've just realized that I haven't been taking my salt water preparation seriously enough. I mean, really, starting with prepared, ready to use salt??? How does that show my willingness to go above and beyond for the chag? Answer - it doesn't!

But, I've found the answer - I'm going to get a salt mine! I'll mine the salt from the ground and proceed from there - and look, you can even find directions online =
https://saltassociation.co.uk/.....able.

https://www.mortonsalt.com/sal.....sing/

Though apparently, if you are in places with clean enough water, you can just do this at a beach = https://theindependent.ca/the-.....ater.

Of course, I think I may have thought of this a bit too late for this year, but clearly I need to give this serious thought for future years LOL Laugh Tongue Out

I see I have not given to enough thought in were the salt comes from,

I am sending my boys to the ocean to get some salt water, added bonus they can go to the Mikvah at the ocean before they get the water.

Just getting good salt is not enough I need to get fine water so I am thinking of ordering from this website
https://finewaters.com/
I am just not sure of the hechsher anyone ever use them?

Goldie613

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:29 am
Hello one and all -

As it is nearly Pesach already, clearly it is time to bump this thread up to see how everyone is doing with their salt water prep! So ladies, anyone trying anything new this year that the rest of us can learn from? Wink

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:31 am
I'm so behind this year. I don't even know where my salt is.

cheese cake

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:34 pm
Where do I get the water from?

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:36 pm
cheese cake wrote:

Mayim shelanu, of course! From the collection of tears that fall from pre-Pesach stress!

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:37 pm
cheese cake wrote:

You're a little late for this. The springs are already warming up. Bedieved you can find a freshwater spring and leave it overnight, covered, at room temperature to rest. Make sure to refrigerate afterwards for at least 7 days, and of course filter (through 100 micron mesh) before using.

keym

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:39 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Hello one and all -

As it is nearly Pesach already, clearly it is time to bump this thread up to see how everyone is doing with their salt water prep! So ladies, anyone trying anything new this year that the rest of us can learn from? Wink

I tried a great new recipe last year.
It was more complicated but soooo worth it.

You take a bottle of spring water, pour it into some ice cube trays.
Freeze
When totally frozen, pop the ice cubes out into a pot, and bring to a rapid boil. Turn the flame off and transfer the water to a container.
When it has cooled off, add salt and stir vigorously.

Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:58 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Mayim shelanu, of course! From the collection of tears that fall from pre-Pesach stress!

This is the best source they are already salted.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:16 pm
keym wrote:

Freeze
When totally frozen, pop the ice cubes out into a pot, and bring to a rapid boil. Turn the flame off and transfer the water to a container.

Very Happy Very Happy

You are supposed to add the salt before it cools down. 6th grade chemistry. I'm guessing the reason your salt water turned out so good is because you didn't actually wait for it to cool down fully. The hotter the water, the better it dissolves the salt.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:43 pm
keym wrote:

Freeze

Very Happy Very Happy

I saw a similar recipe, but it said to boil for 20 minutes, covered. Cooking it longer really concentrates the flavor.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
You are supposed to add the salt before it cools down. 6th grade chemistry. I'm guessing the reason your salt water turned out so good is because you didn't actually wait for it to cool down fully. The hotter the water, the better it dissolves the salt.

Pro tip: warm it up again just before seder.. It'll make sure all the salt gets dissolved and will taste fresher!

giselle

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:59 pm
@jewishfoodie where art thou??

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:11 pm
I just cleaned out the garage and found a bag of Kosher L'Pesach salt from the year 1930 - I'm sure post depression people were really worried about running our of food so they would store some valuable commodities in their garages I think I once read that. Anyway, I'm not asking if I can use it because I have no choice cause I didn't get any coupons for salt and I can't afford to spend any extra money and everyone knows that salt preserves so obviously salt preserves itself and so it could last forever. Sorry for the long ramble but I'm getting to my point right now basically my question is do you think that salt gets stronger as it ages? I forgot to mention that there was a recipe right near it for salt water!!! Unbelievable!! I would really share it with you but I think it might be an antique and I might be able to sell it and have some $$$ to buy my kids something really cool for an Afikoman present. Wait, so back to my question do you think the salt gets stronger with age? I'm so worried I'm going to mess up the recipe - you just can't imagine how my DH looks forward to the salt water it's his favorite part of the Seder and I'm worried if the salt gets saltier with age and I use the amount on the recipe it will be way too salty. Maybe there's someone here who studied chemistry or geology or mathematics and knows how to calculate the aging of salt and the proportions of water when brought to a boiling point?
Thank you so much!!!!
Page 13 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics