Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Perks of having a "boy family"
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 8:02 am
I have a team of boys! Then later had some girls.
My boys are mostly adults & more than half are married.
Girls are way easier to parent for the most part.
But my sons are very close to each other. When they’re together it’s a nachas to watch.
I’m a very proud mama.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
I don't know where you got the idea that I'm young. I'm actually a grandmother already, but my memory is not so far gone that I don't remember scrambling for child care. No need to condescend.

What surprised/saddened me was the mothers who are thrilled that the boys aren't home on ordinary Sundays. Sure, it's hard to get all your errands done when everyone is home. But you bet that my kids knew how much I enjoyed spending time with them.

It also sounded to me like you are making assumptions about posters's intentions and their relationship with and attitude toward their kids because they list it as a perk that their boys are out of the house.

I absolutely love my quiet time (and yes I also love spending time with my kids....), but as it happens I don't like Sunday school. For one thing, it makes shabbos pressured with studying for Sunday tests. It also makes it difficult to ever find the time to do things like, go shoe or suit shopping with the boys, schedule appointments, or go on day outings as a family.

Eta. Also, the posters here did not create the situation, with boys being out of the house more. They are simply posting their feelings that they've come to accept, regarding a situation that already exists.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 8:10 am
I have 3 boys and 1 girl thrown into the mix (thank you Fox, your post made me feel good!)

Boys are much easier IMO. Give them a ball and a few other kids that they may not even know and they can play for hours.

Boy haircuts are much easier.

It's easier for them to use the bathroom when they are out.

My boys don't have school on Sunday, which I am personally grateful for.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 8:52 am
DVOM wrote:
I'm finding your posts to be condescending and judgmental. Perhaps you don't mean them this way.

My boys are very aware that I love to spend time with them and that being their mom is my greatest joy. I also really appreciate that they have a half day of school on regular Sundays.

I don't mean to be condescending at all and I apologize for coming off that way. Of course it's nice for kids to have structured time. It's just not nice if they get the impression that mommy is glad to get them out of the house. Kids hear everything we say and a lot of things we don't say, and they surely pick up vibes of "I can't wait to have you out of here."
It's impossible to tell from an internet post what's going on, but some posters seemed just a little too excited to have the kiddies gone. It's worth being aware of the messages we impart - even subliminally.

And again, apologies. It's hard enough to raise kids, and I didn't mean to burden anyone with judgement.

DVOM

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
I don't mean to be condescending at all and I apologize for coming off that way. Of course it's nice for kids to have structured time. It's just not nice if they get the impression that mommy is glad to get them out of the house. Kids hear everything we say and a lot of things we don't say, and they surely pick up vibes of "I can't wait to have you out of here."
It's impossible to tell from an internet post what's going on, but some posters seemed just a little too excited to have the kiddies gone. It's worth being aware of the messages we impart - even subliminally.

And again, apologies. It's hard enough to raise kids, and I didn't mean to burden anyone with judgement.

OK, I hear you and I agree. The unconscious messages we give our kids are important, and we do need to be careful about what messages we project. Apology accepted!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 2:49 pm
I have an even number of boys and girls and each gender has parts I love and parts I don't love. I wouldn't know what to choose if I had to choose the gender of my next child.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 3:39 pm
It's funny that a lot of people are bringing up clothing. While it's true that boys are a lot easier in terms of fashion, there are still some challenges that come with boy's clothing. For one thing, PANTS. Seriously, why are they always ruining their pants? And also, why do pants makers still operate on the assumption that everyone has the same proportions? If you have a boy who's a string bean, or one who's shorter and stockier, it's really tricky to find pants that fit properly! Also, at least when they're younger, kippahs and tzitzis are annoying. Kippahs get lost all the time and tzitzis gets ruined a lot until age 7 or 8.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics