Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tattoos and Piercings now acceptable in some frum soceity?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:38 am
chummus wrote:
Go to your Rav and ask....
huh? I wrote that different rabbanim hold differently. So I learned from the rabbanim in my circles. Not sure how that isnt clear Scratching Head

Alternative

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:41 am
chummus wrote:
In my opinion modern orthodoxy is the biggest threat to orthodoxy because you don't draw the line. There are woman Rabbi's, you could dye your hair pink have multiple ear piercings, black nail polish, tattoos, mini skirts, short sleeves etc.. and still think you are orthodox.
You are right. It depends on your circle and what you deem as orthodox. Yes, probably Rabbi's in those circles would hold a different way.

Queen Elizabeth knows how to use apostrophes. Just saying.
And I have a feeling you are stringing us along. Surely you know women rabbis are not mainstream in modern orthodoxy? And that black nail polish is allowed halachically and should not be linked with tattoos?
I really think you're having fun with us.

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:43 am
chummus wrote:
In my opinion modern orthodoxy is the biggest threat to orthodoxy because you don't draw the line. There are woman Rabbi's, you could dye your hair pink have multiple ear piercings, black nail polish, tattoos, mini skirts, short sleeves etc.. and still think you are orthodox.
You are right. It depends on your circle and what you deem as orthodox. Yes, probably Rabbi's in those circles would hold a different way.

Chummus, you obviously have not fully learnt the following,
- the difference between halacha, hashkafa and chumra
- the laws of loshon hara
- the laws of ahavas Yisrael
- the importance of the Elul

Maybe it is time to go study. Then you can decide if someone who speaks in this way can "still think of they're orthodox".

Shana tova.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:50 am
chummus wrote:

Are you familiar at all with Yeshiva University? Even a bit?

israelimom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:58 am
A friend of mine always brings up the queen of England as her example of the dignity of dress and the ultimate example for a "bas melech," and I often wonder if she was aware of the serious decolletage on display by royalty in generations past within the British monarchy.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 7:59 am
chummus wrote:

Oy.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2018, 8:45 am
chummus wrote:
When it comes down to it, it's all about sensitivity. Not everyone is sensitive to piercings, tattoos, black nail polish etc... (unfortunately, they are desensitized).
Being the daughter of a king (Hashem) I do not feel these things are very princess like and dignified. I do not even see the non Jewish Queen of England wearing any of this. How much more so Jewish People.

Why are non-Jewish royalty -- specifically the Queen of England -- repeatedly held up as examples of how Jewish women should dress or behave?

The Queen of England wears pants and rides horses. How would that go down in your community?

She dresses like a frumpy Easter egg. Many Jewish communities prefer dark, subdued colors.

She always walks ahead of her husband, and not the other way around.

She's got one grandson who had numerous naked pool parties with nude or bikini-clad women. Her bachur is an adulterer who told his mistress he wished he was her tampon. What a messed up family. How would that "yichus" go over in the shidduch dating world? OTOH, she's loaded, so maybe that doesn't matter.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics