Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O Tipping
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
in a restaurant where I live they only charge 18% gratuity if there's waiter service, meaning you sit and you get served. so I walked in for lunch and saw the notice "we currently have waiter service..." I ordered at the counter, came to pick up my food and to get cutlery and I still got charge the gratuity. that's stealing!

You could say you don't want to tip if you're just picking up food.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 18 2018, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
in a restaurant where I live they only charge 18% gratuity if there's waiter service, meaning you sit and you get served. so I walked in for lunch and saw the notice "we currently have waiter service..." I ordered at the counter, came to pick up my food and to get cutlery and I still got charge the gratuity. that's stealing!

If you took the food to go, yes, that's stealing. If you ordered at the counter and got your own cutlery and then sat yourself down at a table and expected to bipass the expense of tipping a waiter, then you'd be stealing.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:32 am
Raisin wrote:
I think tipping is a terrible idea. Pay your staff properly, and add the cost onto the bill. It really stresses me out not knowing if I need to tip in different situations and in different countries.

I entirely agree, but until that happens, we have to go on tipping. I'm sure you didn't mean otherwise but sometimes people do hear reasonable objections to tipping that way.

Some service personal have to share tips (for example, waiters with the bar staff) and sometimes they have to pay based on the bill, not on actual tips, so I've seen waiters complain that not only weren't they tipped, they wound up paying to serve a table of non-tippers.

Last edited by imasoftov on Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 7:36 am
Maya wrote:
Kosher restaurants add on the mandatory tip because frum people don’t tip and need to be forced to do it.

Ouch. I read a lot of posts by waiters, in the US, I've lost count of the number of times someone told about a group that went out to eat after church on Sunday and tipped poorly or not at all (or left a religious pamplet).

GetReal

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 9:56 am
I never understood the tip as a percent thing. The waiter doesn't put in more effort to bring me an expensive steak than a chicken dish. So why tip more? I guess you need some way to figure out a tip and this is the easiest.

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:35 am
imasoftov wrote:
Ouch. I read a lot of posts by waiters, in the US, I've lost count of the number of times someone told about a group that went out to eat after church on Sunday and tipped poorly or not at all (or left a religious pamplet).

Jews make up less than 1.5% of the US population. You can't blame waiters for thinking every Sunday brunch is an after Church brunch.

I have no idea who tips more non-Jews or frum- Jews or non-frum-Jews. My experience living in Monsey is different than when I lived OOT. No one tips here unless strictly obligated and even then it is iffy. I tip installers, repair guys, and regular service providers like the garbage men.

Post Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:38 am
MiracleMama wrote:
If you took the food to go, yes, that's stealing. If you ordered at the counter and got your own cutlery and then sat yourself down at a table and expected to bipass the expense of tipping a waiter, then you'd be stealing.

ITA The table still has to be cleared and cleaned. I would be embarrassed to do that to a waiter. I have a relative who asks for hot water and brings her own tea bag. That's also stealing.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 12:13 am
why is it stealing if you bring your own tea bag?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 5:26 am
Squishy wrote:
You can't blame waiters for thinking every Sunday brunch is an after Church brunch.

I went back to read some of those columns to see if they assumed that, they didn't.

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 5:59 am
amother wrote:
why is it stealing if you bring your own tea bag?

It depends on whether you are being charged for the hot water or whether you are getting it for free. I don't know of places that will serve you free hot water now.

However if such a place exists, even though water is theoretically free, you are still costing the restaurant money to wash the cup as well as general overhead to buy and store the cup and silverware.

It's the same reason restaurants don't automatically serve water in many places especially during a water shortage. It's not that the water itself costs money generally but it's the water that is used to wash the water glass that uses water and energy.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics