Home

I vaccinate, am vegan, & have never given my kids candy AMA
Previous  1, 2

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Smokey

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:16 am
Have you met any friends that do things similarly to yourself?

PinkFridge

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:20 am
I was going to post this in immediate reactions because I don't have time to read the thread. Here's my question, if no one else asked yet:
But have your kids had candy?

Raisin

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:31 am
Do you nurse or only give your babies expressed breastmilk? If not, what do you do about formula?

What is the kashrus issue with beef vs chicken? And would your dh eat duck or lamb?

Do you have only one set of pots and plates in your kitchen? (presumably meat?)

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 12:32 pm
keym wrote:
OK. So I see your kids are little.
The no candy no junk thing. How do you see that playing out as they get older. (1) Will you buy ice cream and pizza to serve at their birthday party? (2) Will you let them buy chips and snacks to bring to school or to give out for shalach manos?
(3) How do you handle Pesach (unless you eat kitniyos)?
(4) Do you or your kids have food allergies? (I considered veganism for a while until my kids were diagnosed allergic to soy, nuts, peanuts, and many beans).
(5) Are you careful about what household cleansers you use?
(6) What car do you drive?

(1) Probably not, but I would be open to some kind of treat for them on occasion outside of the house.

(2) No, but I always send extra food for them to share (so they aren't the only ones with their particular snack).

(3) Fruits and vegetables. We don't eat kitniyos. My husband does eat chicken on y"t like Shabbos. No fish.

(4) BH no allergies.

(5) No. Use bleach, ajax, lysol, vinegar, etc.

(6) Not an electric one.

Raisin

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 12:46 pm
what is a typical lunchbox like for your kids? Do you buy bread?

keym

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 12:54 pm
nchr wrote:
(1) Probably not, but I would be open to some kind of treat for them on occasion outside of the house.

(2) No, but I always send extra food for them to share (so they aren't the only ones with their particular snack).

(3) Fruits and vegetables. We don't eat kitniyos. My husband does eat chicken on y"t like Shabbos. No fish.

(4) BH no allergies.

(5) No. Use bleach, ajax, lysol, vinegar, etc.

(6) Not an electric one.

Cool. I would love if there was a way for you to update in 5,10,20 years from now. I'm really curious what if anything would change as your kids get older, and more um... opinionated. Maybe nothing. Maybe tons.

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:06 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Thanks for all the answers! This is very interesting!
Do you ever feel like your missing out on good food at a milchig kiddush, or fleishig sheva brachos, buffet etc.?

No. I'm so used to it that I don't feel like I'm lacking anything. Kind of like kosher v. non kosher; however, DH says that he often has cravings he chooses to ignore.

ectomorph wrote:
Do your kids have a bedtime

Oh yeah, and we're pretty strict. Reasonable and fair, but strict.

amother wrote:
Do you think kosher chickens and cows are abused, based on what you've read?

I'm asking because I've seen some pro-vegan videos and literature that show very appalling situations for animals. I've wondered and hoped that kosher animals are treated differently.

Yes, I do believe so; however, there are most likely exceptions.

amother wrote:
Have you met any friends that do things similarly to yourself?

A few; however, many people feel like it is antithetical to Judaism to be vegan or antithetical to being healthy to vaccinate.

Raisin wrote:
(1)Do you nurse or only give your babies expressed breastmilk? If not, what do you do about formula?

(2)What is the kashrus issue with beef vs chicken? And would your dh eat duck or lamb?

(3)Do you have only one set of pots and plates in your kitchen? (presumably meat?)

(1) Yes
(2)DH would eat duck, but not lamb. All of the men in his family do not eat "beheimah fleish" so it is a minhag.
(3)I have pareve and then meat for when I prepare DH's Shabbos food (or that for guests)

PinkFridge wrote:
I was going to post this in immediate reactions because I don't have time to read the thread. Here's my question, if no one else asked yet:
But have your kids had candy?

Please refer to some of my previous responses on this comment.

amother

Ginger

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
Do you think kosher chickens and cows are abused, based on what you've read?

I'm asking because I've seen some pro-vegan videos and literature that show very appalling situations for animals. I've wondered and hoped that kosher animals are treated differently.

The conditions are appalling for kosher animals too.
I live in Israel (not op) and veganism is really catching on. Some of my young adult children are vegan. My younger children recently decided to be vegetarian and so did I. I decided on it due to both animal and environmental concerns (as I think op mentioned, the meat industry takes up vast amounts of water).
I do think veganism is the way to go, though I am not there yet. The cows and calves in the dairy industry live in torturous conditions.
Kol hakavod op.

amother

Pewter

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
The conditions are appalling for kosher animals too.
I live in Israel (not op) and veganism is really catching on. Some of my young adult children are vegan. My younger children recently decided to be vegetarian and so did I. I decided on it due to both animal and environmental concerns (as I think op mentioned, the meat industry takes up vast amounts of water).
I do think veganism is the way to go, though I am not there yet. The cows and calves in the dairy industry live in torturous conditions.
Kol hakavod op.

That's really sad, I was hoping to hear differently

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 2:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
what is a typical lunchbox like for your kids? Do you buy bread?

I don't usually buy bread, but there are some commercial ones that do not contain eggs which I've purchased in the past for the kids. Lunch is pretty much fruits, veggies, salads and some kind of quesadilla, sandwich or taco that has hummus, avacado, cashew dip, or fake fish with flavoring from seaweed, or vegan yogurt. For dinner, where things can be served warm and where things do not need to be as compact, we have more elaborate buffet-style selections.

Raisin

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:55 pm
nchr wrote:
I don't usually buy bread, but there are some commercial ones that do not contain eggs which I've purchased in the past for the kids. Lunch is pretty much fruits, veggies, salads and some kind of quesadilla, sandwich or taco that has hummus, avacado, cashew dip, or fake fish with flavoring from seaweed, or vegan yogurt. For dinner, where things can be served warm and where things do not need to be as compact, we have more elaborate buffet-style selections.

Please share some of your suppers too! I would love to have more vegan suppers, for various reasons. (environmental, cost, health) Not sure if my kids would eat them but maybe eventually.

amother

Natural

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:04 pm
nchr wrote:
I vaccinate, give antibiotics if necessary, am vegan (although my DH insists on having a traditional Shabbos meal with fish, chicken, liver and eggs - he does not eat red meat because of kashrus - so that is available on shabbos), send my children to the corner when they misbehave, and have absolutely no candy or processed foods in my house. AMA

Do you eat the meat/fish on Shabbos and if so, how do you call yourself Vegan?

amother

Ecru

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:07 pm
What do you do when your MD offers your kids a lollipop after getting a shot?

momX4

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:

I have taken my kids to many different doctors, over the last 10+ years. Not even one offered candy.

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
Do you eat the meat/fish on Shabbos and if so, how do you call yourself Vegan?

I do not eat those things. My husband does because he believes it it halachically required so IMO I do consider him vegan since he'd restrain himself for every reason except for religion.

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:

Mine has a toy box.

nchr

Post  Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:07 pm
Raisin wrote:
Please share some of your suppers too! I would love to have more vegan suppers, for various reasons. (environmental, cost, health) Not sure if my kids would eat them but maybe eventually.

Sure. I'll start a topic under kitchen, cooking or recipes (whatever the appropriate section is).
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h