Home

The silence is deafening
  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >>

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Ivory

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:54 am
How come no one here is discussing the fact that the Democrats won the house?

leah233

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:09 am
Becuase it was expected that they would.

No surprises and nothing that anyone can do.

What is there to discuss?

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:39 am
I think a lot of people are burned out from the campaigns and endless media coverage.

Also, no one has too much to either complain about or crow about. In the big picture, that's a very good thing.

The Democrats took the House as expected, but with a smaller-than-anticipated majority -- there was no Blue Wave.

The GOP picked up some Senate seats and some governorships, so they're pleased to be in a good position -- but there was no Red Wave, either.

The next interesting battle is going to be over whether Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker of the House. There's a fair amount of opposition among moderate Democrats who either publicly or privately pledged not to support her.

Oh, and in what is good news for everyone, it appears that the political opinions of the entertainment world were pretty much ignored. In a shocking development, people pretty much voted for the candidates they thought were best. Rolling Eyes

Mevater

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:51 am
Do the election results have any relationship with future encouragement of, or acts of, Anti-Semitism in the US?

In other words, are those who are prone to acts of Anti-semitism strengthened or weakened in any way by the results, or theres no difference?

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:52 am
Fox wrote:
I think a lot of people are burned out from the campaigns and endless media coverage.

Also, no one has too much to either complain about or crow about. In the big picture, that's a very good thing.

The Democrats took the House as expected, but with a smaller-than-anticipated majority -- there was no Blue Wave.

The GOP picked up some Senate seats and some governorships, so they're pleased to be in a good position -- but there was no Red Wave, either.

The next interesting battle is going to be over whether Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker of the House. There's a fair amount of opposition among moderate Democrats who either publicly or privately pledged not to support her.

Oh, and in what is good news for everyone, it appears that the political opinions of the entertainment world were pretty much ignored. In a shocking development, people pretty much voted for the candidates they thought were best. Rolling Eyes

Actually, I think that the election results were a huge (if you'll excuse the term) victory for Trump. He energized his base in a way that rarely happens for the governing party in a midterm election, and picked up enough seats in the Senate that having a single Senator fail to toe the party line is no longer a crisis for him.

gold21

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:57 am
Because I don't have a clear picture of what actually happened here and what the impact will be on politics. I had never really been into politics and got into it for the first time with the 2016 presidential campaign. I don't yet have a handle on the midterms. Anyone wanna explain?

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Actually, I think that the election results were a huge (if you'll excuse the term) victory for Trump. He energized his base in a way that rarely happens for the governing party in a midterm election, and picked up enough seats in the Senate that having a single Senator fail to toe the party line is no longer a crisis for him.

Well, that's certainly how the GOP and Trump will attempt to spin it.

I think the real question is whether the leaders in both parties will be willing to heed the lessons that were administered:

* Will Trump get the message that while he generally enjoys a reasonable level of support, (a) no one is willing to give him carte blanche and (b) he will need to be a bit more conciliatory?

* Will the Democratic Party leadership get the messages that (a) progressives like Abrams, O'Rourke, and Gillum are unlikely to win beyond the district level; and (b) that stunts like the Kavanaugh hearings don't go over well with the electorate?

Certainly, a solid majority in the Senate makes for easier confirmations, etc., but if the GOP doesn't address healthcare, they won't be in power long enough to nominate or confirm too many more judges. Likewise, if the Democrats do nothing with their House majority but complain about Trump and launch endless investigations, they won't enjoy their majority too long, either.

Hopefully, all the people involved are, if not good enough to heed these lessons, at least smart enough and ambitious enough to heed them. Perhaps, though, I shouldn't hold my breath.

On the plus side for us all, perhaps Taylor Swift will be discouraged from further political involvement.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:02 pm
Fox, I really hope everyone learns point a and b.

And I hope the democrats actually try to work and compromise instead of wasting time trying to impeach Trump.

I also don't think Taylor Swift should stop her endorsements; I think she has the right to do that.

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:34 pm
Well, Trump is speaking now, and he's hitting the right notes -- stressing unity and praising Pelosi.

Here's a strategic trick that Trump uses that everyone should notice: in every single speech, he mentions a lot of up-and-coming Republicans at all levels. This gets the names of these people in front of a national audience and generates additional press for elected officials who ordinarily wouldn't merit national coverage.

This is part of what President Obama should have been doing to strengthen the Democratic Party during his eight years in office.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:38 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Fox, I really hope everyone learns point a and b.

And I hope the democrats actually try to work and compromise instead of wasting time trying to impeach Trump.

I also don't think Taylor Swift should stop her endorsements; I think she has the right to do that.

Its difficult to work with someone who refuses to work with you.

For the past 6 years, the Republicans have steadfastly refused to work with the Democrats, first under Obama (as Boehner said of Obama's agenda, "“We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can” -- hardly words of compromise), and for the past 2 years under Trump. Trump has referred to Democrats as "wacko." "Too dangerous to govern." And "angry, left-wing mob" who he compared to arsonists. "They would turn our country so fast into Venezuela ...."

How does one compromise with that?

As a Democrat, Trump has made me feel disenfranchised. In the past, presidents have at least attempted to use rhetoric of inclusiveness -- to make clear that they are at least trying to govern everyone, not only those who support them.

Trump's rhetoric makes it clear that he does not have my interests at heart, and that he doesn't want to.

How do you compromise with someone who believes that you are "dangerous" and a "wacko."

Mevater

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:45 pm
Mevater wrote:
Do the election results have any relationship with future encouragement of, or acts of, Anti-Semitism in the US?

In other words, are those who are prone to acts of Anti-semitism strengthened or weakened in any way by the results, or theres no difference?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I think most of us agree that there are Anti-Semites on both sides of the aisle, so maybe election results will have zero effect on Anti-Semitism.

But so soon after Pittsburgh, when many Jews throughout the US are still so shaken, Gab the forum where this guy was on, was taken off, and now its back on.

Its really on my mind.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:53 pm
I don't have an opinion.
I think some democrats are anti-Zionist, and some republicans are anti-Jewish.

I think we are in galus.

flowerpower

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:59 pm
Why aren’t the republicans making protest and marches like the democrats would of done???? Maybe because they’re working?

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:07 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Why aren’t the republicans making protest and marches like the democrats would of done???? Maybe because they’re working?

Because they won the Senate.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Because they won.

There is a Republican President.

There is a Republican Senate, that handles all confirmations.

And you clearly have forgotten everything that happened under Obama is you think that the Republicans sat quietly and said "oh well, we lost" while not in control.

flowerpower

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Because they won.

There is a Republican President.

There is a Republican Senate, that handles all confirmations.

And you clearly have forgotten everything that happened under Obama is you think that the Republicans sat quietly and said "oh well, we lost" while not in control.

One big goal they plan to achieve now is work on impeaching Trump and Kevenough( however you spell it). Why don’t they work on things that will actually help American people?

I don’t remember even one march or protest take place while Obama was in the office besides for the “ we are the 99 percent” that took place near wall street.

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:20 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I think we are in galus.

This.

I've been interested that no one has brought up the article in the NYT, which acknowledged that anti-Semitism (Is It Safe to be Jewish in New York?) is largely ignored by the chattering classes because it largely affects people whom they disdain and look down upon.

Quote:
Contrary to what are surely the prevailing assumptions, anti-Semitic incidents have constituted half of all hate crimes in New York this year, according to the Police Department. To put that figure in context, there have been four times as many crimes motivated by bias against Jews — 142 in all — as there have against blacks. Hate crimes against Jews have outnumbered hate crimes targeted at transgender people by a factor of 20.

Quote:
If anti-Semitism bypasses consideration as a serious problem in New York, it is to some extent because it refuses to conform to an easy narrative with a single ideological enemy. During the past 22 months, not one person caught or identified as the aggressor in an anti-Semitic hate crime has been associated with a far right-wing group, Mark Molinari, commanding officer of the police department’s Hate Crimes Task Force, told me. “I almost wish it was sometimes more clear cut,’’ he said. “It’s every identity targeting every identity.”

Quote:
When a Hasidic man or woman is attacked by anyone in New York City, mainstream progressive advocacy groups do not typically send out emails calling for concern and fellowship and candlelight vigils in Union Square, as they often do when individuals are harmed in New York because of their race or ethnicity or how they identify in terms of gender or s-xual orientation.

Sympathies are distributed unevenly. Few are extended toward religious fundamentalists, of any kind, who reach the radar of the urbane, “Pod Save America” class only when stories appear confirming existing impressions of backwardness — the hordes of children delivered into the world whom families refuse to vaccinate and keep semiliterate.

The Anti-Defamation League maintains its own statistics and last year it reported that nine of the 12 physical assaults against Jews categorized as hate crimes in New York State were committed in Brooklyn and involved victims who were easily marked as members of traditionally Orthodox communities. Outside that world they were hardly noticed at all.

Aside from the disgusting and offensive ignorance displayed by calling Jews of any kind "fundamentalists" -- the journalist and editors apparently never took a college religion course and therefore believe that any kind of religious Orthodoxy is the same as fundamentalism -- the article confirms the thesis that the left cares nothing about hate as long as it is directed toward those whom they hate, too.

amother

Amethyst

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:24 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Huh? So all people who march or protest are unemployed? I see a lot of frum men walking around BP and Willy during the day but I don’t assume they’re not working. What an odd statement.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:26 pm
flowerpower wrote:
One big goal they plan to achieve now is work on impeaching Trump and Kevenough( however you spell it). Why don’t they work on things that will actually help American people?

I don’t remember even one march or protest take place while Obama was in the office besides for the “ we are the 99 percent” that took place near wall street.

Says whom? All I've seen is reports of them trying to work on policy such as infrastructure and health insurance for preexisting conditions. I've seen the opposite- I've seen calls from democrats to hold off on the impeachment talk and have a more substantive agenda.
Let's hope these sort of democrats prevail

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Oh, right! Now I remember!

The National Review urged us all to take to the streets and confront Democrats in restaurants, etc. Charles Krauthammer, a"h, urged us all to do whatever we could to #RESIST. Restaurants refused to serve members of the Obama administration. Republicans around the country assaulted people wearing Obama gear and set fire to cars with Obama stickers. Riots broke out when liberals attempted to speak at colleges.

I guess I just had a memory lapse . . . maybe I was too busy clinging to my guns or religion or whatever.
  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 14 View latest: 24h 48h 72h