Home

The silence is deafening
  Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >>

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

icebreaker

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:30 pm
Because we’re burnt out! Or maybe it’s just me. I’m tired of the back and forth, the digs at one another from both sides, the name calling, the inability for people to act civil towards one another. Am I happy the Dems won the House? Sure. Am I happy these elections are over? YES! Now we can all go back to our regularly scheduled programming of Dem vs Repub minus the elections.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:32 pm
Fox wrote:
Well, Trump is speaking now, and he's hitting the right notes -- stressing unity and praising Pelosi.

Here's a strategic trick that Trump uses that everyone should notice: in every single speech, he mentions a lot of up-and-coming Republicans at all levels. This gets the names of these people in front of a national audience and generates additional press for elected officials who ordinarily wouldn't merit national coverage.

This is part of what President Obama should have been doing to strengthen the Democratic Party during his eight years in office.

Stressing unity? You mean before or after he threatened the Democrats about some sort of an investigation. Before of after he told the Democrats that he would adopt a "warlike posture" if they investigated him (or, presumably, finally got a hold of his tax returns). Or before or after he made a person attack on Jim Accosta as a "rude, terrible person."

amother

Sapphire

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:33 pm
Quote:
* Will the Democratic Party leadership get the messages that (a) progressives like Abrams, O'Rourke, and Gillum are unlikely to win beyond the district level; and (b) that stunts like the Kavanaugh hearings don't go over well with the electorate? 

I would be very hesitant interpret the Senate results as a referendum on Kavanaugh.

Bredesen announced that he would have supported Kavanaugh--he lost.

Heitkamp was struggling in the polls even before she announced her opposition.

Jon Tester won reelection despite opposing Kavanaugh, and Trump fought for Montana harder than any other state.

Dean Heller supported Kavanaugh and lost.

Democrats in PA, OH, MI and WI easily won reelection -- no Kavanaugh effect there.

Kavanaugh might have been *a* factor but certainly not a major factor in control of the Senate.

And sometimes elected officials need to take a stance and do what they believe is right, regardless of what it does to their electoral chances.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Stressing unity? You mean before or after he threatened the Democrats about some sort of an investigation. Before of after he told the Democrats that he would adopt a "warlike posture" if they investigated him (or, presumably, finally got a hold of his tax returns). Or before or after he made a person attack on Jim Accosta as a "rude, terrible person."

I think he still deserves credit where credit is due.

I like how he behaved respectfully toward Pelosi thus far.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I think he still deserves credit where credit is due.

I like how he behaved respectfully toward Pelosi thus far.

He wants her to be Speaker of the House because she's a divisive person.

But we'll see. Trump usually just can't help himself in terms of his rhetoric. Wasn't it last week that he said that Democrats “run around like antifa” demonstrators in black uniforms and black helmets, but underneath, they have “this weak little face” and “go back home into mommy’s basement.” Nice conciliatory words.

He can't help himself.

itsmeima

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:55 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I don't have an opinion.
I think some democrats are anti-Zionist, and some republicans are anti-Jewish.

I think we are in galus.

Your comment got me thinking... I'm actually curious, which one would you pick?

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:57 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Or before or after he made a person attack on Jim Accosta as a "rude, terrible person."

Something else most of us apparently agree on, given CNN's ratings! A lot of the blue-checked journos are being awfully quiet about this. I'm thinking Accosta's general lack of popularity among his colleagues combined with his treatment of the female aide may be a tipping point.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 1:58 pm
Fox wrote:
Oh, right! Now I remember!

The National Review urged us all to take to the streets and confront Democrats in restaurants, etc. Charles Krauthammer, a"h, urged us all to do whatever we could to #RESIST. Restaurants refused to serve members of the Obama administration. Republicans around the country assaulted people wearing Obama gear and set fire to cars with Obama stickers. Riots broke out when liberals attempted to speak at colleges.

I guess I just had a memory lapse . . . maybe I was too busy clinging to my guns or religion or whatever.

Nah, they just talked about that N****r president, and hung him in effigy. Sang songs about the "Magic Negro" -- heck, Fox News even played it. Made posters and memes comparing him to a monkey or a chimp. Oh, but that wasn't restaurateurs. That was actual elected officials.

As to #Resist -- how do YOU interpret McConnell and Boehner's statements regarding Obama's agenda? (Do you think that Trump is inviting the Democrats to sneak into the White House to discuss compromise? Like Boehner did with Obama.)

amother

Red

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:02 pm
Fox wrote:
Well, Trump is speaking now, and he's hitting the right notes -- stressing unity and praising Pelosi.

Laughing you must have not watched the whole thing!

Mevater

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:04 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I think some democrats are anti-Zionist, and some republicans are anti-Jewish.

Who says you cant be both? Isnt Keith Ellison both anti-Zionist and anti-Jewish?

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:04 pm
Fox wrote:
Something else most of us apparently agree on, given CNN's ratings! A lot of the blue-checked journos are being awfully quiet about this. I'm thinking Accosta's general lack of popularity among his colleagues combined with his treatment of the female aide may be a tipping point.

You can think whatever you want of anyone you want.

But those are not words that the president of the United States should be saying at a press conference.

He called Acosta -- and CNN -- an "enemy of the people." That's an attack on the free press. Its just plain wrong.

And I really don't give a darn whether his colleagues like him, or anything else. Its about the First Amendment, and this administration's attack on it.

OK. Enough from me. I need to get some work done.

itsmeima

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:05 pm
Did you hear about the pimp who won, even though he died a few weeks ago - I thought that was hilarious!

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:10 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Your comment got me thinking... I'm actually curious, which one would you pick?

Neither.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
He wants her to be Speaker of the House because she's a divisive person.

But we'll see. Trump usually just can't help himself in terms of his rhetoric. Wasn't it last week that he said that Democrats “run around like antifa” demonstrators in black uniforms and black helmets, but underneath, they have “this weak little face” and “go back home into mommy’s basement.” Nice conciliatory words.

He can't help himself.

Democrats have not been civil either.

And I don't think Trump would have the disciple to be nice to Pelosi just because he wants to her be speaker. Sounds too calculated for a guy like trump, who seems much more spontaneous.

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:13 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Nah, they just talked about that N****r president, and hung him in effigy. Sang songs about the "Magic Negro" -- heck, Fox News even played it. Made posters and memes comparing him to a monkey or a chimp. Oh, but that wasn't restaurateurs. That was actual elected officials.

Um, I think you missed the point of the "Magic Negro" -- it was about the stupidity of electing someone simply to assuage white guilt. It was an argument for judging people by their accomplishments and qualifications.

And who were all these prominent elected officials who created posters comparing Obama to a monkey or a chimp? Leaders in their parties or another handful of loons who've been relegated to the dust heap?

Please don't compare anonymous racists on social media with all the prominent individuals receiving press coverage who engage in Holocaust minimization by comparing Trump to Hitler.

SixOfWands wrote:
As to #Resist -- how do YOU interpret McConnell and Boehner's statements regarding Obama's agenda? (Do you think that Trump is inviting the Democrats to sneak into the White House to discuss compromise? Like Boehner did with Obama.)

Lol, I certainly didn't interpret McConnell's or Boehner's statements as suggestions to riot or assault people. And I have no doubt that Trump is working through back channels with Democrats.

iyar

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:30 pm
Mevater wrote:
Do the election results have any relationship with future encouragement of, or acts of, Anti-Semitism in the US?

In other words, are those who are prone to acts of Anti-semitism strengthened or weakened in any way by the results, or theres no difference?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY Dem) is about to become the youngest congresswoman and everyone's darling. She's virulently anti-Israel and poised to become our very own Jeremy Corbyn. She's referred to violence at the Gaza border as a "massacre" perpetrated by Israel.

Two Muslim women were elected to Congress:
Ilhan Omar, who came to the US as a Somali refugee, refers to Israel as an apartheid state.
Rashida Tlaib calls herself a Palestinian American. Her father was born in Yerushalayim and her mother near Ramallah, though she was born in Detroit. She supports a one state solution, in other words the end of Israel.

To quote our friend, allthingsblue,
"I think we are in galus."

Fox

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
He called Acosta -- and CNN -- an "enemy of the people." That's an attack on the free press. Its just plain wrong.

And I really don't give a darn whether his colleagues like him, or anything else. Its about the First Amendment, and this administration's attack on it.

No one has thrown Jim Accosta in jail. No one has shut down CNN.

Anyone claiming that Accosta and CNN are under attack is mocking journalists around the world who really are under attack -- like the 18 journalists killed in Mexico this year for reporting on the cartels. Or the journalists imprisoned in Turkey.

The First Amendment allows Accosta and CNN to say what they want without fear of the government. It does not grant them freedom from criticism or having mean things said to them. Frankly, given CNN's market share and declining prestige, I think it's a chesed for the President or Sanders to call on Accosta as often as they do.

Mevater

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:42 pm
iyar wrote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY Dem) is about to become the youngest congresswoman and everyone's darling. She's virulently anti-Israel and poised to become our very own Jeremy Corbyn. She's referred to violence at the Gaza border as a "massacre" perpetrated by Israel.

Ilhan Omar, who came to the US as a Somali refugee, refers to Israel as an apartheid state.
Rashida Tlaib calls herself a Palestinian American. Her father was born in Yerushalayim and her mother near Ramallah, though she was born in Detroit. She supports a one state solution, in other words the end of Israel.

When my ancestors in Europe smelled trouble, some immigrated to the USA and some said nothing will come of it, and stayed and died. Some survived the Holocaust. Were already in the US, where do we escape to? Is Israel the only safe place?

simcha2

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:46 pm
iyar wrote:

Yup and Steve King was reelected.

marina

Post  Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:48 pm
Fox wrote:
No one has thrown Jim Accosta in jail. No one has shut down CNN.

Anyone claiming that Accosta and CNN are under attack is mocking journalists around the world who really are under attack -- like the 18 journalists killed in Mexico this year for reporting on the cartels. Or the journalists imprisoned in Turkey.

The First Amendment allows Accosta and CNN to say what they want without fear of the government. It does not grant them freedom from criticism or having mean things said to them. Frankly, given CNN's market share and declining prestige, I think it's a chesed for the President or Sanders to call on Accosta as often as they do.

Just here to point out the obvious, that: (1) Trump is the government; (2) The free speech/free press clauses are not so narrow as to only protect journalists from murder; and (3) courts routinely find government officials to be at risk for chilling people's first amendment rights for a tiny fraction of the comments Trump has made.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 14 View latest: 24h 48h 72h