Home

The silence is deafening
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >>

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

DrMom

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:26 am
The results are difficult to interpret, which is why it's not an exciting news story. Nuance doesn't sell.

amother

Periwinkle

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:57 am
I didn’t read the whole thread so forgive me if I’m repeating.
But do you know the reason for the silence?
Because the republicans lost the house and they know how to take a loss like intelligent, classy people.

Imagine the other way around, the riots, the blaming, and the violence that would ensue...

amother

Sapphire

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
I didn’t read the whole thread so forgive me if I’m repeating.
But do you know the reason for the silence?
Because the republicans lost the house and they know how to take a loss like intelligent, classy people.

Imagine the other way around, the riots, the blaming, and the violence that would ensue...

Trump knew how to take it, alright. He had a public meltdown at his press conference and then wasted no time firing the attorney general to install an unqualified stooge to end the Mueller investigation.

allthingsblue

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:40 am
The pettiness of the country is what scares me the most.
They (we?) are like little children, contstantly bickering about who gets the little red ball and who started the fight.

Squishy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:57 am
A question for liberals:

Should there be any consequences for Acosta not yielding the mic when repeatedly told to do so? Or should his disorderly behavior be accepted ?

amother

Lavender

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
Trump knew how to take it, alright. He had a public meltdown at his press conference and then wasted no time firing the attorney general to install an unqualified stooge to end the Mueller investigation.

He’s also the poster boy for classy and intelligent Republican, lets not forget that.

Squishy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
He’s also the poster boy for classy and intelligent Republican, lets not forget that.

He is the poster boy for millions of disenfranchised Americans. He speaks to the silent majority. He doesn't need to come across as elite. He comes across as a guy who gets their issues.

marina

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:42 am
Fox wrote:
Except, of course, when those 1A rights are being exercised by speakers on public-funded college campuses.

Sorry, but the press lost any moral authority they might have once possessed long, long ago -- certainly before Trump came on the scene.

The job the press is doing right now is thoroughly incompetent, and how any sincere critic of Trump could defend them is beyond me. They behave like cats chasing a laser toy while by and large declining to do even rudimentary investigative journalism into any of the real issues -- like deregulation, for example -- that might actually be meaningful.

Trump may call certain networks and reporters "the enemy of the people" because he feels they lie about him. However, I would argue that they also earn the epithet by abdicating any responsibility to the public that they might have.

No idea what point you’re trying to make about college campuses.

But free speech and free press aren’t rights dependent on your estimation of moral authority. They are rights that belong to journalists whom you don’t like or disagree with. It’s not only Breitbart and frontpagemag that enjoy the first amendment.

amother

Lavender

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:42 am
Squishy wrote:
He is the poster boy for millions of disenfranchised Americans. He speaks to the silent majority. He doesn't need to come across as elite. He comes across as a guy who gets their issues.

I can’t decide which sentence is the funniest.

Squishy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
I love debating with you. All these brilliant comeback and one liners. Smart as a whip.

I reported you. Your level of nastiness as amother is vile as amother.

PinkFridge

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
Is that really you or an impostor.

This is apropos to 6ofWands summation of the election: I'm sure someone else has said this. What Six said was not strictly fact, it was interpretation but so obvious it was basically objective fact. Why is it surprising for Six to say an objective fact, even if it's possible she would have desired a different outcome?

amother

Burgundy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:55 am
I find it interesting that Republicans keep bringing up the fact that Democrats hit the streets after Trump got elected and protested and seem to be suggesting that is proof of not being able to accept a loss.

Do you think there would have been such protests if a 'normal' republican like John McCain or another Bush would have won?

Do you really honestly not see the difference? Trump was never a normal candidate and he isn't a normal president. He is extreme. He is populist and nationalist and propagates views that are not mainstream, to put it mildly. So this sparks off a more extreme response. People hit the streets because they want to be on the right side of history. In 50 years they want to be able to tell their grandchildren that when he got elected, they did not stay silent. They were not complicit.

marina

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:56 am
Squishy wrote:

He’s the poster boy for drunk angry uncles at barbecues around the country and screaming toddlers who got a blue cup instead of the red one they wanted.

PinkFridge

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:56 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Im asking a real question here. Not trying to be sarcastic.

I am confused and wondering what people mean when they say the republicans won more seats.

What people mean is, the Senate has now been pretty much safely cemented for the Republicans, which is a definite advantage, considering how important the Senate is, e.g. for confirmations. And as a check against the House, if necessary.

PinkFridge

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:02 am
marina wrote:
He’s the poster boy for drunk angry uncles at barbecues around the country and screaming toddlers who got a blue cup instead of the red one they wanted.

I am afraid that that might be a sizable subset of the disenfranchised Americans. Who might vote Republican for many of the solid reasons the rational and temperate people do. But who still give pause.

amother

Burgundy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:40 am
leah233 wrote:
Not complicit in what? Please be specific.

In general, complicit in his policies... Not making an exhaustive list, but to name a few:

- creating a toxic political climate
- entrusting the most powerful position of the country to a playground bully
- fear mongering and in division
- rolling back policies on climate protection
- rolling back policies of endangered species protection
- family separation as US policy
- reforming health care in such a way that millions of Americans would lose coverage..

I could go on but I think you get the idea. By protesting, people are showing that this is not what all Americans (or even the majority) wants.

Squishy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:44 am
marina wrote:

Then why is his approval rating so high ? What percentage of the country is drunk or toddlers? Do you subscribe to the notion that over 40% of the voters are drunk or toddlers?

marina

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:51 am
Squishy wrote:
Then why is his approval rating so high ? What percentage of the country is drunk or toddlers? Do you subscribe to the notion that over 40% of the voters are drunk or toddlers?

most people I know who voted for Trump did so despite his uncouth divisive rhetoric, not because of it.

In addition, I think Trump’s approval ratings are comparable to Obama’s Reagan’s etc at same time. Not particularly high.

Mevater

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:03 am
marina wrote:
most people I know who voted for Trump did so despite his uncouth divisive rhetoric, not because of it.

In addition, I think Trump’s approval ratings are comparable to Obama’s Reagan’s etc at same time. Not particularly high.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictur.....y-2017/42/

FDR is considered one of the 5 best USA Presidents among all USA Presidents, and yet many Jews blame him for not being as helpful as he could have been during the Holocaust.

As a Jew I care more about which President does more for security of Jews and Israel. Thats my gauge.

Squishy

Post  Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:10 am
marina wrote:

I agree, but still a huge chunk of the country approves of him including 40% of the black people. He speaks to other people who find him a poster boy for policies we had given up on. Some of us are sick of our country being given away and watching a permanent American underclass treated worse than illegal immigrants.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 5 of 14 View latest: 24h 48h 72h