Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this hit and run? do I have to file police report?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

asmileaday

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:14 am
Wow I can't wrap my head around why posters are being so mean to the op (as amother no less).
If you don't know the answer to her question just say you don't know. If you think you know the answer and don't want liability just put a disclaimer that this isn't legal advice.
It's so easy to be nice!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
Best practices in case of a collision is a different matter. Her son already left the scene of an accident which can range from an infraction to a criminal charge. She needs to consult an attorney.

This isn't legal advice.

I don't see where we are disagreeing on that point.

A_Mother_First

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
Well this post shows u clearly have no respect for certain ppl and u obviously ignored my points. This entire site is based on free advice. Lawyers are not more special than any other professional here who gives free advice which is majority on this site.

OP, I am sorry that you have been given nasty responses by some people. Writing an unkind, unhelpful response is very easy...It sounds like you are already going through enough aggravation. I also could be wrong, but it sounds like your son tried to do the right, responsible thing, by leaving his information at the site, only to be taken advantage by the other driver who is now perhaps trying to frame it as a 'hit and run'. It would have been easier for your son to just leave (especially since the other car was not legally parked which may have contributed to bumping into it -- again, I do not have all the facts). But he did not. He was a mentch, and a law abiding citizen. You raised him right. I just wanted to say that. I hope that you find a resolution soon, and that it all works out well. I am glad that no one is hurt. Have a great week.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
Yes, doctors and lawyers are more special. They are held to higher standards. They have more training and education and graduate more rigorous programs and then pass more difficult licensing exams.

You are asking legal advice. Let a therapist or a nurse give you legal advice since doctors and lawyers are equal to them in your opinion.

So I disagree with u bec yes, drs and lawyers may have more years of schooling than some other professionals like a physical therapist or...but everyone who has a license is held to certain standards that put their license in jeopardy. It seems u are saying these ppl shouldn't give free advice, focus on the word free. I dont believe a lawyer sharing info about a law(which is a fact) is a problem but it seems,the issue is about it being free.

Anyway, I didnt ask any lawyers to give me free advice and I dont mind getting advice from non lawyers.

Looking at my post, I asked about a law. I didn't ask if I should go to a lawyer and didnt say only lawyers respond.

If u or anyone wants to advise me to go to a lawyer,(which is not wat I asked about) , then at least be polite and we can agree to disagree. But, since u think lawyers are more important(superior) than others I got that impression from the mean way that "advice" was written which is why I felt that post was basically telling me that I have no right to ask. But, I do have the right.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:16 am
asmileaday wrote:
Wow I can't wrap my head around why posters are being so mean to the op (as amother no less).
If you don't know the answer to her question just say you don't know. If you think you know the answer and don't want liability just put a disclaimer that this isn't legal advice.
It's so easy to be nice!

I don't see how advising someone after they left the scene of an accident is not legal advice. A disclaimer would not accomplish that.

Perhaps if OP was not denigrating doctors and lawyers, a lawyer would have taken pity on her and answered her questions and assumed liability.

Did it ever occur to you that her attitude that her son is not going to pay for an attorney may have caused the reaction? A softer approach may have gotten a different reaction.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:17 am
A_Mother_First wrote:
OP, I am sorry that you have been given nasty responses by some people. Writing an unkind, unhelpful response is very easy...It sounds like you are already going through enough aggravation. I also could be wrong, but it sounds like your son tried to do the right, responsible thing, by leaving his information at the site, only to be taken advantage by the other driver who is now perhaps trying to frame it as a 'hit and run'. It would have been easier for your son to just leave (especially since the other car was not legally parked which may have contributed to bumping into it -- again, I do not have all the facts). But he did not. He was a mentch, and a law abiding citizen. You raised him right. I just wanted to say that. I hope that you find a resolution soon, and that it all works out well. I am glad that no one is hurt. Have a great week.

Thanks for the support. Yes, its very aggravating, and bh noone was hurt and that is the most important thing.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:31 am
https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/v......html Doesn't seem to be classified as a hit and run if he went to police as soon as possible. The question is if he did though.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
So I disagree with u bec yes, drs and lawyers may have more years of schooling than some other professionals like a physical therapist or...but everyone who has a license is held to certain standards that put their license in jeopardy. It seems u are saying these ppl shouldn't give free advice, focus on the word free. I dont believe a lawyer sharing info about a law(which is a fact) is a problem but it seems,the issue is about it being free.

Anyway, I didnt ask any lawyers to give me free advice and I dont mind getting advice from non lawyers.

Looking at my post, I asked about a law. I didn't ask if I should go to a lawyer and didnt say only lawyers respond.

If u or anyone wants to advise me to go to a lawyer,(which is not wat I asked about) , then at least be polite and we can agree to disagree. But, since u think lawyers are more important(superior) than others I got that impression from the mean way that "advice" was written which is why I felt that post was basically telling me that I have no right to ask. But, I do have the right.

Physical therapists have the exact same level degree and years of training as a lawyer.

Carry on.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 10:57 am
amother wrote:

You don't have a right to ask someone to put their license in jeopardy. You also misunderstand the licensing of professions. Actually a physical therapist cannot legally give legal advice.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Physical therapists have the exact same level degree and years of training as a lawyer.

Carry on.

I happen to be a doctor, and I find this discussion so petty, sad and unnecessary.

A fellow Jewish mother has come here for information and support. She is obviously distraught over this, and such responses are unhelpful, and only add to her aggravation level.

Some of the posters here are obviously bored, and not very invested in helpfing a fellow Jew.
(This is true regarding many of the other threads here as well.)

Please take a good look in the mirror. You may discover your kind eye somewhere in there. You may not have used your good, kind eye in a while. But it is never too late.

A_Mother_First

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
You don't have a right to ask someone to put their license in jeopardy. You also misunderstand the licensing of professions. Actually a physical therapist cannot legally give legal advice.

Some information is regarded common knowledge and may not consist of legal advice. She was not asking anyone to put their license on the line for her. (and I have a license as well -- won't say which one, and I know about licensing).

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
I don't see how advising someone after they left the scene of an accident is not legal advice. A disclaimer would not accomplish that.

Perhaps if OP was not denigrating doctors and lawyers, a lawyer would have taken pity on her and answered her questions and assumed liability.

Did it ever occur to you that her attitude that her son is not going to pay for an attorney may have caused the reaction? A softer approach may have gotten a different reaction.

Obviously!

Look, if you run into a physical therapist at a party and say "I've been getting a sharp pain in my hip, radiating down my leg when I walk more than a few blocks," he's going to say "hmm, you should make an appointment to get that looked at." But if you say "I'm not going to actually PAY you to examine it. Just tell me what to do," that therapist is going to refuse.

And the doctor asked about an earache is going to say "have someone look at it." If you ever encounter a doctor who says "that's nothing" without examining the child, run, fast, in the opposite direction. Preferably to a better doctor.

So why is it so awful to say "see an attorney"? Because OP thinks that legal advice, unlike other advice, should be free?

OP, may I ask what you do for a living? So I can ask you to give me opinions about it, without all of the information, and for free. Oh, and so you can risk your livelihood in doing so. I'm sure you won't mind.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
I happen to be a doctor, and I find this discussion so petty, sad and unnecessary.

A fellow Jewish mother has come here for information and support. She is obviously distraught over this, and such responses are unhelpful, and only add to her aggravation level.

Some of the posters here are obviously bored, and not very invested in helpfing a fellow Jew.

Please take a good look in the mirror. You may discover your kind eye somewhere in there. You may not have used your good, kind eye in a while. But it is never too late.

Because your post was so kind and helpful? Ok. Got any of your own mirrors?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:36 am
OH MY GOSH get a grip! Or a life!
How many times have we had a thread asking if its normal to be spotting at 24 weeks, and we advised, we didnt say "no ones helping you because we have licenses to protect, go to your OB"...
We have had MYRIAD threads about ear aches, odd stomachs symptoms, digestion issues, crohns and colitis, babies not nursing well, tongue tie, celiac disease, psoriasis, copyright infringement, financial issues, estate planning and wills, property boundaries lssues etc etc and we ALWAYS try to help a fellow imamother.
We have had questions about apraxia, borderline personality disorder, ADD, and broken faucets.
And anyone who knows any info about anything, chimes in to help a fellow sister.

I mean really, this thread is just ridiculous.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:42 am
amother wrote:

I'm so glad that you said this!

Not to take over the OP's thread, but my DD is running a fever, and her right side is tender. I DON'T WANT TO PAY A DOCTOR, SO DON'T TELL ME TO SEE A DOCTOR. Just tell me if its appendicitis.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 12:10 pm
Just thought of another really common one-how many times has someone posted here that she doesnt know what to do legally and financially because she wants to divorce her abusive husband, or she thinks he's going to divorce her-and EVERYONE who knows anything at all gives her all the legal/financial advice she needs. Seriously whats the big deal...

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Well this post shows u clearly have no respect for certain ppl and u obviously ignored my points. This entire site is based on free advice. Lawyers are not more special than any other professional here who gives free advice which is majority on this site.

When you're in a hole, stop digging.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:50 am
amother wrote:
Obviously!

Look, if you run into a physical therapist at a party and say "I've been getting a sharp pain in my hip, radiating down my leg when I walk more than a few blocks," he's going to say "hmm, you should make an appointment to get that looked at." But if you say "I'm not going to actually PAY you to examine it. Just tell me what to do," that therapist is going to refuse.

And the doctor asked about an earache is going to say "have someone look at it." If you ever encounter a doctor who says "that's nothing" without examining the child, run, fast, in the opposite direction. Preferably to a better doctor.

So why is it so awful to say "see an attorney"? Because OP thinks that legal advice, unlike other advice, should be free?

OP, may I ask what you do for a living? So I can ask you to give me opinions about it, without all of the information, and for free. Oh, and so you can risk your livelihood in doing so. I'm sure you won't mind.

Guess what? I have a right to ask anything I want here. But, I didnt ask lawyers anything. NEWSFLASH: a lot of non lawyers know about laws based on life experiencss.

Its your attitude that u are superior and u think u cant talk to anyone without being paid yet others could bec they are not as "special" ...which is wrong. But, u are entitled to believe wat u want. U can tell me im wrong for saying I wont pay for....but again, why is it ur business?? Only bec u are upset if a lawyer gives me advice for free??? And how would I know whos giving me advice here???

Well guess what?? Its non of ur business if I pay or not. Everyone here posts. Again, show me where I wrote that lawyers must help me for free. I didnt!! Im allowed to ask and do wat I want with advice, with my money...so tell me why does it bother u if some anonymous lawyer or nonlawyer here gives me advice??? It seems your thinking that lawuyers are superior is getting in the way of thinking logically.

Maybe wen anyone offers someone a ride home from a wedding, u believe they should charge?? Pls dont tell me its different bec lawyers' licenses are in jeopardy. No, I didnt write in my post one word about lawyers. And contrary to ur belief, a lot of nonlawyers know about laws too.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:51 am
gamanit wrote:
https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-600.html Doesn't seem to be classified as a hit and run if he went to police as soon as possible. The question is if he did though.

Thank u this is helpful. It was reported.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 4:03 am
amother wrote:
Guess what? I have a right to ask anything I want here. But, I didnt ask lawyers anything. NEWSFLASH: a lot of non lawyers know about laws based on life experiencss.

Its your attitude that u are superior and u think u cant talk to anyone without being paid yet others could bec they are not as "special" ...which is wrong. But, u are entitled to believe wat u want. U can tell me im wrong for saying I wont pay for....but again, why is it ur business?? Only bec u are upset if a lawyer gives me advice for free??? And how would I know whos giving me advice here???

Well guess what?? Its non of ur business if I pay or not. Everyone here posts. Again, show me where I wrote that lawyers must help me for free. I didnt!! Im allowed to ask and do wat I want with advice, with my money...so tell me why does it bother u if some anonymous lawyer or nonlawyer here gives me advice??? It seems your thinking that lawuyers are superior is getting in the way of thinking logically.

Maybe wen anyone offers someone a ride home from a wedding, u believe they should charge?? Pls dont tell me its different bec lawyers' licenses are in jeopardy. No, I didnt write in my post one word about lawyers. And contrary to ur belief, a lot of nonlawyers know about laws too.

You said your son won't pay a lawyer. Obviously, you are looking for specific legal advice. No one but a lawyer may give legal advice. There is no way around this being legal advice. If you are asking legal advice from a non-lawyer, you are asking them to do something illegal. Again, no way around that.

Also, you write like and sound petulant like a teenager. I wouldn't be surprised if it was your husband or you who hit the car. Write like an adult when facing adult situations.

If you had been nicer, which you refuse to admit you were not, perhaps a lawyer would have taken pity on you. When you come in swinging, you will get resistance back.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics