Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How long did it take to get home in the snow yesterday?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

wow

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:11 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Bh Lakewood only had rain... But I am not understanding something..

In past years we had blizzards with 3 feet of snow and it wasn't so bad. I once left a chasana in monsey to try and beat the snow, by the time I got to Old Bridge NJ, the snow was over my headlights ,but it still only took 3 hours to get home..

I feel that a lot was due to the fact that the heavy and dangerous part of the snow (slippery sleet) came down in the worst rush hour of the week. Thursday afternoon has traffic as it is. The icy conditions also caused quite a few accidents which blocked many major roads (gwb had a few and caused a complete standstill for a long time).

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:13 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Bh Lakewood only had rain... But I am not understanding something..

In past years we had blizzards with 3 feet of snow and it wasn't so bad. I once left a chasana in monsey to try and beat the snow, by the time I got to Old Bridge NJ, the snow was over my headlights ,but it still only took 3 hours to get home..

And snow , hail.......... In my side of town!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:14 am
They did not salt or clean up at all. That's part of the reason there was such gridlock.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:17 am
Took me about 5 hours to get from KJ to Monsey. With my infant in the car with me. Traffic was at a standstill everywhere with cars skidding/stuck all over.

My sister who lives in NJ was on the road for about 9 hours. The highways were parking lots and some were closed completely. At midnight she finally abandoned her car and walked 1 1/2 hours in the snow to get home.

This experience has really been traumatizing.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:40 am
Dh travelled for a wedding from LA to Lakewood. He stayed over in Manhattan the night before. It took him almost 6 hours from Manhattan to Lakewood. I feel bad that I told him on the phone that he probably lost his way. Dh said that waze is keeping changing the eta. Does it make sense that the one hour trip from Manhattan to Lakewood took him 6 hours????

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
Dh travelled for a wedding from LA to Lakewood. He stayed over in Manhattan the night before. It took him almost 6 hours from Manhattan to Lakewood. I feel bad that I told him on the phone that he probably lost his way. Dh said that waze is keeping changing the eta. Does it make sense that the one hour trip from Manhattan to Lakewood took him 6 hours????

Yes unfortunately it does......DD's friend said her father did not come home from Manhattan last night. It would have taken too long.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
yup. It sure does.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
They did not salt or clean up at all. That's part of the reason there was such gridlock.

This.

In NYC, by time they called in the sanitation workers, there was so much snow, and gridlock, that they had trouble getting in.

They didn't put chains on buses, and sent out the articulated buses after saying they wouldn't. Buses that skidded or jackknifed blocked a lot of traffic.

Major highways were closed because there were so many abandoned vehicles and so much ice.

Our commute takes 35 to 50 minutes, depending on traffic. Last night, it was 5 hours.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:48 am
amother wrote:

It sounds like he made good time.

Waze was pretty worthless. First, it had no clue what streets were too icy to navigate. Before we abandoned it, it tried to send us up a 2-way street that only had one lane, and was icy. We had to back out. Second, things change quickly in bad weather. It wanted us to go one place, but a bus jackknifed and closed that route. Another way, we simply couldn't turn because of traffic. Yet another way we were going to follow, but then there was a major accident, and it had to change the route.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:52 am
We came home from a wedding in montreal yesterday. The last 10 minutes we were caught in the storm. We were trying to go up a road and we saw cards slipping towards us!!!! Dh turned around as fast as he could and we sped off! It took about hour to get to one kid. Should have taken 5 minutes.
Then another 40 to get to another. Also should have take 5 minutes. We went around to avoid any hilly areas and stopped by a shortcut. Dh went on foot to get the to our secind kid.
Then it was 1.5 hours to get home. A 12 minute drive normally.

So we were over 9 hours on the road.....

The skies were lit up with all kinds of flashing lights and my kids were terrified from all the sirens. We bh have a big 4 wheel Suv so we braved it. But it was scary. Busses were stuck, lots of delivery commercial vans (especially grocery vans) were stuck. One lost control and almost ended up in my side.
Most of the time when we were finally moving we went slowwww like 8 mph. No kidding. Dh didn't want to take anymore chances. Being out on the road was taking as many chances as we were willing to take. Lol.

Bh we made it home safely.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
It sounds like he made good time.

Waze was pretty worthless. First, it had no clue what streets were too icy to navigate. Before we abandoned it, it tried to send us up a 2-way street that only had one lane, and was icy. We had to back out. Second, things change quickly in bad weather. It wanted us to go one place, but a bus jackknifed and closed that route. Another way, we simply couldn't turn because of traffic. Yet another way we were going to follow, but then there was a major accident, and it had to change the route.

Absolutely. Waze gave us a detour to cut out a 1.5 minute part on the highway we need to get home. It was delayed by 30 minutes that tiny part. But they gave us an unpaved way that has a ditch on one side and a lake on the other. With no street lights. It wasn't closed off. I kept on saying I hope no one is stupid enough to take that route. Unless u live here you wouldn't know of that road. And it was dark . You couldn't really see it.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:04 am
My normally 40 minute commute took 6 hours. My husband's usually hour long commute took 7 hours. Our sitter stayed over (her 20 minute drive home would likely have taken over 2-3 hours). It was madness, and unacceptable. Snow is not exactly an alien concept in these parts, how the heck did this become so epically disastrous?!

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Our cousin got married in Monsey last night. We were told not to come (from Lakewood). Some cousins tried to get there and ended up turning back.

The Chuppah was at 11 pm. We tried to join in the Simcha from our family chat, with the people on there sending clips and all of us davening for the Chassan and Kallah that they have a long and happy life together, even though we couldn't be there in person.

One aunt and uncle that came from overseas for this wedding, made it there at 1 am, together with an aunt and uncle from Brooklyn.

Mazal Tov! They should build a bayis neeman b'yisrael.

There were a few weddings in Monsey last night. I know that people who were able to went out to dance a bit.
My sister was supposed to probably go to your cousin's wedding. She tried for a few hours and then turned back.(if it was the one in charna)

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

In yesterday's storm. Yes

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:46 am
I had three busses stuck in front of my house. One ended up parking and got a ride home. Other two eventually after close yo four hours made other down my hill.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:47 am
I think that the intensity and amount of snow was unexpected. The city usually does a decent job being prepared and cleaning up. Yesterday was just awful! There wasn't a single plow truck on the street for hours and hours.
You can be sure that with the next snow prediction they'll be prepping like crazy.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:01 pm
South Jersey to Lakewood took me 1.5 hours (normal commute is 37 minutes at that hour). We got heavy snow and got out of school early. Since it only rained in Lakewood, people stared at us when they saw the snow pile on top of my car Very Happy

Another school in West Orange, NJ spent the night at school with their students--a teacher's biggest nightmare! They raided the cafeteria to feed the kids and while some students slept in the auditorium, many of them crashed on tables and benches.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:11 pm
I live on west central and the buses kept on getting stuck there. For the 2 hours I was waiting for my kids bus I saw a plow truck passing by 5 times and not once putting down his shovel too clean the road. And I can't understand why?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
I live on west central and the buses kept on getting stuck there. For the 2 hours I was waiting for my kids bus I saw a plow truck passing by 5 times and not once putting down his shovel too clean the road. And I can't understand why?

Dh said the same thing. He didn't understand why they couldn't put the plow down. Bh my kids made it home (I actually didn't send two of them) but I don't trust busses in the snow and would have picked up my son had he been dismissed later than I thought they should be....

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Dh said the same thing. He didn't understand why they couldn't put the plow down. Bh my kids made it home (I actually didn't send two of them) but I don't trust busses in the snow and would have picked up my son had he been dismissed later than I thought they should be....

I wish I had that opportunity every time it snows. Yesterday a truck slowly slid down an incline right in front of me. I couldn't veer away fast enough. Luckily there were no cars in the opposing lane but what if that had been a school bus? It's really scary.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics