Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are your bedrooms always clean?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:14 am
I aim for a reasonable neatness but I have 3 bedrooms not 5 and my kids are not home all day for the most part. I have no desire to be super rigid on this but when I let myself go to the other end of the spectrum its not great either so I aim for somewhere in the middle.

In terms of bedrooms, I am starting to realize my 8 year old DS needs more direction in terms of keeping his room neat so I want to work with him on this in the next few weeks. I think this is the start of the pre teen years coming omg.

I found also that keeping the toys out of bedrooms makes a huge difference in keeping them tidy.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:14 am
Yes but only because I work hard on it. I don’t have many bedrooms and it can get messy in seconds. I’m forever getting rid of anything that can cause clutter.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
Our bedroom is clean.. we don't make our beds though. It helps that the room is quite small and we have nothing but the bed, 2 nightstands and 2 flowers in the room. No dresser or closet because I'd have tons of clothes lying around then. I find it helpful to have a tidy bedroom because I have insomnia and it used to be even worse when there were tons of things all over the place.

No dresser and no closet? Where do your clothes go?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:43 am
ectomorph wrote:
Yes but.
I only have kids under6 and they're not allowed in their bedrooms during the day since they like to dump the dressers. ..

I fully expect this to change

How do you keep them out of their bedrooms if they want to go in?

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:47 am
I find for my kids under 5 when the toys are not kept in their rooms they have less interest in playing in them. My older kid keeps some special toys in his room and some in the living room with everyone elses stuff.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:57 am
[quote="amother"]How do you keep them out of their bedrooms if they want to go in?[/quote

We have a gate going to upstairs so I just keep it closed. There's no toys so its not so hard.

Also I hate that you are amother. Why can't I know who is asking me a question.

I think yael should ban everyone who posts as amother for no reason.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
Beds made
no clothing on the floor, beds, chairs,,,, dresser clutter free and neat
Closets neat looking
No toys, books, papers and games spread out all over

Because I just can’t do it! 5 bedrooms and they all look pretty bad. Once a week the cleaning lady comes and straightens all the rooms, then it looks nice.... but the rest of the days Can't Believe It

Do you let family members bring friends/guests to bedrooms?

We don't have little ones yet, so for this reason I try to keep the place guest ready. We both work and we have animals so when a big mess happens, like moving or that time we had to have the exterminators over, it can get and stay pretty messy so I try to keep our room an oasis from the mess for peace of mind and for shalom bayis. My dh loves STUFF and isn't used to putting things away, and I'm not naturally neat, but having a clean bedroom for ourselves seems to really improve our relationship no matter how cluttered the rest of the house gets. We'll see how it goes with little ones iyh

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:45 pm
The master bedroom is generally always clean and organized. I rarely make beds though, it's just not a priority in the morning rush.

The kids bedroom is clean but not always organized. We live in a fairly small apartment with three kids sharing a room, and they don't really have enough space for all their "stuff." So there's no dirty laundry lying around, and they don't eat in their room, so no crumbs. But there are often toys lying around or visible on/ under surfaces.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:55 pm
Inkeep them pretty neat. My neat may be your messy though. Two of my kids sleep with their blankies and never undo the quilt so their beds are basically always made. Otherwise there's notuch in there. Always a stack of books in the dresser and closets have some boxes of clothes that need to be either chucked for stored in the basement. Vacuum rougjhly twice a week.

Our room on other hand can get messy! We have no laundry room so the baskets are kept in there and I told on my bed alot. Also my dresser always has some stuff on it. The ironing board, drying rack... We really need a laundry room:( I'd rather it there than anywhere else because then I know no sticky hands got all over the laundry.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:12 pm
CLEAN and NEAT are two very different things!
I have tiny bedrooms and not too much closet space and a ton of clutter!
Even when the cleaning lady washes the floor the surfaces are still messy!

Sammy Girl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:03 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
No.

Not at all embarrassed to post this under my screen name. I work full time, and cleaning the bedrooms constantly is not as important as spending time with my family, sleep, and hobbies. I clean different parts of the bedroom at different times, so sometimes the clutter is on the left, sometimes on the right, etc.

I love you for posting this under your screen name! I do the same but I am often embarrassed to admit it! Everyone in my family is super-clean and I appreciate cleanliness, too, but I appreciate other things more and it shows Wink

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
Op here- I do think like that .. imagining when my kids will be out of the house and I won’t have a mess and clutter... and it’s sad to think about it even though I cannot stay on top of it all. I imagine that my messy playroom will one day be a neat family room with only a few toys for the grandchildren. I never quite imagined the bedrooms always and forever neat... but you have a point. Since I’m not there yet, and the mess bothers me I’m trying to figure out what to do. For example, my bar mitzvah boys shabbos suit is still not hung up,, it’s just spread out over a chair among other things on the chair. His night table is a mountain of clutter that he claims he needs all of.
My girls have waaay too much junk in their room. Forget that they never hang clothing up, have no problem leaving dirty pajamas, underwear, towels on their floor or on top of unmade beds... but they can’t part with things they got from camp or won in school... it’s really just too much.
Of course I will miss having young children at home but I feel like the way I’m living now is just not the right way. I’m not talking about sparkling bathrooms, and freshly scrubbed ovens... I’m talking about just having the rooms somewhat presentable at all times. Is that too much to ask for when they are living at home?

DH thinks like you. DH feels that a messy house is not the way to live. DH puts the time into organizing the house and training the children to live in a clean organized environment. I follow his lead. We both make our beds everyday. The kids are woken up early, so they leave their rooms clean and organized. I don't have to spend my day in a dirty house. Some day their spouses will thank us for this.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:43 pm
I teach my kids from when they're little to put their dirty clothes in the hamper & pack away a you as soon as they're done with it. They dont play much in their rooms though. Beds I make when the kids leave for school.
I never let food in the bedrooms.
If you implement rules for your kids, it's not so hard to maintain a clean neat room.

pause

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
DH thinks like you. DH feels that a messy house is not the way to live. DH puts the time into organizing the house and training the children to live in a clean organized environment. I follow his lead. We both make our beds everyday. The kids are woken up early, so they leave their rooms clean and organized. I don't have to spend my day in a dirty house. Some day their spouses will thank us for this.

Or they will have high expectations of their spouse because of this... No guarantees either way.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:50 pm
My house is currently very clean, all beds made. My cleaning lady left 15 minutes ago! And my 2 year old is sleeping, so she can’t destroy everything.
On a regular day, I try to get my kids to make their beds (it usually doesn’t work) put their clothes in the hamper (sometimes works) and just keep their stuff neat and orderly.... I feel like if there’s any part of parenting I should be paid for, that’s it!!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:55 pm
My bedroom is clean minus made beds (unless the housekeeper comes). I mean, I pull the blankets up over the beds, but no hospital corner or fluffing... nothing that looks like effort went in. The rest is clean though. No wet towels or clothes on the floor, no stacks of junk mail or accumulating coffee cups or anything like that.

Kids rooms are another story. Most days they look like they were ransacked by a burglar.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:07 pm
The only time my whole house is clean and neat all at the same time is basically for Shabbos. The rest of the week I let my bedroom go because I need somewhere to dump stuff and we have a small apartment. But my messy is probably your neat.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:16 pm
Theoretically, since no one is home all day, they should be. But in reality...lol. Theyre not disgusting, but definitely not tidy. And I can admit, sometimes I make a mess in my room looking for clothes or something, and I just look at the pile of clothes and say eff that I’m too tired to put them away now. The only spotless room is the guest room lol.

mum22

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:35 pm
Mess, dirt and clutter make me anxious.
I work most of the day and like to know my house is clean and neat.
So as I get up I make Our beds. If it’s tuesday morn I get up and strip the beds. I use a baby wipes (in bedside table) to wipe down windowsill and bedside tables. I haven’t left the room yet, it’s 3 mins since I woke, the room is clean and tidy.
Onto kids room. Pjs in hamper, beds, wipe surfaces...
My kids are young and are learning to put their clothes in the hamper. Shoes in their place...
the systems keep me sane.
The tired cranky days are challenging, but the investment is worth the peace of mind.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:43 pm
I'm surprised to see how many of you don't make the beds every day. It takes less than a minute & it feels better to go to sleep in a made up bed. In camp we would get punished for this.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry