Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hotel with toddlers
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:10 pm
I know people who rent condos in warm places that are cleaned already and cater all the food so all you have to do is kasher. Then you get the vacation aspect without the annoying parts.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I know people who rent condos in warm places that are cleaned already and cater all the food so all you have to do is kasher. Then you get the vacation aspect without the annoying parts.

That sounds good except it would be even better if it came kashered! 🤣

How do they cater all the food if somewhere not so Jewish?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:59 pm
pesek zman wrote:
To me, that’s double work. My parents did that once with us when we were kids and swore never again: having to clean/cook AND pack?! But everyone’s needs and preference are different

It was packing for a short while - just second days Yom Tov so not so hard.

For me everything is easier and nicer than communal sederim with a cranky toddler. The so-called “private” sederim at hotels are also difficult and impersonal IMHO.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
It was packing for a short while - just second days Yom Tov so not so hard.

For me everything is easier and nicer than communal sederim with a cranky toddler. The so-called “private” sederim at hotels are also difficult and impersonal IMHO.

Packing for even a weekend is crazy to me when there are little kids, and the back end of chag is so hard to pack for without doing laundry (which is difficult to negotiate in a hotel even if you are just washing essentials for the kids.) We also either clean or pack.

We were happy with our private sedarim. We brought down pillows and blankets and made sleeping wells against the walls and in the corners. We brought toys and blocks and books, and the kids wandered around and used them. We brought all the hagados and sefarim and projects in a roller bag that we used both nights. The biggest issue we had was feeding the kids when they were hungry. We tried to ask the waiters for snacks and some food in advance to plan. And then yes, we had to get the kids back upstairs at the end, which was a pain.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:16 pm
I had my 4 year old at the seder at the hotel. pretty sure she fell asleep in her carriage. It was over 4 years ago. I think pesach hotels are hard with kids...

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:19 pm
perhaps -- but sometimes not as challenging as staying home -- sometimes easier though different advantages and disadvantages
helps to have realistic expectations

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
perhaps -- but sometimes not as challenging as staying home -- sometimes easier though different advantages and disadvantages
helps to have realistic expectations

This. It also depends on whether there will be any other relatives or friends coming along.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:15 pm
Pesach hotel is hard with kids but I can’t imagine staying home. My kid goes to day camp everyday. And my toddler runs around on hotel grounds. The hotel we go to is in a warm climate. If I would stay home I would feel cooped up inside the whole Yom Tov because it’s too cold to play outside. At the hotel my only concern is watching my children. When I am home I have to cook, clean, shop, and watch the kids. Pesach is a really hard Yom Tov to make and I really enjoy it at a hotel. I bring some toys and hire a babysitter.

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:41 pm
I've done both. Pesach at home is difficult before the y't , but once you get there is really nice. Pesach at hotel is relaxing before y't , but found it stressful with babies. No I didn't have a babysitter. Do what is best for you!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:30 pm
OP here. Thank you all for so much food for thought! We don’t have family to go to and I had a full on meltdown last year. I made my husband promise me we won’t have the stress of pesach cleaning with little kids again for the foreseeable future

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:57 pm
OP, if you are looking for a stress free Yom tov, honestly going to a hotel with toddlers is not the answer. It's very stressful and exhausting. The kids are off schedule and cranky. Especially of you'll be going alone without company. If you're willing to spend the money for a hotel, maybe hire lots of cleaning help and cater the entire yom tov.
Also, dont be so hard on yourself with the cleaning. Do only what's a must l'halacha, not extras. When we went to a hotel with 2 toddlers I said never again, I was in tears.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
OP, if you are looking for a stress free Yom tov, honestly going to a hotel with toddlers is not the answer. It's very stressful and exhausting. The kids are off schedule and cranky. Especially of you'll be going alone without company. If you're willing to spend the money for a hotel, maybe hire lots of cleaning help and cater the entire yom tov.
Also, dont be so hard on yourself with the cleaning. Do only what's a must l'halacha, not extras. When we went to a hotel with 2 toddlers I said never again, I was in tears.

This.
Even before I had kids I said that I would rather spend the money to have more cleaning help (even night of the Seder) and cater the food and stay home.
I can see the fun of a pesach hotel and maybe someday I would go, but definitely not until my kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
That sounds good except it would be even better if it came kashered! 🤣

How do they cater all the food if somewhere not so Jewish?

The food is shipped frozen with directions on reheating each meal. There a few personal chefs and catering services that provide this device.

There is a program in Florida where they kasher the condo for you and you eat catered meals in condo or pick up food in a common area. To me that sound like the best option with little kid.
https://www.adifferentpesachprogram.com/#

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 6:04 am
Why can't the sitter reach you? She can go down for 2 secs to let you know.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:21 am
Ruchel, it takes no 2 seconds for a sitter to go down to reach a parent at a hotel. I've been to hotels where it takes a good 10 or more minutes to walk from the rooms to the dining room.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
I had my 4 year old at the seder at the hotel. pretty sure she fell asleep in her carriage. It was over 4 years ago. I think pesach hotels are hard with kids...

Off topic but I am baffled that people have strollers/carriages etc for four and five year olds. I make little kids with short legs and even they are happy to walk or scoot and not want a stroller past around 2 1/2-2 3/4. 🤔

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:56 am
sky wrote:
The food is shipped frozen with directions on reheating each meal. There a few personal chefs and catering services that provide this device.

There is a program in Florida where they kasher the condo for you and you eat catered meals in condo or pick up food in a common area. To me that sound like the best option with little kid.
https://www.adifferentpesachprogram.com/#

Ah yes thank you. This link was posted last year and I thought it looked good then. Still looking good this year! The problem with Fl is Teens and Tweens will want Disney. I am sure Disney with a toddler is no picnic either! Might brave it this year....

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Off topic but I am baffled that people have strollers/carriages etc for four and five year olds. I make little kids with short legs and even they are happy to walk or scoot and not want a stroller past around 2 1/2-2 3/4. 🤔

Do you walk a lot or drive mostly? I walk a LOT with my toddlers (like a few miles) and they are just not able to walk that much.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:01 am
amother wrote:

I’m guessing you live in a city where you drive predominantly. Living in Manhattan my 3 year old walks most places but sometimes we have to walk further than her legs can take her at a pace that works for me. Shul is often 15 blocks away, for example. Plus, a stroller has awesome storage so easier to grocery shop (rather than trying to hold the bags and the toddlers hand)

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:02 am
Amother blue, do you walk alot?? My in laws live very far from us and when we walk shabbos or yom tov my 5 year old is in a stroller and my 7 year old on a buggy board. Nothing wrong with that.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics