Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Must haves - Design of House
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 6:42 pm
I would vinyl tile/plank flooring throughout the entire house. I put it in my kitchen and absolutely love it! I don't like the pressure that parquet is to keep clean/not drip. I hate ceramic tiles.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 6:46 pm
I would want a dumbwaiter
a garbage disposal with automatic cans that roll out to the front on their own
Outlets high up where little kids cant reach
Screened in porch
Central air w humidifier

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:00 pm
Deleted

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:01 pm
Basement playroom for bigger kids. Keeps the noise and the mess (little Lego... Out of my face...)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Basement playroom for bigger kids. Keeps the noise and the mess (little Lego... Out of my face...)

My kids don’t go down to play

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:06 pm
Mudroom
Pesach closet near kitchen
Under cabinet lighting
Pull out drawers for pots
Laundry room on bedroom floor with sink, room for hanging and lots of closet space with built in drawers and hampers too
Playroom on main floor with closets
Pantry storage room with sections for tools, crafts, bulbs, batteries and all other items
Bedroom closets with built in drawers
Back outdoor water line for hose/kiddie pool (front as well if necessary for cleaning or gardening)
Heated sidewalks/driveway/stairs (for snow) if you're redoing any concrete it doesn't add much cost to the project (the concrete is what costs)
Storage room with built in shelving in basement
Lighting in bedroom closets for shabbos use
Timers on lighting
Good quality semi gloss paint in high traffic areas for easy cleanup
No carpeting
Built in sukkah or built in outdoor weatherproof storage for sukkah and easy access

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:39 pm
Space in the kitchen for a couch.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
Space in the kitchen for a couch.

Interesting! I've never even seen that in magazines with huge, expensive kitchens...
To each their own! I'd find it hard to eat or drink while leaning back on a couch, and I'd imagine the couch would get dirty, being in the kitchen.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 9:11 pm
I once visited a home and saw an amazing feature that I've never seen again.

She called it a toe duct.

Every 6-8 feet, along the kitchen wall, under the cabinets, was a duct that can activate by pressing a tiny pedal with your toe.

It creates a strong suction. Then you sweep the floor in that general direction, and all your crumbs and garbage get sucked into the sewer system!!!!

mommyla

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 9:25 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I once visited a home and saw an amazing feature that I've never seen again.

She called it a toe duct.

Every 6-8 feet, along the kitchen wall, under the cabinets, was a duct that can activate by pressing a tiny pedal with your toe.

It creates a strong suction. Then you sweep the floor in that general direction, and all your crumbs and garbage get sucked into the sewer system!!!!

It’s called a VacPan and it connects to the central vacuum. Very cool!

ETA: OP, I’d leave space (attic or basement) that can eventually be finished when your kids are married and you need more space.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 9:46 pm
Fireplace.

Jacuzzi.

Separate his and hers bathrooms and/or showers in the master bedroom plus separate bathroom for each bedroom and downstairs guest room with its own bathroom as well.

Pesach kitchen in a separate dining room complete with oven, fridge/freezer, sink, cabinets and table and chairs that you use only for Pesach and store all Pesach things in there. My father has this setup and it is awesome. I would also add a couch and bathroom to this area as well so its a complete separate area just for Pesach.

A gym in basement with equipment that you like to work out with or a yoga/zumba studio.

A home office that could be used as a guestroom as needed.

A huge laundry room with separate space for each person to keep their laundry in.

Garbage disposal for sink.

Bidet in bathroom.

Treehouse for kids (and adults) can be used as a Sukkah as well.

Bay Window and lots of big windows to allow room for light to come in.

Skylights

sky

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 10:14 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Wow! A custom built house sounds like a dream come true.

I’d want:

An eat in kitchen
Outdoor space accessible from kitchen (both for bbqs and of course sukkos)
Pantry in kitchen
Washing station near dining room, ideally within a ‘butlers pantry’

An office
En suite master bath
Separate living room and den (for more casual use)

Large entryway with large coat closets and even cubbies

My husband dreams of a window in a bathroom. Also radiant floors and towel racks but I’m not into any

Enjoy!

Wow you got the major items on my list.

Plus lots of pesach storage in the kitchen
Lots of pantry space (personally I want tons of storage and not so much counter space because of clutter and cleaning)
Large mudroom.

ila

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 10:27 pm
Pesach kitchen! At least a stove with oven and cabinets to dishes with easy acess

erm

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 10:43 pm
how big is the house you plan to build? I don't know where you are from but a lot of the ideas sound great but won't be practical if you are limited to Brooklyn (where I am from) size houses. I built a house too, but there is a give and take when limited for space. For example, I gave up an extra bathroom on the bedroom floor (still have 3 1/2) for a laundry room on that floor. I made a dining room and living room in one big room so that when I have a large get together, there is enough space for extra tables. Obviously I would have liked two large separate rooms... You have to decide what works for you.

Bsimcha

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 11:11 pm
Hire a good space planner!
There are people that know how to do this very well and it'll make a huge difference to have professional help.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:02 am
Side entrance with mudroom that has individual cubbies and extra Costco storage and tools and umbrellas and briefcases with a bench to pull off boots

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:14 am
I would want an open floor with playroom off the kitchen not in the basement

Very large closet or space in master bedroom to serve as a mini nursery for newborn.

Patio built with sukkah in mind

isrmss91

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:32 am
Don't know if you have elderly parents or relatives, but a guest bedroom and bathroom on main floor, so they don't have to go upstairs or downstairs. Of course if space permits. Wish I could do that, if I ever am able to have a custom built home.

mfb

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 1:16 am
isrmss91 wrote:
Don't know if you have elderly parents or relatives, but a guest bedroom and bathroom on main floor, so they don't have to go upstairs or downstairs. Of course if space permits. Wish I could do that, if I ever am able to have a custom built home.

As someone mentioned earlier this is good to prepare for yourself for the future

Shuly

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:44 am
A gas line on the porch/deck for a BBQ grill.
Bathtub in the master bathroom
Sinks on separate sides of the kitchen
Vegetable storage drawers in the pantry
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics