Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Must haves - Design of House
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:06 am
I would also go for more smaller bedrooms over less. Make sure each room can take two twin beds at some point (for married couples in the future) but for now one bed, wardrobe/drawers and a desk is enough. I have 2 tiny bedrooms that can only fit one bed in each and it is very frustrating.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:45 am
How long should an ideal frum family's dining room be?

Bsimcha

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
How long should an ideal frum family's dining room be?

I would love a 8 foot table with a few extensions, the room would either have to be big enough for that or an easy extension into living room or whatever the adjoining room is.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:02 am
So about 12 feet long ? or longer

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:17 am
Raisin wrote:
I would also go for more smaller bedrooms over less. Make sure each room can take two twin beds at some point (for married couples in the future) but for now one bed, wardrobe/drawers and a desk is enough. I have 2 tiny bedrooms that can only fit one bed in each and it is very frustrating.

That's where the false wall comes in. The room can be made larger later on.

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:42 am
Orchid wrote:
I say no to the pot filler too because you should let your water run for 30 seconds before using it if it has not been used for over 6 hours unless you know every single component of your pipe and city pipe contain no trace of lead. See CDC recommendation on water flushing: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/water.htm

Did we read the same thing? I went to the link posted and it said to check whether the pipe leading to your house has lead which your provider is supposed to tell you about. If you're building a new house you know you don't have lead pipes and if you know that the pipe connecting directly to your house is not lead as well, flushing would do absolutely nothing to decrease amount of lead found in the water.

All flushing does is get the water in your pipes to be switched for water further out. If your pot filler is connected to a non lead pipe it is not a problem in the least. Note that the CDC recommends using the shower or bathtub to flush the supply leading to your house and only then do a quick run of water.

Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 12:50 pm
gamanit wrote:
Did we read the same thing? I went to the link posted and it said to check whether the pipe leading to your house has lead which your provider is supposed to tell you about. If you're building a new house you know you don't have lead pipes and if you know that the pipe connecting directly to your house is not lead as well, flushing would do absolutely nothing to decrease amount of lead found in the water.

All flushing does is get the water in your pipes to be switched for water further out. If your pot filler is connected to a non lead pipe it is not a problem in the least. Note that the CDC recommends using the shower or bathtub to flush the supply leading to your house and only then do a quick run of water.

All I said was if you cannot confirm that no component contains lead, you should flush your water according to the CDC. You are saying that if you know it's not lead, you don't have to flush. True.

The Balabusta

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 10:32 am
Thedripdry.com has a design for kitchen cabinets. It’s a Must-Have!!! If you are washing fruits and vegetables, you can prop them on the rack to dry.
This hides the clutter of a dish rack, while keeping your counter top clean

Joy of Motherhood

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 3:07 pm
The drop dry rack brings back old memories. My grandmother a"h used to have it in her kitchen in Israel. I think its quite popular in Israeli kitchens. Its interesting to see how old ideas make a comeback.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 4:14 pm
Joy of Motherhood wrote:
The drop dry rack brings back old memories. My grandmother a"h used to have it in her kitchen in Israel. I think its quite popular in Israeli kitchens. Its interesting to see how old ideas make a comeback.

Way less popular than it used to be. At one time it was in literally every kitchen.
Nowadays, with dishwashers so common you don't find them as much.
Also the style now is to install fewer upper cabinets and even then sometimes they are the sleek lift up door type that can't accomodate the drop dry rack.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 5:57 pm
The Balabusta wrote:
Thedripdry.com has a design for kitchen cabinets. It’s a Must-Have!!! If you are washing fruits and vegetables, you can prop them on the rack to dry.
This hides the clutter of a dish rack, while keeping your counter top clean

DH said these cause a moisture problem and destroy the cabinets.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:24 pm
That's true, the moisture isn't good for the inside of a cabinet. In my house, we rigged up a stainless drying rack between cabinets. This one: https://www.richelieu.com/us/e.....70170

The Balabusta

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:39 pm

The sleek design is a door that goes up. The racks like in Israel, that also I saw in Israel many years ago, the doors went up. Somehow things do have a way of coming back.

What was once very convenient - is still very convenient. It’s not about popularity of designs but about common sense and where that went down the drain. Who knows why. But it’s back and it is a must-have. Of course it needs to be installed precisely so that the cabinet doesn’t get wet. It also has a drip tray to lead the water drops into the sink.

In Eretz Israel, my family always used this for not only dishes but also to prop up the fruits and vegetables, before cutting into a salad. Then the cutting board was hung on the inside interior. Also there’s a receptacle inside the sink that’s a must-have for scraps. It has holes for drainage too. This makes the clean-up easier.

I find myself with a dish washer, I still use the dish rack all the time. I don’t think the dishes can get clean enough from the dishwasher so I’m washing the dishes in the morning and at night either way, before loading into the machine. There’s always over flow or just 1-2 things or a pot or pan that is best to dry quickly, above the sink, behind the cabinet.

But there’s no question that this is a time-saver because if the dishes dry there, they stay put away and disappear. My counter I need to use for so many other things.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:43 pm
The Balabusta wrote:

The sleek design is a door that goes up. The racks like in Israel, that also I saw in Israel many years ago, the doors went up. Somehow things do have a way of coming back.

What was once very convenient - is still very convenient. It’s not about popularity of designs but about common sense and where that went down the drain. Who knows why. But it’s back and it is a must-have. Of course it needs to be installed precisely so that the cabinet doesn’t get wet. It also has a drip tray to lead the water drops into the sink.

In Eretz Israel, my family always used this for not only dishes but also to prop up the fruits and vegetables, before cutting into a salad. Then the cutting board was hung on the inside interior. Also there’s a receptacle inside the sink that’s a must-have for scraps. It has holes for drainage too. This makes the clean-up easier.

I find myself with a dish washer, I still use the dish rack all the time. I don’t think the dishes can get clean enough from the dishwasher so I’m washing the dishes in the morning and at night either way, before loading into the machine. There’s always over flow or just 1-2 things or a pot or pan that is best to dry quickly, above the sink, behind the cabinet.

But there’s no question that this is a time-saver because if the dishes dry there, they stay put away and disappear. My counter I need to use for so many other things.

If you stick moist things in a cabinet to dry eventually the cabinet will warp. Moisture is the enemy.

The Balabusta

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:48 pm
True If it’s installed sloppy the cabinet will not last. But if it’s installed the way it’s meant to be, there’s nothing that makes more sense. Honestly I’d rather have the dish rack any place besides on my counter or taking up space in the sink. Even without a cabinet, it is gravity smart.

The Balabusta

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:50 pm
I also think the universal-vacuum idea is a Must-Have, mentioned by another. If you can afford to install that luxury in your home, it has to be the best idea you’ll be grateful you did!! I would love to have that.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 6:53 pm
I haven't had time to read this thread closely yet — and designing homes and kitchens is my profession — but I don't think anyone has mentioned a BACKUP GENERATOR.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:13 pm
The Balabusta wrote:
True If it’s installed sloppy the cabinet will not last. But if it’s installed the way it’s meant to be, there’s nothing that makes more sense. Honestly I’d rather have the dish rack any place besides on my counter or taking up space in the sink. Even without a cabinet, it is gravity smart.

Perhaps because it destroys cabinets, they stopped using it even when when installed properly. DH is an engineer and an experienced builder. He says this is a bad move. I showed him the website. It isn't often he is wrong in his field.

Perhaps one of those clever counter extensions might be a better solution.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 7:15 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I haven't had time to read this thread closely yet — and designing homes and kitchens is my profession — but I don't think anyone has mentioned a BACKUP GENERATOR.

Along with that, OP should have an energy consultant and a lighting designer. We have bills that are a quarter of what other houses our size have.

The Balabusta

Post Mon, Dec 24 2018, 8:22 pm
It’s ingenious, and where there’s a will, there’s a way. As with anything, something comes out better (not burnt, for example) when the cook is patient and makes plans and cares to make their creation come out good. Attention to details is a value.
If the cabinet is modified precisely to accept the installation, so that the bottom of the cabinet is open, then water doesn’t touch the cabinet itself. But if someone doesn’t have passion to do something well, or if they don’t have experience installing it, or experience using it, they don’t have personal knowledge.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics