Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If you cook on Wed for Shabbos, do you freeze it?
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 7:45 am
I can’t imagine the amount of food that must get thrown out by people on this site.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:02 am
I cook my soup, fish and kugel on Wednesday. Everything tastes delicious on shabbos. (Never freeze things made at the end of the week for shabbos- that might kill the fresh taste.) I’ve gotten compliments on my food many times over. You really can’t tell any difference if the food was made on Wednesday or Friday.
The only time some people can tell that something wasn’t made that week is if you are heating things from the freezer.
Not saying I don’t do that but food cooked on Wednesday should not go in the freezer!

Harried mama

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:37 am
I think there are some things that you can tell with. Chicken definitely tastes better if it was made on Friday. Schnitzel too. Most other things are totally fine to make on Wednesday. Vinegar-based salads actually taste better if they're made earlier in the week and have time to marinate.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:53 am
Jeanette wrote:
I don't call 3-day old food "fresh."

I think she means that hasn't been in a freezer in between preparing and serving.

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:54 am
The freezer is my friend. I cook everything in advance besides for chicken, veggies and salads.
For apple kugel I sometimes make it and freeze raw and bake fresh on friday.
My food comes out delicious and you can not know the difference.

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:37 am
Think of it this way: if you make kugel the night before yomtov and use it the second night, that's the same thing as making it Wednesday for Friday night.

LuckyMum

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:51 am
I cook everything friday morning. Can't compare the taste of food sitting around for 3 days to food straight out of the oven/stove....

etky

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:56 am
LuckyMum wrote:
I cook everything friday morning. Can't compare the taste of food sitting around for 3 days to food straight out of the oven/stove....

Well, in most cases - yes, food is best straight out of the oven, or at least the day it is made. But cooking everything Friday morning is not an option for many, many people (and not just those who work on Friday). This discussion is really about what is best in terms of make-ahead options.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:08 am
LuckyMum wrote:

It’s not sitting around for 3 days it’s 2 days

Wed. - Thursday = 1 day
Thursday- Friday = 2 days

Most of us who start preparing for shabbos on Wednesday don’t cook our chicken or meat at that time. Potato kugel is perfect if it was made 2 days ago. That’s what op wanted to know about .

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:14 am
andrea levy wrote:
I can’t imagine the amount of food that must get thrown out by people on this site.

I guess you're not part on the Facebook group I don't cook but I give out recipes....
Chicken soup outside more then 3 hours? Toss
Raw chicken left outside too long? Toss
Every time I see people answer tops I literally cringe mamash chaval on the food waste Can't Believe It

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
I guess you're not part on the Facebook group I don't cook but I give out recipes....
Chicken soup outside more then 3 hours? Toss
Raw chicken left outside too long? Toss
Every time I see people answer toss I literally cringe, mamash chaval on the food waste Can't Believe It
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note