Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
So where was the party?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:29 am
amother wrote:
Right. I had hoped that like they claimed, it was just going to be an innocent party that would have made sense to perform for whom it was marketed to (regular boro park and flatbush crowd). Not quite how it turned out in the end.

I don't even necessarily have a problem with how it turned out in the end. Im sure there is a target audience for people who are looking for this type of entertainment and humor. Just don't try to pretend that it was supposed to be for regular boro park people.

How did it turn out in the end to be not 'innocent' - that Leah sang?

It was supposed to be for people who follow Leah and Flatbush girl on social media. It wasn't marketed otherwise.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
How did it turn out in the end to be not 'innocent' - that Leah sang?

It was supposed to be for people who follow Leah and Flatbush girl on social media. It wasn't marketed otherwise.

Fg has 45 k followers on Instagram. There were like 80 people there what a success

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:28 am
amother wrote:
So the party wasn’t your speed. Isn’t lashon hara also a sin?

Indeed. I have noticed that on IMA, LH seems to get a free pass. It saddens and disgusts me.

The concept of loving your fellow Jew includes loving your fellow Jew with tattoos, and loving your fellow Jew who makes jokes about themselves and their family.

This whole thread is just a “big excuse for LH” thread. It baffles me how the mods just let it go.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
Looks like it didn't go well.
Comedian in pants, short sleeve, tattoo....
What has the frum world come to???

Blatant Lashon Hora on a frum site for women. What has the frum world come to???

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:00 am
I am curious about how this works. The same people who keep insisting that there was nothing wrong with anything that was done or said, also insist that its lashon hora to talk about what was done and said.

How does that work?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:05 am
Also wondering if things that were done and said proudly and are blasted on social media by the people who did them can really be considered gossip.

Just wondering......

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:17 am
I had never heard of any of these women and their social media presence until Imamother.

Aren't y'all proud of yourselves, giving them so much free publicity? Not to mention starting LH and even encouraging others to join in.

This whole subject has been a real low point for Imamother.

I'd rather talk about Trump or vaccines rather than this.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
I am curious about how this works. The same people who keep insisting that there was nothing wrong with anything that was done or said, also insist that its lashon hora to talk about what was done and said.

How does that work?

Sooo true. If they arent doing anything wrong, then talking about them wouldnt be a question of lashon hara....ergo..

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
I don't follow her on Instagram but checked her page to see where the party was held and honestly she has an anti halacha attitude. She made fun of the need for a mechitza, made fun of covering your knees etc. It's sad that once people decide they want to be memorable and different, they feel the need to tear down halacha in the process.

Her Instagram page is private. How can you view it without following her?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:41 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Her Instagram page is private. How can you view it without following her?

It's not private. The thing you can't view (which is the main thing) without following is the instastories.

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
Fg has 45 k followers on Instagram. There were like 80 people there what a success

Yes, because 45k is going to fit into a tiny restaurant. They sold out all their tickets.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:10 am
I'm not so sure LH applies here in this case where they are causing spiritual harm to a community and making a chillul Hashem. But I haven't asked a shaila. If someone was simply OTD and minding their own business, I agree, keep your mouth shut and no LH.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
I think I'm a "they" here.

What was proven wrong?

1. Leah singing
2. FG making fun of rabbis, mechitzas, etc.
3. Leah or the other girl making fun of chassidishe people (something they are not now) by dressing like one and having a skit

It most definitely was NOT a party they claimed it'll be.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
1. Leah singing
2. FG making fun of rabbis, mechitzas, etc.
3. Leah or the other girl making fun of chassidishe people (something they are not now) by dressing like one and having a skit

It most definitely was NOT a party they claimed it'll be.

Exactly. They presented it as a party where all they wanted to do was provide regular mainstream boro park people with a good time.

Even if just to prove that everyone was crazy and throwing a fit about nothing, I thought they'd be smart enough to keep to that script.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:39 am
It's perfectly understandable to me that there are people here who find nothing wrong with how the party turned out. Im not even saying that there was something wrong with it. My point is that they know very well what boro park people are ok with, so why pretend that this was going to be according to their standards? Just be upfront about it.

At this point the only conclusion I can reach is that they used the controversy as a marketing ploy. Clever perhaps, but just admit that that's what it was.

There is something about the feigned innocence of "we are just looking to have a good time and make people laugh" that is very off putting.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:41 am
fmt4 wrote:
Yes, because 45k is going to fit into a tiny restaurant. They sold out all their tickets.

Sold out lol. It’s a huge deal to sell out of an event that size.

When I saw the pic of the people attending, I actually laughed out loud. So much publicity and foot stamping for a hand full of people.

If they would have to move their event to another venue because of the demand, than ok. But there was no demand. Boo hoo

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:53 am
Shame on every frum man that attended the event, what low lifes.
Leah Forster was singing wearing a shpitzel and black zuken bashing chassidim and frumkeit, horrible!
They can all be ashamed of themselves for stooping so low.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:09 am
I follow both on IG and was really hoping it would be just an evening of comedy and fun, perhaps a "moshav letzim" like someone upthread said, but nothing horrible.

It bothered me deeply that a person who became well known for her comedy through the frum world would try to make a comeback in that world wearing tight pants, a tee shirt, and showing tattoos (Maybe they were fake but certainly still inappropriate.), and then singing in public, an act that she knows the audience members consider a sin.

My main question is why? There are so many MO communities that would appreciate her act. The same people who bring comedians like Modi (not frum I dont think, but knowledgeable and pokes fun without putting religious observance down). And she does get booked at these places. This very event could have been held elsewhere with barely a ripple...why the need to bring it to the heart of boro park?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:18 am
Amother seafoam, I think the MO crowd would much rather hire a non Jewish comedian than listen to her shtissem. Even I'd rather listen to a non Jewish comedian, they at least keep it neutral.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
Indeed. I have noticed that on IMA, LH seems to get a free pass. It saddens and disgusts me.

The concept of loving your fellow Jew includes loving your fellow Jew with tattoos, and loving your fellow Jew who makes jokes about themselves and their family.

This whole thread is just a “big excuse for LH” thread. It baffles me how the mods just let it go.

Just quoting my previous post again:

Quote:

"Any person who flagrantly abrogates a mitzvah of the Torah must be publicly disgraced, in which case the laws of lashon harah do not apply."

So it's not considered loshon horah.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics