Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Entrepreneur Getting Certified Kosher
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Would you buy homemade food from social media account based on word of mouth without asking if/who gives hechsher?
Yes  
 14%  [ 28 ]
No  
 85%  [ 159 ]
Total Votes : 187

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:59 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
There are so many chassidish people on social media. And I'm not sure how being chassidish makes you more trustworthy.

They have the same kashrus standard as me. Are there really chassidish ladies on Instagram that have public accounts?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:59 pm
I’ve seen on Facebook where some people who aren’t certified will give the name and number of their rabbi so he can vouch for their kashrut.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:01 pm
Redbird wrote:
This is interesting! I eat food cooked in other peoples houses, so yes! Do all the people voting no do an investigation into peoples kashrus standards before eating someones house?

If you had a whole operation, such as a restaurant, thats different.

Halachically there’s a different standard as far as trusting the kashrut of someone’s home, and less so for a public establishment....

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
They have the same kashrus standard as me. Are there really chassidish ladies on Instagram that have public accounts?

Yes, I've seen plenty of public accounts of women who look chassidish with chassidish looking kids.

I wouldn't trust anyone's kashrus unless if I know them or they have a hechsher. Even if they supposedly have the same kashrush standards as me, how would I know if it's true?I

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve seen on Facebook where some people who aren’t certified will give the name and number of their rabbi so he can vouch for their kashrut.

That’s useless. He can’t know what exactly is going on in the kitchen without having been there and seen the operation and keeping an eye on things as a mashgiach would.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:40 am
amother wrote:

Yes

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:42 am
Cheiny wrote:
That’s useless. He can’t know what exactly is going on in the kitchen without having been there and seen the operation and keeping an eye on things as a mashgiach would.

Just FYI, most dairy restaurants with shomer Torah owners do not have constant supervision. It’s yotzei/nichnas.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:10 am
Notsobusy wrote:
Yes, I've seen plenty of public accounts of women who look chassidish with chassidish looking kids.

I wouldn't trust anyone's kashrus unless if I know them or they have a hechsher. Even if they supposedly have the same kashrush standards as me, how would I know if it's true?I

It's v easy enough to find out if they are chassidish.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:54 am
In my neighborhood in Israel there are some people selling homebaked goods on Thursdays and Fridays. We occasionally have had some of their things, like challot, laffa, pitot, cakes or kugel. But always either dh or I know the people involved and we therefore trust them. I think I wouldn't buy from some total stranger on social media.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:03 am
I'm chassidish and I honestly don't know where chassidish comes into this at all. If you're a yorei shomayim and keep cholov yisroel I would eat it, if I know them personally, chassidish or not.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:05 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I'm chassidish and I honestly don't know where chassidish comes into this at all. If you're a yorei shomayim and keep cholov yisroel I would eat it, if I know them personally, chassidish or not.
I agree. How does being Chassidish make one more reliable?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:09 am
Iymnok wrote:
I agree. How does being Chassidish make one more reliable?

It's supposed to make you more reliable. However, being the world as it is, things are not the way they are supposed to be.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
In my neighborhood in Israel there are some people selling homebaked goods on Thursdays and Fridays. We occasionally have had some of their things, like challot, laffa, pitot, cakes or kugel. But always either dh or I know the people involved and we therefore trust them. I think I wouldn't buy from some total stranger on social media.

I wouldn't buy from anyone who features themselves on social media except if the account is private. I don't mind a business being promoted.

There are quite a few chassidim who sell home prepared stuff. I am ok when I know someone from their family if I don't know them personally. I am ok if the food is coming out of Monroe or New Square. If they would go on social media, I wouldn't want their food for free.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't buy from anyone who features themselves on social media except if the account is private. I don't mind a business being promoted.

There are quite a few chassidim who sell home prepared stuff. I am ok when I know someone from their family if I don't know them personally. I am ok if the food is coming out of Monroe or New Square. If they would go on social media, I wouldn't want their food for free.
exactly

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:50 am
amother wrote:

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:53 am
amother wrote:

Out of curiosity ... why?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:51 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Just FYI, most dairy restaurants with shomer Torah owners do not have constant supervision. It’s yotzei/nichnas.

If they have a reliable and known hashgacha, that’s a far cry from someone referring you to ask their rabbi if they’re reliable.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:00 pm
Cheiny wrote:
If they have a reliable and known hashgacha, that’s a far cry from someone referring you to ask their rabbi if they’re reliable.

Agreed. But most people don’t realize this so I thought I’d mention it.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Out of curiosity ... why?

If they don't follow strict halacha, how can I trust their kitchens?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
If they don't follow strict halacha, how can I trust their kitchens?

Strict halacha says that social media is okay, however, only for private accounts?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics