Home

S/o Another thought
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

DrMom

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 4:02 am
marina wrote:
that is in fact what plenty of schools do. But some schools also want racial diversity in their classes, and that’s not a bad thing. I might legitimately want a larger sample of native american physicians in my medical school if I specifically want my graduates to serve native american populations and so I might specifically court those applicants and offer them scholarships. I genuinely fail to see what’s wrong with that.

Okay, so if I "feel" like a Native American disabled woman, even though I am, say, a white 100% able-bodied man, can I get preferential treatment in admissions?

If I "feel" like an 80-year-old, can I get a senior citizen discount when I ride the bus?

If I "feel" like I am 5 years old, can I get a half-price ticket to the movie theater?

If I am a 200-lb male weightlifter, can I "feel" like a woman and enter the woman's weightlifting tournament?

amother

Babyblue

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 7:08 am
DrMom wrote:
Okay, so if I "feel" like a Native American disabled woman, even though I am, say, a white 100% able-bodied man, can I get preferential treatment in admissions?

If I "feel" like an 80-year-old, can I get a senior citizen discount when I ride the bus?

If I "feel" like I am 5 years old, can I get a half-price ticket to the movie theater?

If I am a 200-lb male weightlifter, can I "feel" like a woman and enter the woman's weightlifting tournament?

Do you really think that people who claim a different gender than their external biology indicates are doing so to take advantage of something culturally?

I don't.

itsmeima

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:02 am
I find it ironic this was posted on MLK day.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

allthingsblue

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:11 am
itsmeima wrote:
I find it ironic this was posted on MLK day.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Thanks for the compliment Wink
I am genuinely trying to understand.
I'm young, but the world has changed drastically in just a few years. There are some things I cannot understand. And I still cannot understand- haven't seen any good answers to my question.

ectomorph

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:12 am
I have pity on people with mental illnesses. That doesn't make a male female.

amother

Mint

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:39 am
ectomorph wrote:
I have pity on people with mental illnesses. That doesn't make a male female.

Seems like the Supreme Court agrees-- https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22.....index.html

PinkFridge

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:14 am
marina wrote:
that is in fact what plenty of schools do. But some schools also want racial diversity in their classes, and that’s not a bad thing. I might legitimately want a larger sample of native american physicians in my medical school if I specifically want my graduates to serve native american populations and so I might specifically court those applicants and offer them scholarships. I genuinely fail to see what’s wrong with that.

I'm not sure if this is just a state thing but anyone who can prove at least 25% Native American ancestry gets full state scholarships to college. I know a few nice Jewish boys (a friend's sons) who visit their home tribe's base on a yearly basis to maintain their tribal standing.

While these kids don't need it, I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

amother

Seafoam

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:17 am
ectomorph wrote:
"male and female he created them"
A man cant become pregnant
And a woman cant become pregnant without a man to impregnate her...

Race you can be mixed but you cant be a boy and a girl at the same time

You must have missed the day they discussed interz3xed people in biology.

amother

Seafoam

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:29 am
Squishy wrote:
They have traditionally tried to do that. Now it is advantageous to claim to be black. You get preferential treatment.

In what world do blacks get "preferential treatment"? There is still a huge amount of racism in the world. Minorities are even pulled over for traffic stops at a much higher rate than whites. (Its referred to as "driving while black.")

Haven't you read about the black man blocked from entering his own apartment building by a white woman? The black man who was driving home two kids he was watching, and had a white woman follow him AND call the police? On black men using a grill in the park? On a black man cashing his own paycheck? On a black man moving into an apartment? Ving Rhames was held at gunpoint in his own house by police, because a white woman thought he was breaking in (the episode was defused in the end because one of the officers had a kid who played basketball against Rhames' kid).

You think that's "preferential treatment"?

marina

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 1:58 pm
DrMom wrote:

I know you’re trying to get some emotional response with these examples, but I still don’t see what all the drama is about. People can’t travel back in time so we can’t change our age. But we can change our religion and gender so that’s what people will do. People are going to change the things they can and try to push that line as soon as possible. Just the nature of us humans we are always changing.

If there’s a scholarship for Jews, is a ger ineligible just because she or he was born Christian? Or to use your lingo if the Christian just “feels” Jewish? Well sure, if you ask a Christian, they’ll probably tell you that this convert nebach is just confused and you can’t change what you “really” are... lol

amother

Rose

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:04 pm
marina wrote:
I know you’re trying to get some emotional response with these examples, but I still don’t see what all the drama is about. People can’t travel back in time so we can’t change our age. But we can change our religion and gender so that’s what people will do. People are going to change the things they can and try to push that line as soon as possible. Just the nature of us humans we are always changing.

If there’s a scholarship for Jews, is a ger ineligible just because she or he was born Christian? Or to use your lingo if the Christian just “feels” Jewish? Well sure, if you ask a Christian, they’ll probably tell you that this convert nebach is just confused and you can’t change what you “really” are... lol

The question is, why is the line where it is now? Why not push the line just a bit and allow people to identity their own race? Ultra liberals are the ones who decide where that line is, and right now race is untouchable.

amother

Forestgreen

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:08 pm
Here is Abby Stein’s explanation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfd9R70jtc4

amother

Babyblue

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
The question is, why is the line where it is now? Why not push the line just a bit and allow people to identity their own race? Ultra liberals are the ones who decide where that line is, and right now race is untouchable.

Race is quickly becoming an antiquated concept.

amother

Babyblue

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Seems like the Supreme Court agrees-- https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22.....index.html

agrees regarding 'mental illness'? No.

amother

Seafoam

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:

Indeed. And the sooner the better.

amother

Seafoam

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:

With what?

The Supreme Court allowed a limited ban on certain transgender persons serving in the military to stand while arguments are held in the lower courts.

Nothing about mental illness.

I think its a ridiculous and wrong decision. What does gender have to do with military service?

amother

Silver

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:

Then they should throw out all the affirmative action laws.

amother

Rose

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:

Perhaps. But cultural appropriation is still grounds for heavy duty criticism.

Fox

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
I think its a ridiculous and wrong decision. What does gender have to do with military service?

It's really a non-story, IMHO. Basically, you cannot serve in the military as a gender other than that of your birth unless you've already transitioned. The exemptions are numerous and individual exemptions can be granted.

Quote:
Most transgender persons are now disqualified from military service except:

Service members who have been stable for three years in their biological relations prior to joining the military -- meaning 36 months after completion of surgery and hormone treatments.

Service members diagnosed with "gender dysphoria" after joining the military can stay in the military if they don't require a change of gender and remain deployable. Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender with which the person identifies, according to the American Psychiatric Association.

Service members who were diagnosed with "gender dysphoria" before the effective date of the policy can still serve and receive medical treatment.

Transgender persons without a gender dysphoria diagnosis or history can serve in their birth relations.

The Defense Department can issue waivers on a case-by-case basis. The policy also states that transgender persons serving who require gender reassignment surgery or hormonal treatment during their service would be disqualified due to their inability to be deployed for a period longer than 12 months.

So, basically, the military doesn't want to be involved in your transition. This isn't a new concept. The military also doesn't want to be involved in your obesity, your asthma, or your flat feet if those conditions are going to prevent you from being deployed.

Sebastian

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:50 pm
I don't care if blacks get a boost in college or starting a business (provided it's private help and not from the government). Many blacks are at a disadvantage and I don't care if they get extra help. I just want the extra help to actually help them.

(And I fully support criminal justice reform for non violent criminals. It is horrific that a teen can be put away for most of his life for selling drugs)
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h