Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Shabbos day alternative to cholent
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:44 am
finallyamommy wrote:
As far as I know, it's a rabbinic halacha so that we don't appear to be imitating the Karaites, who only had Written Torah and thought they had to eat cold food in the dark on Shabbos. Of course, you fulfill the obligation with a cup of tea, or some such--doesn't need to be a full hot meal.

As for alternative to cholent, there are many. I've never made cholent. Warm up schnitzel or sheperd's pie or meat pie or fish or lasagna or the blech. Or make beef stew, which we vastly prefer to everyone else's heavy bean-and-barley cholent--use beef broth and canned tomatoes and potatoes and carrots and onions and spices, I don't have amounts, but it turns out great every week. Or make it with red wine, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, rosemary, and thyme. Or make split pea soup in the crockpot. I'll come back if I think of more ideas.

There were communities that had cold cuts on shabbos (yekkies I think). I'm pretty sure it's not halacha. Going to ask.

N'sMom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 5:43 pm
I've made boeuf bourgignon a couple of times. I use the Ina Garten recipe but (obviously) minus the bacon. It is amazing.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:42 pm
octopus wrote:
There were communities that had cold cuts on shabbos (yekkies I think). I'm pretty sure it's not halacha. Going to ask.

Something hot doesn’t mean hot main course. Could be a cup of hot water after deli sandwiches

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:48 pm
abaker wrote:
Andrea how do you use the instapot on shabbos, doesn't it make a noise when you open it? I always want to use mine for shabbos but don't know how to do it.

I bought the slow cooker lid. It wasn’t expensive and it makes no noise. You could really use any lid that fits. I even have a silicone lid that we could use.

erb17

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:55 pm
Does it have to be something hot from the start of shabbos or warming up schnitzel shabbos day on hot plate would be okay?

librarylady

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 9:43 pm
I made mini meatballs once in the crockpot for shabbos lunch and served them with white rice. They had a bit of a different consistency than usual but were yummy and got eaten up! I just used my plain old meatball recipe (sauce, and chopped meat rolled into balls...)

mammale

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:54 pm
There are so many different yummy ideas.. I can't wait to try some of these out!
I just want to point out that serving a hot food with something cold may be problematic, ask your LOR. (Eg. Something from the crock pot, over challah for eg. May be considered bishul)

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:38 am
finallyamommy wrote:
As far as I know, it's a rabbinic halacha so that we don't appear to be imitating the Karaites, who only had Written Torah and thought they had to eat cold food in the dark on Shabbos. Of course, you fulfill the obligation with a cup of tea, or some such--doesn't need to be a full hot meal.

I once had a Karaite guest on Shabbat and she ate the hot food but maybe she wasn't that frum.

Also the Karaites did not exist during the time of Chazal. I'll only call something "rabbinic halacha" if it's in the Gemara. So here's something interesting, I found here "There is a mitzvah to prepare hot food for Shabbos (see Rema 257:8), and this is done to differentiate us from the karaites, who claim that no fire can be left over Shabbos. The Ba’al Ha’meor was particularly stringent about this matter." but when I looked at that Rema what I found was ומצוה להטמין לשבת כדי שיאכל חמין בשבת כי זה מכבוד ועונג שבת וכל מי שאינו מאמין בדברי החכמים ואוסר אכילת חמין בשבת חיישי' שמא אפיקורס הוא (בעל המאור פרק במה טומנין וכל בו), it is a mitzvah to prepare chamin to eat on Shabbat because it honors Shabbat and makes it enoyable and anyone who doesn't believe in the words of the Sages and forbids eating hot food on Shabbat is suspected of heresy (with a reference to the Baal Hameor). Now perhaps the Baal Hameor which I haven't found does view hot food on Shabbat as obligatory, but it seems to me that the Rema has two separate reasons, and if one finds cold food more suitable that would also fulfill the mitzvah of honoring Shabbat and making it enjoyable, what would be problematic would be if one forbids hot food. But of course ask a rabbi.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:57 pm
The word cholent stems from Hebrew word "shlon" meaning overnighted. So yes needs to something that was put up before zman & stays heated throughout night & until eaten by day

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 11:35 pm
We sometimes do a chili inspired Cholent.
We also have kasha most weeks.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 12:08 am
mammale wrote:
There are so many different yummy ideas.. I can't wait to try some of these out!
I just want to point out that serving a hot food with something cold may be problematic, ask your LOR. (Eg. Something from the crock pot, over challah for eg. May be considered bishul)

Seems to me that once it’s cooked, it’s cooked. Also if you use a kli Sheini ( like a serving spoon, instead of pouring directly on your plate) it is pretty much not bishul unless it’s something easily cooked and raw, like eggs. I don’t disagree with asking your rabbi. But if it’s an aveira to eat cold cooked food that’s been touched by food from a crock pot, we are probably all doomed.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 1:58 am
andrea levy wrote:
Seems to me that once it’s cooked, it’s cooked. Also if you use a kli Sheini ( like a serving spoon, instead of pouring directly on your plate) it is pretty much not bishul unless it’s something easily cooked and raw, like eggs. I don’t disagree with asking your rabbi. But if it’s an aveira to eat cold cooked food that’s been touched by food from a crock pot, we are probably all doomed.

This.

N'sMom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:14 am
nchr wrote:

How do you prepare kasha in crock pot? We would love that!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:29 am
dankbar wrote:
The word cholent stems from Hebrew word "shlon" meaning overnighted.

It's possible that it does, but it's not certain.

myself

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:56 am
Only raw food touching hot cooked food is a problem. Cold cooked touching hot cooked is fine, and cold baked touching hot baked is fine too.

mlc

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:07 am
dankbar wrote:
Not op. I tried pulled beef with top of rib in crockpot this week for shabbos....everyone loved it. Thanks for the inspiration.

That’s great!!! How many pounds did you do? I’m planning on trying this week and going to go shopping today ?

Also, any suggestions to serve on the side?

mlc

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:09 am
nchr wrote:

Chili inspired cholent sounds delicious!
Can you please post recipe?

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:41 pm
mlc wrote:
That’s great!!! How many pounds did you do? I’m planning on trying this week and going to go shopping today ?

Also, any suggestions to serve on the side?

Mashed potatoes
Quinoa
String beans

mlc

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:52 am
essie14 wrote:
Mashed potatoes
Quinoa
String beans

Awesome!

Also just realized you put a link in previous post for the chili- thanks!!!

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:39 am
I may be outing myself but ok, I’ll tell.
We make a chicken stew and, wait for it - before shabbos I made matza ball batter and drop in raw matza balls into the stew. Shabbos day, you have a chicken stew with glorious matza balls. Guests are astounded and omg they are so good.

For the stew - take dark meat on the bone (dont use white meat or you’ll be sad). Add tons of mushrooms, whole. 2 onions (quarter them), about a pound of sliced carrots, potatos, some sweet potatos if you want, a jar of your favorite marinara sauce, some onion soup for good measure (you can leave it out) and fill with water. This wont fit in a crock pot. Bring to boil, lower to simmer, drop in matza balls (raw) and cook for a bit. Cover tightly and put it on the blech. Serve on a platter with the matza balls on the periphery.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics