Home

I would possibly vote for Schultz
1, 2  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:21 am
I heard Howard Schultz speaking about healthcare, economy, debt... I like what he is saying.
If he runs, I might very well vote for him instead of Trump. Why are only Democrats scared of him? Republicans should be, too.

amother

cornflower

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:25 am
Mazel Tov!

Another Trump thread is born!

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:26 am
I don't think this is a Trump thread... he's not the subject of my post.

amother

Cerise

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:28 am
is he jewish? I would be nervous to have a jewish president. call me paranoid but...

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
is he jewish? I would be nervous to have a jewish president. call me paranoid but...

Yes, I believe he is.

gingertop

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:34 am
I have a problem with his having zero political experience. Being a CEO is not the same as the messaging and compromise a president must be able to pull off.
(Yeah. I know who is currently president.)

I think he's a decent human being. I do worry, like amother cerise, about the fact that he's Jewish. Jewish leaders in non-Jewish society have sometimes overcompensated for accusations of ethnocentricity/dual loyalty, by being antagonistic to Jewish interests.

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:37 am
I don't vote for jewish candidates for President.

amother

Cerise

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:41 am
I see I'm not the only one then.

leah233

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:41 am
Ostensibly the issue is just a practical one. A Howard Schultz run would almost exclusively siphon votes from the Democrats and hand Trump a second term.

In reality, there is something else so troubling to the Democrats about Schultz running as an independent.

If it was Michael Bloomberg running as an independent even though the results would be same the Democrats wouldn't be nearly as passionately opposed to his running. The New York times would not be calling it “reckless idiocy” and saying that "the reality-distorting effects of being a billionaire will warp his judgment…” , there would be no calls for the boycott of Bloomberg News etc.

Because Bloomberg is a guy who changes party affiliations based on the way the winds are blowing and where he thinks he has the best chance of winning. Therefore his running says nothing about the Democrats per se.

If however someone like Howard Schultz, a longtime Democratic donor, a strong Trump critic, and with impeccable credentials as a Democrat until this point, runs as an independent he is basically leading a revolt again the Democratic party.

Unlike other independent candidates who usually say they are inspired to run by a unique vision/issue they have which neither party is addressing, Schultz is pretty squarely saying that his motivation is how far to the left the Democrats have gone.

His campaign would give a voice and create a movement not only for Republican "deplorables" , it would give a voice to and cause a revolt even among the Democratic "deplorables"

That is what the Democrats are so scared and hysterically against him running.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:46 am
leah233, why do you think only democrats would vote for him? what about disillusioned republicans, and all the Republican Never Trumpers?
Until I heard he might run, I was certain I'd vote for trump, but now that I have a somewhat moderate option who actually sounds reasonable, I might change my mind.
As far a Jewish president- I'd rather a Jewish president (depending on his policy regarding Israel, which I have yet to see) than an israel-hating president. Also, with Jared and Ivanka having such publicity, I feel like the whole fear of a Jewish president is not relevant anymore.

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:49 am
gingertop wrote:
I have a problem with his having zero political experience. Being a CEO is not the same as the messaging and compromise a president must be able to pull off.
(Yeah. I know who is currently president.)

I think he's a decent human being. I do worry, like amother cerise, about the fact that he's Jewish. Jewish leaders in non-Jewish society have sometimes overcompensated for accusations of ethnocentricity/dual loyalty, by being antagonistic to Jewish interests.

if my options are Trump (who had no previous experience), Schultz (with no experience), and a radical left-wing Democrat with experience, I would prefer Schultz (at least so far, based on what I've heard from him).

gingertop

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:52 am
allthingsblue wrote:
if my options are Trump (who had no previous experience), Schultz (with no experience), and a radical left-wing Democrat with experience, I would prefer Schultz (at least so far, based on what I've heard from him).

By now, Trump has some experience although I'm not sure what that has taught him Smile

I wouldn't vote radical left wing. I guess Schultz could be the best of all options but in that scenario, voting for him is just throwing the election to Trump...

allthingsblue

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:54 am
gingertop wrote:
By now, Trump has some experience although I'm not sure what that has taught him Smile

I wouldn't vote radical left wing. I guess Schultz could be the best of all options but in that scenario, voting for him is just throwing the election to Trump...

Not in my case. My vote is going from Trump to Schultz.

animeme

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:59 am
It sounds like his goal is to get private industry to cover all the things that Democrats often want the government to cover. If you use the word "encourage", I like that. Tax breaks, etc, for providing everything he provides to Starbucks employees. But if you use the word, "force" or "require", that gets a lot more difficult for me. So I'm curious which way he leans.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:05 pm
gingertop wrote:

I don't think that the Democrats are going to nominate someone on the far-left fringe, but I've been wrong before.

I think that this country is suffering from having a leader without government experience, so I don't know why I would want a different leader with the same lack of experience, even if what he spouts is more in line with my beliefs than is Trump.

But very curious as to why people would not vote for a Jewish candidate. I would not vote for a candidate because he's Jewish, but I also wouldn't NOT vote for him because he's Jewish.

amother

Cerise

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:08 pm
no president is going to be beloved by everyone. those who dislike him can easily make it in to a "jewish" thing causing an even greater rise in anti-semitism. we are in galus now, we need to remember that.

leah233

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:35 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
leah233, why do you think only democrats would vote for him? what about disillusioned republicans, and all the Republican Never Trumpers?

If disillusioned republicans and Never Trumpers are going to vote for Howard Schultz they would have voted for Hillary Clinton. He basically has the same positions as her and supported her last election. Reportedly she was going to appoint him Labor Secretary had she won

Anyway as per my original comment I don't think the issue is the votes in this election per se
as much as the thought of a Democrat as prominent as Howard Schultz jumping ship and leading an anti Democratic party campaign. He would be basically leading a revolt.

In recent interviews, Schultz has been saying that progressive Democrats have grown so rigidly ideological, they can no longer recognize basic political and policy realities.

The thought of him , with his impeccable credentials as a prominent Democrat until now, campaigning on that platform is too much for the Democrats to accept.

Amarante

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:52 pm
His platform is that of a billionaire idiot.

He wants to cut Medicare and Social Security and cut corporate taxes.

The universe of people who support cutting Medicare and Social Security who share his liberal cultural ideas is almost nonexistent.

Iymnok

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:01 pm
All I know is that he seemed like a nice man when I met him in highschool and he had a relationship with Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel.
Coming from such a liberal corner of the country, I’d be weary. I’m happy to live far from Washington state. (Gorgeous scenery doesn’t make up for lack of diversity in politics)

gingertop

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

But very curious as to why people would not vote for a Jewish candidate. I would not vote for a candidate because he's Jewish, but I also wouldn't NOT vote for him because he's Jewish.

The concern is that a prominent person will become the poster boy for dangerous antisemitic conspiracies.

Also, becoming hyper-aware of one's Jewishness and constantly being called pro-Jewish will often make a Jew act against Jewish best interest. A good example of this is Sir Herbert Samuel, who was appointed High Commisioner of Palestine in order to advance Jewish interests and was indeed proudly Jewish. But in an effort to prove himself fair he ended up being the one who promoted the Grand Mufti ym"sh to his position and was also instrumental in limiting immigration just as the Nazis were turning Europe into a killing field.

ETA: I think Schultz is a decent human being and Jew and I wouldn't be too concerned, but the general concern about Jewish people in major positions is just one of the traumas we carry from our history.

Last edited by gingertop on Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h