Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shaitel = long full perfect hair, just wig = natural look ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:40 pm
dankbar wrote:
Still working at age 60....

This is a very peculiar assertion to make Confused
Most people who are working at retiree age are doing it because they need the money, especially in this economy. Not because they are trying to fool people into thinking they are younger than they really are?
Rolling Eyes

flmommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:52 pm
Those of you that have thinner more age appropriate wigs where do you buy them? Whenever I am wit shopping all the wigs have a ton of hair.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:54 pm
Jennifer Anniston is 50 and she has long blonde hair and dresses like she is 30.

I don't think it's only frum women.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:56 pm
Most of the frum women I see in their 50s and 60s are wearing much more toned down styles. Shorter and more matronly.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:08 pm
I feel like all the women complaining about older women wearing long sheitels are in their 20s and early 30s. Why do you care? Do you think they're competing with you?

I don't know why it's so bad for women to try to wear clothing and wigs that make them feel pretty. Do I run over to you and ask you why you dare to wear your wig that way, when another style would suit you better?

And listen, ladies. One day, it feels like you're turning 29 but you're actually turning 45, and you have no idea how it happened. And you don't want to start dressing like a drab, gray haired bubby simply because someone told you that you're now over the hill.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
Jennifer Anniston is 50 and she has long blonde hair and dresses like she is 30.

She is an actress and we see her on Hollywood parties in that look. I am talking about frum women in their ordinary life. The hair is totally different from the rest of their clothes, body, make up etc.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:34 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I think you’re generalizing. I wear long, beautiful wigs, and have had even non Jewish people who thought it was my own hair... one said, “But it looks like it’s growing right out of your head!”

Agreed. I’m nearly 50 and all my sheitals are long. Someone secular Jewish thought one of my sheitals was my hair and commented on how she noticed I’d stopped wearing a Sheital. I showed her how it was a wig and she was surprised. Someone at Shul didn’t realise I covered my hair until one Yom Kippur I wore a hair-covering instead of a sheital and she thought I had taken on the Mitzvah of hair covering for the first time! Another sheital of mine was thought to be my real hair by a highly-experienced hairdresser. My sheitals tend to get a bit messy vs always looking perfect (I maintain that for the day or two after it has being washed hah hah), so maybe that is why they look more authentic.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Most of the frum women I see in their 50s and 60s are wearing much more toned down styles. Shorter and more matronly.

That will never be me. ☺️🤫

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:41 pm
how ironic people used to tell me to cut my hair to fit my age ... now everybody is wearing long, zexy wigs

well I do have the perfect, thick, long hair & now you know why I no longer wear a sheitel

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
I feel like all the women complaining about older women wearing long sheitels are in their 20s and early 30s. Why do you care? Do you think they're competing with you?

I am the topic starter Smile I am close to 50 now . I started to cover my head at 45 Smile Somebody gave me one of those gorgeous hair wigs Smile And I feel that it looks ridiculous on me Smile My husband wanted to get used to it, but he just couldn’t. He also says its very unnatural . So I wear hats for now . Everybody says that I look much younger than my age, like maximum 40 . And even at 40 already most of the women don’t have this gorgeous hair and such perfect hairstyle. That’s why I am asking - is it a custom in frum community or something else is going on ?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, 5-10 years ago. Much less so these days, especially in the in town crowd.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:50 pm
Nah. My hairdresser friend had no idea. Many frum women even modern (?) have barely longer than shoulder, and many non Jewish women have long ghair. BH our women are beautiful.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:

I don't know why it's so bad for women to try to wear clothing and wigs that make them feel pretty. Do I run over to you and ask you why you dare to wear your wig that way, when another style would suit you better?

And listen, ladies. One day, it feels like you're turning 29 but you're actually turning 45, and you have no idea how it happened. And you don't want to start dressing like a drab, gray haired bubby simply because someone told you that you're now over the hill.

You really made me laugh now and I just wish I knew who you are.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
I am the topic starter Smile I am close to 50 now . I started to cover my head at 45 Smile Somebody gave me one of those gorgeous hair wigs Smile And I feel that it looks ridiculous on me Smile My husband wanted to get used to it, but he just couldn’t. He also says its very unnatural . So I wear hats for now . Everybody says that I look much younger than my age, like maximum 40 . And even at 40 already most of the women don’t have this gorgeous hair and such perfect hairstyle. That’s why I am asking - is it a custom in frum community or something else is going on ?

Plain because I started to wear a wig when I was 20. I never experienced the older look. Why should I change now? (Stil feel like I'm 18 btw) Everyone knows me like this from a long time ago. I understand why you get baffled by it. But there is no hidden reason just what I wrote.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, 5-10 years ago. Much less so these days, especially in the in town crowd.

I live oot, maybe that explains it.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:26 pm
Where do you get the idea that 50 year old women have thinning ugly real hair?

Most of the secular women I know who care about their appearances still have beautiful hair and aren't starting to go bald. Those who have thin hair always had thin hair :-).

Jennifer Aniston's hair style is appropriate for a mature woman - it's not exactly Farrah Fawcett's iconic hair style nor is it the kind of hair that is only achieved by loads of fake hair extensions like the Real Housewives of New Jersey :-).

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:10 pm
I don't care practically, like in a real way.

But I just think there's beauty to aging gracefully, and pretending to look 20 seems sad because of that.

I often am surprised when I see a woman from the back with long full hair, and then she turns around and has well, more of an older face, to be blunt. Old faces can be beautiful, but with a luscious head of celebrity hair...It's a bit off putting, is all.

It's like a 20 year old wearing pig tails. Don't get me wrong. Pig tails are adorable on a 5 year old! But it wpuldmight look strange, even on an adorable dimpled 25 year old.

I guess it's about knowing what you are, who you have developed to become.

And when exactly does one embrace grandmahood or the wisdom of matriarchy? Like, no one expects to rock a long wig at 90 and still be taken Seriously. So for the lady who said she refuses to look "graying and over the hill" - when exactly will this transformation happen?

It's hard to explain what I mean. It's OK if people don't get it. But I'm sure some of you do.

Gonna try to show pics of what I mean if I have time.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:12 pm
I think it depends what you grew up with. My bubby looked very bubbyish, and my mom always had a strong sense of what was appropriate or not for her age (ie, hair got shorter, skirts longer as she got older).

I am now at that age that I am realizing thst styles I may once have reached for are too youthful to my mind. I have to admit to finding it jarring when a young slim girl wearing a knee length pencil skirt, opaque tights, trendy boots, and a long blonde sheitel is standing in front of me, only to turn around and have the face of a 55 year old.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:24 pm
While I do agree with the saying regarding mutton dressed as lamb, I also don't think women above a certain age are relegated to looking like a bubbe.

I've deliberately not used women with obvious plastic surgery. Although Meryl Streep might have some work done, she doesn't look like a spring chicken in terms of her face either.

[img]https://I.pinimg.com/236x/5b/50/36/5b5036e3bf2f0c2fe39c9a22b382624a--wavy-hair-long-hair.jpg[/img

Eselle13

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:34 pm
I think it might be because hair ages slowly as people age. So as they age from 30 to 50, their hair slowly starts to get older. But so slowly that they don't feel the difference from day to day. But wigs don't age like that.

Most women have a few wigs that they wear until they kill them and the wig does not age like hair. So when they buy a new one, it's similar to what they are used to wearing and seeing themselves in (that they bought 5 to 10 years prior.) The same way, a lady wouldn't switch overnight from her hair at 30 to her hair at 40, they don't immediately jump to buying an older looking wig. I do think that eventually they do change, but it might be more like at 60+ instead of 40-50. I think they just lose patience with the long hair and upkeep.

Could be that they also don't think of themselves as older. My mother is turning 50 and she still has a house full of kids. Youngest is 7. I could see that in 10 years when she only has 2 left and the house is quiet, she will start to feel older because she is in the next stage of life.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics