Home

Trump says: Kim Jong Un 'felt badly' about Otto Warmbier
Previous  1, 2

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Squishy

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 2:38 pm
Kim launched a missile on average every 24 days under Obama. He hasn't launched a missile since summer of 2017.

I feel bad bad for Otto Warmbier's family, but it isn't worth it to racket up hostilities. You don't antagonize a reckless guy with nuclear weapons.

simcha2

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 2:47 pm
Squishy wrote:
Kim launched a missile on average every 24 days under Obama. He hasn't launched a missile since summer of 2017.

I feel bad bad for Otto Warmbier's family, but it isn't worth it to racket up hostilities. You don't antagonize a reckless guy with nuclear weapons.

See this sounds really great, until you actually look at the facts.

In the summer of 2017 Trump was doing everythinghe could to "antagonize a reckless guy with nuclear weapons", remember the "little rocket man" and fire and fiery tweets?

What changed has nothing to fo with Trump versus Obama it has to do with north Korea successfully launching intercontinental missiles. Up until they point they were testing, working on new ones etc.. in the summer of 2017 (way before any diplomacy from Trump) they succeeded.

But I suppose the facts don't matter and I must be suffering from TDS.

vintagebknyc

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 4:13 pm
Maybe someday, again, we'll have a president who has a command of the English language and understands grammar and style. A girl can hope.

PinkFridge

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 4:13 pm
Squishy wrote:

I don't think Trump should have said Kim didn't know. In dictatorships it works from the top down. I think there could have been a way - Trump may not have been able to do it - to telegraph disdain vs. any level of respect, while doing necessary negotiations.

roses

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 4:23 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Quote:
I'm nowhere near as smart as Trump in this stuff. 

Well, then, maybe he had a super smart reason for saying that and we will find out what it is in due time.

It's his super smart, brilliant hidden strategies...that no one understands, or only super extremely smart people just like him.

Or....the emperor has no clothes.
Which one ladies?

ectomorph

Post  Fri, Mar 01 2019, 4:25 pm
He corrected himself.

....for Otto’s mistreatment and death. Most important, Otto Warmbier will not have died in vain. Otto and his family have become a tremendous symbol of strong passion and strength, which will last for many years into the future. I love Otto and think of him often!
Show this thread

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
22m
I never like being misinterpreted, but especially when it comes to Otto Warmbier and his great family. Remember, I got Otto out along with three others. The previous Administration did nothing, and he was taken on their watch. Of course I hold North Korea responsible....

Fox

Post  Sat, Mar 02 2019, 8:04 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Why do you think Trump said that about Warmbier? What was his aim? Did he just blurt it out without thinking? What are the implications for his ability to conduct foreign policy on our behalf?

Here was my thinking prior to Trump's clarification, and I think it still holds true:

The fact is that we will never know the complete truth about what happened to Otto Warmbier.

Kim is saying, Shaggy-style, "Wasn't me!" So what are we going to do about it if we think he's lying? Are we going to refuse to negotiate with him and allow him to threaten Japan? No, we are not.

So why would Trump say, "I take him at his word"?

Because the nature of the question put Trump in a more difficult position than it might seem. If he says, "Kim denies involvement, but I don't believe him," it is a much more serious breach of Asian mores than of American mores. If Kim feels he has "lost face," he will be more likely to behave aggressively.

So Trump needed to say something pareve -- something that Kim and the North Koreans could spin as a win but which signaled to Americans that while Kim might be lying through his teeth, there's not much we can do.

Being pareve is not exactly Trump's best skill, no matter what the situation. This, IMHO, should be a reminder to Trump of how dangerous it can be to go off script. However, I suspect he called the Warmbier family to apologize.
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h