Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you put a turnip in your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

heidi

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:42 am
After years of hit or miss I discovered, the more chicken the better the soup.
I make the soup on Wedsneday and skim the fat before serving.
Onion, zuchinni, carrot, kohlrabi, fresh parsely and garlic always.
Sometimes celery and sweet potato.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:31 am
Well since I can't get it where I live, no, but I used to and don't taste the difference.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:36 am
I've put in turnip, or it's cousin the rutabaga, for delicious flavor. But I don't always. It has a different but excellent taste.

My steadies are carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, garlic, small onion, fresh dill, and a small piece of ginger. I also put a meat bone or two in addition to the chicken. The chicken, meat, dill, and ginger go into a net bag.

Salt, pepper, and water, and I'm good to go. Boil and simmer for at least 2 hours.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:36 am
DH once brought home a big, beautiful turnip.

I cut into it to make soup, and it smelled funny. I tasted it, and it was a RADISH! LOL

Actually, I prefer parsnips in my soup. If you haven't tried them, they are really delicious. I had a French lady tell me that it is impossible to make good soup without them.

Amalia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:40 am
No one mentioned leeks yet!

Thanks, ladies, for all the great ideas! Looking forward to trying them out!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:46 am
Amalia wrote:
No one mentioned leeks yet!

Thanks, ladies, for all the great ideas! Looking forward to trying them out!

Leeks are amazing, but they taste best if you saute them slowly first. You want them to caramelize a little bit. It's such a shame to just dump them in the soup without cooking them first.

mommyla

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:08 am
I always put in turnip and parsnip for flavor, but nobody likes to eat them, so I cook them in a cheesecloth bag and toss before Shabbos. I also add zucchini, carrot, small onion, and potato, and I cook it for hours and hours.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 5:55 pm
Never tried it, and I'm so curious after reading this thread!

I'm in Israel. What are turnip, parsnip, and rutabaga in Hebrew? I have never used these vegetables and I don't even know the difference between all of them to identify them by sight.

anon because I'm embarrassed at my lack of knowledge.

cinnamon

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
Never tried it, and I'm so curious after reading this thread!

I'm in Israel. What are turnip, parsnip, and rutabaga in Hebrew? I have never used these vegetables and I don't even know the difference between all of them to identify them by sight.

anon because I'm embarrassed at my lack of knowledge.

Turnip and rutabaga is lefet (לפת)
Parsnip is shoresh petrozilia (שורש פטרוזליה)

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 6:56 pm
cinnamon wrote:
Turnip and rutabaga is lefet (לפת)
Parsnip is shoresh petrozilia (שורש פטרוזליה)

Thanks!

Reality

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 8:53 pm
Yes.

I put in carrots, celery, 1 sweet potato, 1 turnip, 1 parsnip, onions, garlic cloves and fresh dill and parsley.

emzod42

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 8:53 pm
For those of you that use zucchini, doesn't it get very soggy? Or do you add it at the end? Do you think it adds flavor?

groisamomma

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 8:59 pm
When I make it: an onion, some carrots, squash, and (when we have them in the house) sweet potato and celery.
When dh makes it: chicken and onions. Carrots if we have them handy.
Only dd puts in a turnip and then she has to go buy it specifically for this.

nylon

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 9:16 pm
Wouldn't "shoresh petrozilia" literally be "parsley root"? They look the same but are two different vegetables. How do you tell them apart in Hebrew? Do people ask for petrushka like my grandma would have said?

I use onion, carrot, celery, parsley root, parsley, and dill. And plenty of chicken. My grandmother was extremely adamant that you should use parsley root and that people were making a mistake if they put parsnip in instead. She'd come back from the grave if I dared put a parsnip in!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 9:28 pm
Parsley root and parsnip may look alike but they are different vegetables and give off a different flavor. I like parsnip.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 9:42 pm
I put in turnip - a medium one in little cubes. I'll be honest -I don't think it gives a whole lot of taste to the soup. But I love a lot of cut up veggies in my chicken soup (celery, leek, carrots, turnip, garlic), and turnip has a nice texture and absorbs the taste of everything else.

Ps I don't like my soup at all sweet. So no parsnip or sweet potatoes, and minimal carrots.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 9:43 pm
I do
Celery
Carrot
Parsnip
Turnip
Small onion
Parsley/fill
Cook it up with chicken. Simmer for long time. When soup is almost ready I add zucchini and sweet potato so it doesn't Mush and stays towards the top. I think my soup is delicious

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
Parsley root and parsnip may look alike but they are different vegetables and give off a different flavor. I like parsnip.

You can't get parsnip in israel. People who say they get it in israel, "in every supermarket," are using parsley root and don't know the difference. It may be fine for chicken soup, but if you're trying a recipe that uses parsnip in large quantities it won't work right. Parsley root is sharp. Parsnip is mild and sweet.

nylon

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:26 pm
I did a bit of googling, and found many sources saying that parsnip should be גזר לבן - which makes more sense than calling it a parsley root. (Parsnips and carrots are closely related. Both are members of the same family as parsley.)

If you see them side by side, you can tell the difference; a parsnip is creamier and usually fatter, while parsley roots tend to be more pallid and thinner.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:51 pm
Just googled גזר לבן the pictures look the same as שורש פטרוזליה. I don't think they have it in the regular supermarkets I only ever heard of שורש פטרוזליה.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note