Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What was your favorite fad growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next

CatLady

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:16 pm
Quote:
And here I'm thinking, the only fad I was into was women's lib, I embroidered
this symbol on the back pocket of my jeans.

As far as toys etc, no, I don't recall any, although I think we did have Barbie dolls.

I had a peace sign on my jeans. Although I identified as a feminist, and still do.

Kids were very into crafts back in the day. I made my own Barbie Dream House out of cardboard boxes. For a while, she and my brother's G.I. Joe were a hot item (before the unfortunate downsizing). I also embroidered, knit, crocheted, sewed, did macrame, rug hooking and decoupage. And there was still plenty of time for learning the guitar and reading voraciously.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I still have my etch a Sketch
And spirograph

I loved those when I was around 5-6.

pizza4

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:58 pm
Stationary was big... lisa frank... then hi beary, hello kitty. Napkins though I didn't care for those. Then those little paper cards with pictures of dolls of them I forgot what it was called.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:04 pm
I had a “just say no” crayon box. I had zero clue what it meant.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:06 pm
Does anyone have any memories of "colorforms"? They were these boards with backgrounds and you filled it up with plastic color forms that "stuck" to the background . Little people and things.I remember sitting for hours at the table playing with them when I was around three yrs old.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Does anyone have any memories of "colorforms"? They were these boards with backgrounds and you filled it up with plastic color forms that "stuck" to the background . Little people and things.I remember sitting for hours at the table playing with them when I was around three yrs old.

YES! We had those on long car rides to go see grandma and grandpa.

I was very into unicorns and rainbows for a long time. I read a lot of YA fantasy fiction.

When I got older I was embroidering everything in sight. I still love to do it, but my hands don't always cooperate like they used to.

Greenpeace and vegetarianism. I was definitely a little hippie (in a very conservative household!)

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:22 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Such sweet memories. Sigh...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37w2qVn3UAc

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:58 pm
Who remembers metal lunch boxes with matching thermos with different cartoon character

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:02 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Who remembers metal lunch boxes with matching thermos with different cartoon character

ME!!!!! Lol. Mine was yellow with Care Bears in first grade.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:20 pm
Etch a sketch. Spirograph. Metal character lunch boxes they are making again.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:46 pm
So.I always thought of myself as not into fads. But thinking about it, I really was. I'm wondering if any if these were international. I'm really showing my age here.

Putting a tennis ball in half of a pair of tights and standing with your back to a brick wall and bouncing the ball through the tights against the wall behind you in all various combinations

Handball, still my kids most popular game. Complex rules

Marbles. Played with a pog which was the hole you were trying shoot them into

Jacks (knucklebones)

Skipping rope (jump rope)

A paddle bat with a ball stuck in the middle by a string

Yoyos. Particularly ones with Coke or Fanta on them

shirasingsalot

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:56 pm
So many Smile yo-yos, tamagachis, beanie babies, jelly shoes!, chinese jump rope, pogs (anyone remember those??)

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:14 pm
Hey!

My kids play Chinese jump rope these days!

...and they bounce a ball-in-a-sock against the wall, singing, " hello hello hello sir
Meet me at the grocer,
No sir,
Why sir
Because I have a cold sir..."

Does anyone remember that chant?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:25 pm
When I was an older teen Michal Negrin jewelry was all the rage.
Porcelain dolls (can they still be found?)
Bows in our ponytail, even through high school.
Lisa Frank collection.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:27 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Hey!

...and they bounce a ball-in-a-sock against the wall, singing, " hello hello hello sir
Meet me at the grocer,
No sir,
Why sir

Yes. I sure do

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:30 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Hey!

Meet me at the grocer,
No sir,
Why sir

I do! I do!

Do you remember this "hand potching" chant?
Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack
All dressed in black black black
With silver buttons buttons buttons
All down her back back back
she asked her mother mother mother
For 15 cents cents cents
To see the elephants elephants elephants
Jump over the fence fence fence
They jumped so high high high
They reached the sky sky sky
And never came back back back
'Till the fourth of July

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:33 pm
Miss mary mack mack is still alive and well. My toddler came home from playgroup singing it.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:33 pm
I was a child in the 80s. I think there were a lot of things I liked and had, including:

One Cabbage Patch Doll, and one knock off. (I still have them, or rather, my kids do.)
My Little Pony. (The ones I had have been inherited by my daughter. I don't like to look and see that one is missing its tail, because I still like them.)
Of course I had Barbies as well (also inherited by my daughter, but I don't feel as attached to them now as the Cabbage Patch Dolls and the ponies.)

Someone here mentioned "Pound Puppies." I had a knock off called "Take me home puppy." I don't have it anymore.

I don't know if this was a fad, but there was a brand of dog stuffed animals called "Wrinkles" which could also be a puppet. One of my kids has that somewhere.

Anyone here remember Pogo Balls? (Of course, I had the knock off, called "Logo Ball" but it worked the same way.)

Also, our family had a Commodore 64. I don't know if that is a fad, but those interested in computers would be interested in that. I mainly used it to play video games, but it was such fun.

One thing that was trendy at our school was friendship beads. We would string beads on safety pins and wear them on our shoelaces, and trade them. We also had sticker albums and traded stickers.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:36 pm
What about hair accessories? Scrunchies, bra strap headbands, those plastic zigzag headbands... Hair flipped out, hair ironed super straight...

nchr

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:46 pm
Furbies
Tamagotchi
Page 3 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics