Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles Explained
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
One shot gives 93% immunity.
Two gives 97%.

One shot is way better than none.

But it does take some time (2 weeks?) For immunity to kick in. I'd speak to a doctor about the timing, where you are, possible exposure, and where you are flying to. Rather, he should speak to a doctor. He's 17!

On that note, does he need an adult to consent to this vaccine or can he decide on his own? The law probably varies by location.

He’s not your garden variety 17 year old I need to take him to be vaccinated hopefully he will agree otherwise I don’t know what I’ll do. He won’t be here before Sunday and the timing is really tight. Ugh just kicking myself here. Consent isn’t an issue.

Mevater

amother wrote:
I have no idea. But that's what a religious exemption is meant for - religions that do not permit vaccination.

Wouldnt people wanting this exemption have to tell someone, such as goverment officials who may ask, which religious leader is insisting that they not vaccinate?

giselle

Mevater wrote:
The Chassidic women in the clip defend their position quite well.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

What a Chillul Hashem. Pathetic.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 11:36 pm
Mevater wrote:
Wouldnt people wanting this exemption have to tell someone, such as goverment officials who may ask, which religious leader is insisting that they not vaccinate?

I've never gone through the process. There has to be some sort of documentation.

The notion of making a personal choice not to vaccinate - and then suggesting you are religiously exempt - is not how religious exemptions are meant to work.

(which is why the notion that there are schools where some claim a religious exemption and some don't.. and I'm not talking about 'mixed schools' with 'all types'... is bizarre... and when things are quiet - nobody really cares... but now?)

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 11:46 pm
giselle wrote:
What a Chillul Hashem. Pathetic.

The Chilul Hashem is the growing number of cases, not the 2 women speaking, one of whom I thought made a quite sensible point.

Its the age old question: Why use something potentially harmful to prevent illness, if were not sure whether its totally safe?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 11:52 pm
Mevater wrote:
The Chilul Hashem is the growing number of cases, not the 2 women speaking, one of whom I thought made a quite sensible point.

Its the age old question: Why use something potentially harmful to prevent illness, if were not sure whether its totally safe?

Because you want to be a member of the society which requires it.

Laiya

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
Ya I know, but they tackled real life issues. It wasn’t, “I dream of Genie.”

They had no choice, so they made the best of the situation.

There's no grand conspiracy.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:07 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fe.....FsLzI

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:27 am
amother wrote:
Because you want to be a member of the society which requires it.

Im a vaxer, but if Id suspect that a relative of mine has health issues as a result, I dont know if I could be convinced to vax by anyone.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 2:21 am
When vaccines were first introduced, rabbonim had to decide if the risk of death of the small pox vaccine, which was 1 in 1000, was worth the risk but halacha says we must flee from a plague and when there was an epidemic, vaccination was allowed to take place on Shabbos if that was the only time that it would be available for years.
Basically, if there is no epidemic, risking the life of a healthy person is halachically questionable but today, because of travel, a plague anywhere on earth can reach NY in a matter of hours.
We are also told halacha is to follow the opinion of the majority of doctors.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:12 am
Mevater wrote:
The Chassidic women in the clip defend their position quite well.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

I actually dont think so at all. All I heard was misplaced passion, not convincing logic. They look ridiculous.
I am so embarassed to go to work today...all my coworkers are going to be asking me aout this. Siiiiggghh

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:43 am
little neshamala wrote:
I actually dont think so at all. All I heard was misplaced passion, not convincing logic. They look ridiculous.
I am so embarassed to go to work today...all my coworkers are going to be asking me aout this. Siiiiggghh

Lets give credit where credit is due. Both of the Williamsburg women here spoke English quite well. It could have been a lot worse. The woman who said she doesnt have kids yet and her husband is a teacher needs some grammar lessons.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:57 am
little neshamala wrote:

You don't see her full statement in the clip. Read the article.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:10 am
Mevater wrote:
Lets give credit where credit is due. Both of the Williamsburg women here spoke English quite well. It could have been a lot worse. The woman who said she doesnt have kids yet and her husband is a teacher needs some grammar lessons.

I dont care how well they speak english. In fact, if they had a horrendous english but were making valid points then I wouldnt be embarassed at all.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:18 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
You don't see her full statement in the clip. Read the article.

I read it. Didnt see anything enlightening at all.

And I cant get past the response of "my child had measles!"when asked if they believe children can die from it.
What an illogical answer.
Do you believe babies can get sick from raw honey? "My baby ate raw honey!"
Do you believe polio could paralyze? "My grandfather had polio and he wasnt!"
Do you believe falling 10 feet can break a leg? "My child fell 10 feet and hes fine"

Such a dumb answer.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:21 am
Ugh. I’m nauseaous. What an embarrassment. What brainless idiots.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:21 am
Mevater wrote:

In that case why give vitamin C or D in large doses to prevent illness when we are not sure it’s safe and there have been recorded instances of people being harmed from taking too much.

Interestingly enough the same people that claim vitamin c and d are good despite the tiny risk, are the same people that say vaccines are no good because of the tiny risk.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
In that case why give vitamin C or D in large doses to prevent illness when we are not sure it’s safe and there have been recorded instances of people being harmed from taking too much.

Interestingly enough the same people that claim vitamin c and d are good despite the tiny risk, are the same people that say vaccines are no good because of the tiny risk.

To add some anecdotal evidence - in today's paper there was an article describing a kidney failure in a man linked to his large doses of Vitamin D.

Laiya

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:29 am
Mevater wrote:
Im a vaxer, but if Id suspect that a relative of mine has health issues as a result, I dont know if I could be convinced to vax by anyone.

It's important to try to be logical. If a relative had an allergic reaction to a component in the vaccine, you'd want to find out whether you or your children may also have that allergy. If it wasn't an allergic reaction, you want to ask many questions from medical experts, epidemiologists, etc., whom you trust, whether it's possible that something that may look like an adverse reaction was, in fact, caused by the vaccine.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:37 am
Mevater wrote:

I watched the longer clip.

It was interesting to see one of the women argue from a place of Mesora.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics