Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all who are making Pesach w/o money tell me you secret
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:01 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Those prices are from 3 years ago.. this thread is from 2019.

That explains so much. Didn’t realize it was a bumped thread. Sorry. Crazy how much things have changed in 3 years!

justforfun87

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:16 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
That explains so much. Didn’t realize it was a bumped thread. Sorry. Crazy how much things have changed in 3 years!

Yaas! Salmon here is 15.99-18.99 at the jewish stores this year! It use to be 9.99 even on sale for as little at 6.99 back a few years ago Sad

Aurora

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:24 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Yaas! Salmon here is 15.99-18.99 at the jewish stores this year! It use to be 9.99 even on sale for as little at 6.99 back a few years ago Sad

Salmon is one of the few fish that is comparatively easy to buy at a non-Jewish store. It's because it's so hard to fake the color of the fish. Ask your LOR how to do it?

My brother will do it at home, and he's very machmir on kashrut.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:29 pm
Aurora wrote:
Salmon is one of the few fish that is comparatively easy to buy at a non-Jewish store. It's because it's so hard to fake the color of the fish. Ask your LOR how to do it?

My brother will do it at home, and he's very machmir on kashrut.

Yes yes I agree and usually do this. I had planned on doing that for Pesach as well but Star - K put out a statement saying not recommended due to a glaze used to coat fresh fish containing kitniyot. I called the OU though and they said fresh salmon was fine but needs to rinsed under cold water.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 1:30 pm
princessleah wrote:
This may be somewhat controversial, but I really believe, that for anyone who is having trouble making yom tov because of financial constraints, they should be given a heter to eat machine matzah. Or if not that, gebrokts. Or if not that, kitniyot. It is getting harder and harder. If you're not willing to give up the shmura (or hand-shmura), at least fill up on rice and beans. And frankly the leaders and rabbonim should be making sure that everyone should have the means to make pesach and if they don't, they should be giving out heterim like flyers on a street corner.

I was at Stop and Shop yesterday and they had a coupon where you could get 5 boxes of machine matzah FOR FREE.

Now this is REALLY controversial but we eat machine shmura at the seder. My husband's rav said it was preferable actually... less people involved so less likely there would be mistakes. Easier to clean a metal machine vs all those hands. Timing is exact as it is a machine. So we hold it is actually better!! We try to only do machine!

Now produce, meat, chicken, dairy on the other hand... we didnt buy sauces, kids snacks, chips and only minimal processed items (potato starch, spices) due to cost and it still added up to a ton.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 2:02 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Those prices are from 3 years ago.. this thread is from 2019.

Ooops, I bumped up this thread because it was the only mention on Imamother of Tiferes Shmura Matza that I bought THIS year for under $20 a pound, and its just as thin and good as the expensive Shmura, better than some really expensive Matzahs.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics