Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you eat only peeled produce?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 5:36 pm
My parents became chabad and took on pretty much all the chabad minhagim, to an extreme. Nuts only that we shelled ourself, all peeled veggies and fruits, different knives for peeling and cutting, things dropped on the floor were not used again till after pesach. Only preocessed food was sugar, kosher salt, wine, grape juice, and matza. Little kids could have milk and apple juice. They didn't even use washing up liquid except before or after pesach. Can't Believe It

In some ways pesach was a treat since we ate tons of meat and chicken which we had very rarely during the year. But I was always hungry between meals. No cakes or cookies, only desserts were fruit salad and frozen bananas.

My husbands family also became chabad but took on many fewer of the more stringent minhagim. They peel everything but use a lot more products, like shelled or ground nuts, oil, potato starch etc.

We are somewhere in between. I use less stuff then my inlaws but way more then my parents. Honestly I really don't think the nuts I shell myself in my kitchen are any more mehudar then the ones made under excellent supervision and with no messy toddlers around.

Officially we don't eat chocolate but I sneak some when no one is around.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
It's so sad how many people ruin pesach for generations of descendants because of their own hangups, as illustrated in so many posts here. Do they really think that's what Hashem wants pesach to be for them? Or are they not even thinking about the big picture at all?

Agreed. I know an older couple where the wife brought in her own chumras on top of her husband's minhagim. Some of their kids are resentful and now don't keep any of those minhagim, not the real ones or the added ones, because they've felt so stifled and choked for no reason.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
It's so sad how many people ruin pesach for generations of descendants because of their own hangups, as illustrated in so many posts here. Do they really think that's what Hashem wants pesach to be for them? Or are they not even thinking about the big picture at all?

My pesach is neither sad nor ruined. That's not a very nice thing to say.

And as far as asking if that's what Hashem really wants pesach to be for them.... well, there is always someone less observant than you (or perhaps just less restrictive) looking at YOUR pesach and having the same thought!

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:36 am
Only peeled fruits and veggies, except lettuce.
No veg w seeds either, so no cucumber, tomato, etc.

Studious

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:18 am
I haven’t read all the posts, so maybe I missed the explanation. What’s the problem with vegetables with seeds? Are they too similar to grains?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 6:32 am
My grandfather says so called super frum people today would not eat in families that were chassidish pre war because they have made up new chumros. It comes out of many experiences

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 6:42 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My pesach is neither sad nor ruined. That's not a very nice thing to say.

And as far as asking if that's what Hashem really wants pesach to be for them.... well, there is always someone less observant than you (or perhaps just less restrictive) looking at YOUR pesach and having the same thought!

Why so defensive? I'm obviously not talking about those following true minhagim. I'm talking about the mishegasim that people pile on top of their minhagim. And the ones who insist on combining minhagim from both sides when that's not how things are done in Judaism.

Metukah

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 6:42 am
Ruchel wrote:
My grandfather says so called super frum people today would not eat in families that were chassidish pre war because they have made up new chumros. It comes out of many experiences

My grandparents lived in Poland pre war and all our pesach minhagim came from there. Including peeling all produce.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:28 am
Only peeled. My MIL cheated and did some quesrionable methods of oven kashering for years. She eats certain peeled stuff.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:19 am
Metukah wrote:
My grandparents lived in Poland pre war and all our pesach minhagim came from there. Including peeling all produce.

I didn't say it didn't exist but standing what I said

imasoftov

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:51 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Only peeled. My MIL cheated and did some quesrionable methods of oven kashering for years. She eats certain peeled stuff.

We also don't peel our oven

ggdm

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
things dropped on the floor were not used again till after pesach.

What changes in the status of the thing until next pesach so that it can be used again? Do you kasher it? If so, why not kasher it on pesach chol hamoed?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:12 am
Metukah wrote:

Same.
The only thing different is that everything (and everything was very little, because they were dirt poor) got kashered whereas I'm told "better not to" and I have separate everything for Pesach (kitchen included) and don't have to kasher anything.
But the minhagim about what we eat and how we prepare it -- that was already around from generations back in Poland.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:17 am
ggdm wrote:
What changes in the status of the thing until next pesach so that it can be used again? Do you kasher it? If so, why not kasher it on pesach chol hamoed?

R Schneinberg a"h said to wash food that falls on the floor for sanitary reasons but ok to eat and not chometz.

Metukah

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:04 pm
ggdm wrote:

There is no 'botel beshishim' with chometz unless it is prepared /in the house before pesach, therefore if falling on the floor made it chometz it can't be used but next year pesach it is okay.

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:27 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
Only peeled fruits and veggies, except lettuce.
No veg w seeds either, so no cucumber, tomato, etc.

So I assume you mean no fruits also since cucumbers, eggplants, etc. are considering to be botanical fruits hence the seeds....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:24 pm
Metukah wrote:
There is no 'botel beshishim' with chometz unless it is prepared /in the house before pesach, therefore if falling on the floor made it chometz it can't be used but next year pesach it is okay.

If one vacuumed and hand scrubbed the floor, there would no longer be chametz on it. So something falling on the floor would not pick up any. Is this a throwback to the very olden days where people had dirt floors or wood with tiny cracks that couldn't be cleaned properly? In this day and age, with the type of flooring and cleansers that we have, it is absurd to say that one cannot be sure to get rid of all of the chametz on the floor.

After using your "chametz" hairbrush, do you scrub your hands in case there was chametz on it? Some of these "rules" no longer make sense and for an intelligent people it makes no sense to keep following them.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 4:11 pm
MO and I don't peel. I might die without berries.

ggdm

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:35 pm
Metukah wrote:

Ok, so let's say a knife fell down. You say it has chametz sticking to it from the floor, so if I cut something with that knife, the chametz would transfer to the food and I eat chametz. Correct? Your explanation with the batel beshishim makes sense if I now use the knife only befor next pesach to prepare pesach food. But I don't see how I could use it again on next pesach. It still has chametz, no? What am I missing?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:53 pm
Re chametz on the floor etc... How is that reconciled with the second Mishnah in Pesachim (about NOT being concerned with weasel dragging chametz around)? (I know we don't pasken from the mishnah, but it still feels like adding to the Torah to ME). Seeking to understand.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics