Home

Here's why
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic       Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

Do you think I did the right thing?
No! Why did you do this to yourself? You will be bored stiff.
 13%  [ 14 ]
Yes! You will have peace of mind.
 74%  [ 76 ]
Who knows? Only time will tell.
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 102


momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:12 pm
I saw pics from the antivax speeches this week in monsey and there were quite a few non jews in the crowd.
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:13 pm
Einikel wrote:
I’m chassidish and we vax. But I do see that it’s common in our circles not to vax or to be skeptical about vaccines.


It's gotten so ridiculous, that even sensible normal people who do vaccinate are beginning to talk about vaccines as if they contain hidden mines that can explode and kill their children.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:15 pm
Einikel wrote:
I’m chassidish and we vax. But I do see that it’s common in our circles not to vax or to be skeptical about vaccines.


I’m curious, any idea why that is?
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:16 pm
youngishbear wrote:
It's gotten so ridiculous, that even sensible normal people who do vaccinate are beginning to talk about vaccines as if they contain hidden mines that can explode and kill their children.



My neighbor listens to the akeres habayis hotline. She said she listened to one “informative” talk there about vaccines and almost got convinced. She quickly hung up before she would get any doubts. They can be very convincing. Sadly.
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:16 pm
momsrus wrote:
I saw pics from the antivax speeches this week in monsey and there were quite a few non jews in the crowd.


How’d they find out about this magical event?
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:17 pm
crust wrote:
You won't see me on vaccine threads again.
Its because I added it to the hidden list.


You are so missing out!!! There is a new post every hour. I guess you are a none fomo typa gal.


Last edited by flowerpower on Thu, May 16 2019, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Einikel




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:19 pm
giselle wrote:
I’m curious, any idea why that is?


Maybe because many don’t have internet and their source of information are the “informative” hotlines who shall not be named.
Back to top

momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:24 pm
flowerpower wrote:
How’d they find out about this magical event?


Good question

Maybe they listen to akeres habayis LOL
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 4:25 pm
flowerpower wrote:
You are so mixing out!!! There is a new post every hour. I guess you are a none fomo typa gal.

Haha. The war is raging!!
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 5:12 pm
momsrus wrote:
I saw pics from the antivax speeches this week in monsey and there were quite a few non jews in the crowd.


Can you distinguish between pictures of non-Jews and pictures of Jews who are non-Orthodox? That's a talent that I don't have. Some faces are obviously Jewish, but mostly, I can't tell.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 5:42 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Can you distinguish between pictures of non-Jews and pictures of Jews who are non-Orthodox? That's a talent that I don't have. Some faces are obviously Jewish, but mostly, I can't tell.


And some are obviously not Jewish. In Monsey it's fairly easy to the difference. Of couse there is room for error, but it takes no special talent. I can tell the Haitians from the Central Americans from the Orientals from the frum Jews.

A lady walking down the street in pants on the short side with darker skin with long straight hair, she's a cleaning lady. Really takes no special talent. The Hispanic people can even tell which country they are from with accuracy.

As to the formerly frum, that's also easy. They have tells.

Clean cut without Yamukahs interested in non-vax talks - they're a probably anti- vaxers from the Green Meadow Waldorf Christian community in Chestnut Ridge represented by Sussman.

There are not many non-frum Jews in my part of town. I only know one family, and their face is Jewish.
Back to top

momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:16 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Can you distinguish between pictures of non-Jews and pictures of Jews who are non-Orthodox? That's a talent that I don't have. Some faces are obviously Jewish, but mostly, I can't tell.


Yes I can tell the difference
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:27 pm
Squishy wrote:
And some are obviously not Jewish. In Monsey it's fairly easy to the difference. Of couse there is room for error, but it takes no special talent. I can tell the Haitians from the Central Americans from the Orientals from the frum Jews.

A lady walking down the street in pants on the short side with darker skin with long straight hair, she's a cleaning lady. Really takes no special talent. The Hispanic people can even tell which country they are from with accuracy.

As to the formerly frum, that's also easy. They have tells.

Clean cut without Yamukahs interested in non-vax talks - they're a probably anti- vaxers from the Green Meadow Waldorf Christian community in Chestnut Ridge represented by Sussman.

There are not many non-frum Jews in my part of town. I only know one family, and their face is Jewish.


I understand. You're doing this mainly by ethnicity and what ethnicities are likely to be Jewish in Monsey. I get that.

I was thinking about a broader context. In general, I can't tell the difference. I also know a lot of people who adopted kids, or couples at least one of whom is a ger, possibly not of European ancestry, so it's much harder to tell.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:30 pm
There is a certain white face that frum Jews don't typically have (see Ann Coulter and picture her with a sheitel) but it's hard to spot.
Back to top

momsrus




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:33 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I understand. You're doing this mainly by ethnicity and what ethnicities are likely to be Jewish in Monsey. I get that.

I was thinking about a broader context. In general, I can't tell the difference. I also know a lot of people who adopted kids, or couples at least one of whom is a ger, possibly not of European ancestry, so it's much harder to tell.


I was basing on ethnicity. Pretty sure the Asian and African American women were not Jewish. Never knew you need to be especially talented to notice that, but I learned something new today.
Back to top

Sebastian




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:40 pm
It was all over Twitter from sunday
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 6:43 pm
giselle wrote:
I meant in the frum world. Anyway that’s not fact, just my perception.

My DH recently found out that his very close friend does not vaccinate. He's heimish lite (if there is such a thing) and lives here in Monsey. His wife is a very intelligent and college educated woman. They are looking into moving to Florida and two schools told them that they refuse to set up interviews with them because they don't vaccinate and it's part of their school rules. They are health fanatics and into the "natural" way. But they don't fit the stereotype that many believe anti vaxxers fit.
I think a lot are ultra Chasidish or ultra yeshivish but there are plenty of others on the bandwagon that are not part of those groups. There was a BT I met recently in Monsey who also has an extreme view on all things natural and she doesn't vaccinate either .
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 7:06 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I understand. You're doing this mainly by ethnicity and what ethnicities are likely to be Jewish in Monsey. I get that.

I was thinking about a broader context. In general, I can't tell the difference. I also know a lot of people who adopted kids, or couples at least one of whom is a ger, possibly not of European ancestry, so it's much harder to tell.


The post was about a crowd in Monsey.

It's not just about ethnicity. It's about dress and mannerisms. Jewesses wear skirts. Male Jews cover their heads. It's not hard to spot the middle age Jewish guy by his baseball hat. When you see even the boys wearing baseball hats outside of Monsey, in Rockland county, it's a Jewish family the overwhelming majority of the time. I once wrote about Jewdar. It's real.

I was recently in Walmart. Every customer was either Jewish or an immigrant or the child of an immigrant. The only non-Jewish Americans were the workers.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 7:18 pm
Squishy wrote:
The post was about a crowd in Monsey.

It's not just about ethnicity. It's about dress and mannerisms. Jewesses wear skirts. Male Jews cover their heads. It's not hard to spot the middle age Jewish guy by his baseball hat. When you see even the boys wearing baseball hats outside of Monsey, in Rockland county, it's a Jewish family the overwhelming majority of the time. I once wrote about Jewdar. It's real.

I was recently in Walmart. Every customer was either Jewish or an immigrant or the child of an immigrant. The only non-Jewish Americans were the workers.


Jewish women may wear skirts in Monsey, but go out of town and they're not wearing skirts, even the Orthodox women.

I don't understand what you're saying about Walmart. Immigrants and children of immigrants are mostly Americans too. My father was an immigrant. My mother is an immigrant. I am a child of immigrants. My father didn't become a citizen the day he and his family got off the boat, and neither did my mother. They waited / passed citizenship tests, etc. That doesn't make them not American.

But that's not what I was asking. My question was really this: I looked at the picture of the anti-vax event, and saw a few unmarried Orthodox young women (long sleeves, general BaisYaakov look) and a whole lot of Orthodox married women. It was easy to identify them; they wore tichels or sheitels. But somewhere on the left a few rows back I saw a woman with what looked like her own hair, blonde and slightly frizzy. Her top was sleeveless. I know non-Orthodox Jews who look like that. I know non-Jews who look like that. I personally can't tell the difference, and I'm not sure that you can, either.
Back to top

crust




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 16 2019, 7:51 pm
flowerpower wrote:
You are so missing out!!! There is a new post every hour. I guess you are a none fomo typa gal.


Neh. I can tune in to that hotline whenever I want.
I can lock myself out of imamother any time and then get to see those threads.
I can unblock it.

But I am going to meet with anti-vax family soon and I can't be so riled up. I cant.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 5 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic       Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

Related Topics Replies Last Post
I hate making desserts- heres why!
by MMCH
23 Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:48 pm View last post
heres some good that came out of DF 7 Mon, Mar 05 2012, 4:37 pm View last post
curious to hear other opinions heres the story
by amother
6 Wed, Jan 11 2012, 2:50 pm View last post

Jump to: