Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Appropriate sleepwear for yeshivish teen girl
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:56 pm
In general I would say trust teens when they say their friends wear xyz. Whether or not you allow it is really a separate question. I would personally be makpid on street clothing and not makpid on nightwear. They prance around at the pool less covered up than they do at bedtime anyway.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:58 pm
Being hot or sensory really doesn’t have much to do with hashkafa. She just wants to be comfortable while trying to fall asleep. Don’t make an issue out of it.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:26 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Usually this time of the year the lingerie & dry goods stores run ‘camp nightgown’ sales for $15-20

Not for 1XL women size...😞...nothing in Lakewood. Maybe Brooklyn? If someone knows, I'll call the store and have someone buy it for me!

Last edited by groisamomma on Tue, May 21 2019, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:28 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Is she ladies sizes? This nightgown is great and very well priced. The neckline might be a bit too open though it's higher in person than it looks online so maybe worth paying to alter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....;th=1

Thanks so much for trying. The neck is way, way too open and it isn't long enough for her. 🙂. Any other suggestions in 1X or XXL are greatly appreciated. Sorry to derail your thread, OP!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:36 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Thanks so much for trying. The neck is way, way too open and it isn't long enough for her. 🙂. Any other suggestions in 1X or XXL are greatly appreciated. Sorry to derail your thread, OP!!

This?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=est....._0_11

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
This?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=est....._0_11

Thanks. They are all either short sleeved with a very open neck, or an open neck that once I alter it the length of the nightgown will be above her knees. I'm really not being difficult on purpose. I would love to get her the ones from Jewish lingerie stores. Those are perfect for her (those that carry her size), but $50/piece is expensive.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:51 pm
I bought this one. Unfortunately, it's not available anymore. It's also not that comfy- I got it for niddah.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:53 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Thanks. They are all either short sleeved with a very open neck, or an open neck that once I alter it the length of the nightgown will be above her knees. I'm really not being difficult on purpose. I would love to get her the ones from Jewish lingerie stores. Those are perfect for her (those that carry her size), but $50/piece is expensive.

The neckline is too low? Does she have to cover her collarbone while asleep? (I never heard of this: is this a chassidish thing or a yeshivish thing?)

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:54 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I bought this one. Unfortunately, it's not available anymore. It's also not that comfy- I got it for niddah.

Why don’t you want to be comfy during niddah?

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:54 pm
smileforamile wrote:

It's adorable. Unfortunately, these don't come in her size. I once showed her some in her size online and she asked they all had buttons down the front. Very Happy

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:55 pm
pesek zman wrote:
The neckline is too low? Does she have to cover her collarbone while asleep? (I never heard of this: is this a chassidish thing or a yeshivish thing?)

Some people are more careful with their tznius even when they're sleeping.

Others just simply want pajamas that they can work around the house in and be around their brothers without having to cover up.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:56 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why don’t you want to be comfy during niddah?

I didn't mean that. My DH likes how I look in nightgowns better than pants (he has some thing against women in pants). So I got the nightgown to make him happy. But it's not comfy, so I don't really wear it... I'm back to my old comfy t-shirt and pants.

aliavi

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:07 pm
groisamomma wrote:
YES!!!!!

I have posted about this numerous times!

DD likes to wear long-sleeved nightgowns with crew necks that cover her collarbone. The only ones I found are somewhere around $50 in the Lingerie Shop. It's absolutely outrageous. Teen girls need several nightgowns and I don't even spend that much on her regular clothes!

As for shopping online, she's chunky and I hardly have luck shopping online for her. Some people posted links here (thank you!) and I've spent hours online shopping, ordering, and returning. Most are paper thin and look gross and transparent, and those we bought on Shein.com were one size too small but they wouldn't let us exchange because they don't take back sleepwear. So frustrating!

I'm about to give up and make her wear t-shirts and leggings although she really wants nightgowns. Mind you, I think she's the only kid in her bunk in a nightgown but I'd totally buy it if it was reasonably priced. $50 range for sleepwear is outrageous.

I’ve been able to get the long sleeved t-shirt dresses, but I’m not sure if that would work for “chunky” or your DDs height. Old Navy had last week on sale for less than $10. I got a small, tall and it’s crew neck cotton, long sleeved, and to the knees. Amazon may have t-shirt dresses that work. Cute and stylish but not shorts, tank, or pants. I spend on nightgowns though, because I prefer that.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:12 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Nope, she doesn't HAVE to do any of it. Her sisters sleep in shorts and tees. So do I. She wants to, and I'm certainly not going to stand in her way! There are many parents that would love to have this "problem," so I'm trying not to complain but the cost is astronomical.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:14 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Some people are more careful with their tznius even when they're sleeping.

Others just simply want pajamas that they can work around the house in and be around their brothers without having to cover up.

Yep, she says her shirt rides up when she sleeps. She's a sloppy sleeper and wants to be sure she's not exposed while sleeping.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:16 pm
aliavi wrote:
I’ve been able to get the long sleeved t-shirt dresses, but I’m not sure if that would work for “chunky” or your DDs height. Old Navy had last week on sale for less than $10. I got a small, tall and it’s crew neck cotton, long sleeved, and to the knees. Amazon may have t-shirt dresses that work. Cute and stylish but not shorts, tank, or pants. I spend on nightgowns though, because I prefer that.

Are you able to post the Amazon link? She doesn't fit into Old Navy's XL anymore. Thank you!

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:20 pm
smileforamile wrote:
The idea that Hashem is everywhere is more of a Chassidish idea. The basic understanding of מלא כל הארץ כבודו is that Hashem created this world for His כבוד. I don't think this needs to come up when discussing pajamas.

You need to strike a balance with teenagers. This just hits that side of the balance that should say "let it go." The line would be walking out of her room in the skimpy pajamas.

I don't want to argue but... isn't it in the shulchan aruch? Shevisi Hashem linegdi samid. I'm really not understanding this thread. I only have big boys and I don't let them (rather my husband doesn't let them) wear whatever they want. Tznius has nothing to do with whether men are around or not, and even applies to men too.

naomi2

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:29 pm
I would find out the camp sleepwear rules as another poster said. Then let her wear whatever she wants to within that framework. Pick your battles, this should not be one of them. Being frum can be very stifling . I think its important to give in as much as possible to maintain an overall positive feeling about yiddishkeit.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:35 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I would find out the camp sleepwear rules as another poster said. Then let her wear whatever she wants to within that framework. Pick your battles, this should not be one of them. Being frum can be very stifling . I think its important to give in as much as possible to maintain an overall positive feeling about yiddishkeit.

I would find out from other girls who go to that camp what the other girls actually wear. A lot of times the rules aren't enforced.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:39 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't want to argue but... isn't it in the shulchan aruch? Shevisi Hashem linegdi samid. I'm really not understanding this thread. I only have big boys and I don't let them (rather my husband doesn't let them) wear whatever they want. Tznius has nothing to do with whether men are around or not, and even applies to men too.

It doesn't mean that Hashem is literally there. It means that Hashem sees what you are doing- like עין רואה ואוזן שומעת וכל מעשיך בספר נכתבים. That does not mean that you need to be uncomfortable with what you wear when you go to sleep.

It's a sensitivity to be more careful, but it's definitely not required.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics