Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tenant (BP private house) says hes not paying rent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:19 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes I’m serious. I also said upthread not to take tenants for this reason. Thats bad business. Here’s a thought. Buy what you can afford on your own.

Do you have a mortgage or have car payments? Is there anything you do when you can't fully fund it?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:22 am
Squishy wrote:
There's already a housing shortage. You don't want to remove more units from the housing stock. That doesn't help anyone.

Watergirl, what you are saying is don't get married, then you won't have SB problems. It's a choice.

Don't have a job, you won't have boss problems. It's a choice.

Don't freelance, you won't have problems with customers paying. It's a choice.

We live in a society. Some people work. Some people are landlords. Some people are married. This is how societies work. You can't excuse horrible behavior by saying those in a lawful roll choose to provide a needed service.

Yup! Spot on. All are choices. The point is to take ownership of the fallout.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:25 am
Squishy wrote:
Do you have a mortgage or have car payments? Is there anything you do when you can't fully fund it?

No car payments. We have a mortgage and we chose the house that we could afford. I don't buy what I cant afford. Do banks give people mortgages or car places give loans if you don't Have a way to pay for it? How would anybody get a little one unless they can prove they could pay?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:30 am
I think that OP needs to tell us how many months this tenant is not paying his rent. He was a law abiding tenant paying individual up till how long ago?
I also think that being a landlord is a responsibility.
Did OP fulfill all of her obligations to the tenant? Maybe the tenant tried other ways to get things repaired and not paying the rent is the only recourse. Maybe the tenant really is going thru hard times and can't pay the rent. Maybe maybe maybe...
We have no clue about the surrounding details. However, we do know the attitude that seeps thru here.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:31 am
watergirl wrote:
Yup! Spot on. All are choices. The point is to take ownership of the fallout.

So if a police officer or firefighter dyes in the line of duty, there’s no sympathy for them or there families at all? After all they and probably their families made the choice of a profession that can lead to death. So their families have to just deal with the fallout. Nice.

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:32 am
watergirl wrote:
No car payments. We have a mortgage and we chose the house that we could afford. I don't buy what I cant afford. Do banks give people mortgages or car places give loans if you don't Have a way to pay for it? How would anybody get a little one unless they can prove they could pay?

Obviously you couldn't afford your house. You needed a bank to loan you money. That's not affording your house. That's affording a payment each month. You need help to pay for your dwelling. It's hypocritical to put down landlords who use income from a rental.

You are too harsh on Landlords.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:33 am
watergirl wrote:
Yup. I get it 100%.

Don't take tenants and this wont be a problem.

You’re being sympathetic to those who rob a Mom-and-Pop store, by saying that by choosing to open a store, the owners are allowing others to steal from them and therefore, Bais Din and court should support the thieves.

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:34 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I think that OP needs to tell us how many months this tenant is not paying his rent. He was a law abiding tenant paying individual up till how long ago?
I also think that being a landlord is a responsibility.
Did OP fulfill all of her obligations to the tenant? Maybe the tenant tried other ways to get things repaired and not paying the rent is the only recourse. Maybe the tenant really is going thru hard times and can't pay the rent. Maybe maybe maybe...
We have no clue about the surrounding details. However, we do know the attitude that seeps thru here.

Or maybe he wants air conditioning that he is not entiled to.

Maybe he wants extra storage that he is not entitled to.

Maybe he wants to yell and scream and belittle OP.

ETA that I changed heat to air conditioning. That's what comes from multitasking. Tenants are entiled to heat.

Last edited by 33055 on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:50 am
Squishy wrote:
Obviously you couldn't afford your house. You needed a bank to loan you money. That's not affording your house. That's affording a payment each month. You need help to pay for your dwelling. It's hypocritical to put down landlords who use income from a rental.

You are too harsh on Landlords.

No, and I think you know that. I can afford my monthly mortgage without taking a tenant.

Please tell me what bank will give a mortgage to someone who cant afford the monthly payment without a tenant?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
You’re being sympathetic to those who rob a Mom-and-Pop store, by saying that by choosing to open a store, the owners are allowing others to steal from them and therefore, Bais Din and court should support the thieves.

Thats what I said? Funny.
ETA - the owner has to be prepared to press charges, even if its annoying. Who is allowing anything?

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:52 am
Im going off on a tangent here.

At the end of the day, were all in this together, landlords and tenants , landlords having kids who get married with no "CHESHBON", no preparation for supporting their large families (despite parents best intentions by asking their kids to not follow their Yeshiva's advice and to get an education before they get married), and tenants who are those kids.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:52 am
egam wrote:
So if a police officer or firefighter dyes in the line of duty, there’s no sympathy for them or there families at all? After all they and probably their families made the choice of a profession that can lead to death. So their families have to just deal with the fallout. Nice.

Nope. Nice strawman though.

This is about someone deciding to take a tenant and then crying about how hard it is to evict. Thats literally part of the job when it needs to be.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:56 am
I find it really interesting how threads pan out here.
Some posters are die hard landlords.
Some posters are sympathetic tenants.
Some posters that are chassidish bashers and are quick to point out acheinu bnei yisroel's flaws and nitpick over every possible thing.
Some posters that hearts bleed for a cleaning lady that was called a [cleaner], or they decry the fact that someone didn't give their cleaning help a five course meal or actually asked them to do a better job on their toilets.
I wonder if some perpetrators of certain wrong doings are the ones that call out others on the same things or even worse.
Just my musings for today.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
No, and I think you know that. I can afford my monthly mortgage without taking a tenant.

Please tell me what bank will give a mortgage to someone who cant afford the monthly payment without a tenant?

Banks give small business loans all the time in the basis of projected income. Rent is a legitimate projected income.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:06 pm
watergirl wrote:
Nope. Nice strawman though.

This is about someone deciding to take a tenant and then crying about how hard it is to evict. Thats literally part of the job when it needs to be.

You saying that everything is a choice was to Squishy’s post that didn’t mention a word tenant or landlord. So no straw man here. Just going with the flow.
It’s also a choice of being nice to people which some posters here choose not to make.

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:06 pm
watergirl wrote:

Watergirl,

I mean this in the nicest way possible since I like you very much, but I think you may lack knowledge of finance. Many banks will insist on signed leases from tenants.

Do you think all the real estate is bought by cash? Or purchases are based solely on the owners income and no other source of money are included in the calculations?

Using income from tenants is a perfectly legitimate way to calculate what a mortgagor can afford monthly.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:09 pm
watergirl wrote:
Thats what I said? Funny.
ETA - the owner has to be prepared to press charges, even if its annoying. Who is allowing anything?

The Batei Din and the courts allow tenants to take advantage of landlords by allowing them (nearly) unlimited delays (without holding the rent in escrow), thereby allowing tenants to live rent feee for a year or more at the landlord’s expense. Nobody is complaining about engaging in a process the complaint is about a system that is unfairly stacked against the landlord and assists unscrupulous tenants in taking unfair advantage.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:10 pm
Squishy wrote:
Watergirl,

I mean this in the nicest way possible since I like you very much, but I think you may lack knowledge of finance. Many banks will insist on signed leases from tenants.

Do you think all the real estate is bought by cash? Or purchases are based solely on the owners income and no other source of money are included in the calculations?

Using income from tenants is a perfectly legitimate way to calculate what a mortgagor can afford monthly.

Ok.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
I called the tenant a sleaze ball. I don't like the way he behaves towards OP and his wife.

If the choices are not getting your rent money or telling mommy and getting your money, I opt for telling mommy. The debtor is not behaving like an adult.

Truthfully, we don't know how long OP and the other person can afford to carry these non- paying tenants.

The section 8 tennant is not OPs tennant.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:21 pm
Squishy wrote:
That tenant and landlord are not stealing from you. No question it's fruad. But you don't have a right to that voucher. You may qualify for that voucher, but you don't have a right to it.

I am a tax payer. If my government is providing housing assistance to someone who doesn't qualify, rather than provide it to me who does - its stealing.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries