Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tenant (BP private house) says hes not paying rent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Not anymore.
Prices are not what they used to be.
I live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo and 2400 is the going market rental price in my building.

Are you saying if I go through apartments advertised in the Jewish Press, and other papers, Ill find a lot of 3 bedroom apartments in the heart of BP, in good condition, for $2400?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:07 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
When we rented our house a rabbi told ask to be carful some frum families just stop paying the rent.

You are being motzee shem rah on an entire people. I'd be scared of doing that if I were you. I forgot something here, the sheriffs just had their jobs created for frum non rent paying tenants.

Last edited by ShishKabob on Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I had a similar situation where my section 8 tenant wasn’t paying his portion claiming he was out of a job and didn’t have. I called his mom (my tenant is 46) and told her that if she didn’t find somebody to pay the money they owed and the monthly portion I would start eviction. The parents paid up and send us a monthly check of $485. And she won’t look at me when she sees me

I don't blame her

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:14 pm
I find it really strange that you come here ranting about your non paying tenant. And you don't stop there, you identify their type, by religion, profession, family size and so on.
Are you hiring any of the wonderful lawyers here for service? Or are you trying to get free legal advice?

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:18 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I had a similar situation where my section 8 tenant wasn’t paying his portion claiming he was out of a job and didn’t have. I called his mom (my tenant is 46) and told her that if she didn’t find somebody to pay the money they owed and the monthly portion I would start eviction. The parents paid up and send us a monthly check of $485. And she won’t look at me when she sees me

What world is this? I dont understand. This is section 8. You have real recourse to take. I'm pretty sure there were better ways to deal with this than contact the mother who has nothing to do with it. Call the tenants case manager. Deal with the agency. If the tenant is 46, the mother is over 70. Why bother an elderly woman with this? Its none of her business! Why take on a section 8 tenant and then not follow protocol? If the tenant does not pay, their lease is broken. If they are evicted, they lose their voucher. Considering how hard it is to get the voucher in the first place and how long the waiting list is (YEARS!), voucher holders do NOT want to risk it. I cant understand why you would avoid the proper channels.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:20 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I find it really strange that you come here ranting about your non paying tenant. And you don't stop there, you identify their type, by religion, profession, family size and so on.
Are you hiring any of the wonderful lawyers here for service? Or are you trying to get free legal advice?

This. We all know that this person lives in the heart of BP, has 5 kids, is a rebbe, has an upstairs 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 porches, has not moved in 10 years... are you trying to get someone to figure out who they are?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you saying if I go through apartments advertised in the Jewish Press, and other papers, Ill find a lot of 3 bedroom apartments in the heart of BP, in good condition, for $2400?

Yes
From the tone of your posts it seems like you don’t like this family.
You’re making it very personal when it doesn’t have to be.

A family on a limited income is stretching itself thin to pay $2400 in rent.
They feel entitled to working a/c.
You as the landlord don’t feel obligated to improve the cooling in the house.
I see two sides of a story here.
I feel like you can avoid turning this into a war and go to a Rav or BD for mediation.
Good luck

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:02 pm
What do you want to accomplish?

Do you want to have them evicted? If so, consult an attorney because the laws of NYC are quite tricky and you want to make sure you act correctly.

Even if you don't want to get them evicted, I would suggest that you consult an attorney and get your legal relationship properly documented so that there is no on-going confusion in the future.

At this point, it is impossible to understand what it is you want to do and what exactly the rights are of the respective parties.

As a general rule, there is no right to air conditioning in a New York City apartment unless A/C was part of the lease agreement and then it becomes part of the deal. Of course, the issue then becomes whether the A/C is working properly because the tenant might want it to be unreasonably cool - who knows?

Also the fact that there was a lease is relevant, because a court would look to the terms of the original lease to determine rights of the parties.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Yes
From the tone of your posts it seems like you don’t like this family.
You’re making it very personal when it doesn’t have to be.

A family on a limited income is stretching itself thin to pay $2400 in rent.
They feel entitled to working a/c.
You as the landlord don’t feel obligated to improve the cooling in the house.
I see two sides of a story here.
I feel like you can avoid turning this into a war and go to a Rav or BD for mediation.
Good luck

It's personal. The tenant feels entitled to yell at OP in her house. That's as personal as it gets. The tenant feels entitled to not paying OP his rent. That's personal. The tenant feels entiled to leave his junk in her basement and on her steps or wherever else OP said this is ALL PERSONAL. IT'S HER HOME.

OP should get this family out if her home. Ten years is long enough to bang her head against a block head.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:17 pm
watergirl wrote:
What world is this? I dont understand. This is section 8. You have real recourse to take. I'm pretty sure there were better ways to deal with this than contact the mother who has nothing to do with it. Call the tenants case manager. Deal with the agency. If the tenant is 46, the mother is over 70. Why bother an elderly woman with this? Its none of her business! Why take on a section 8 tenant and then not follow protocol? If the tenant does not pay, their lease is broken. If they are evicted, they lose their voucher. Considering how hard it is to get the voucher in the first place and how long the waiting list is (YEARS!), voucher holders do NOT want to risk it. I cant understand why you would avoid the proper channels.

There is a lot of unoffical side deals with section 8.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:33 pm
Good luck trying to get them out- the process is long tedious and costly.
People that refuse to pay rent but daven 3 times a day and eat kosher are HUGE HYPOCRITES.

Not paying rent is STEALING- unless they are living in squalor...

Shame on this family.

I wish you a lot of luck. It took my sister nearly TWO YEARS to get rid of a female tenant who just decided not to pay rent anymore. She was pretty "smart" because she managed to live RENT FREE for nearly two years in the heart pf Monsey.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:34 pm
Squishy wrote:
There is a lot of unoffical side deals with section 8.

I bet. Doesn't make it ok.

And I’m adding, what and I’m adding, what you call a side deal is essentially stealing. Approaching the mother is unethical. And bragging about it on this site is bizarre.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 3:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
I bet. Doesn't make it ok.

And I’m adding, what and I’m adding, what you call a side deal is essentially stealing. Approaching the mother is unethical. And bragging about it on this site is bizarre.

I have never been a section 8 landlord nor a section 8 tenant. Who is the side deal stealing from? This is a serious question.

Let's say a LL owns a brand new building. If he rents to section 8 tenants without the side deal, he will only get half the market rent. No reasonable LL would rent to section 8 tenants without the side deal. The tenants won't get a beautiful new home to live in without coming up with money.

LL can rent to hipsters for $4000 a month. Jews can pay that. LL can rent to Jewish family for $2000 from section 8 and $2000 cash.

I can see the fruad, but where is the stealing with the extra money? This is a serious question. BTW, I know non-Jews who do this also. They can't rent their apartment st the section 8 amount without losing money.

I don't think approaching the parents is unethical, it is a bigger ethical violation to be a sleaze ball and not pay your rent.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:21 pm
Squishy wrote:
I have never been a section 8 landlord nor a section 8 tenant. Who is the side deal stealing from? This is a serious question.

Let's say a LL owns a brand new building. If he rents to section 8 tenants without the side deal, he will only get half the market rent. No reasonable LL would rent to section 8 tenants without the side deal. The tenants won't get a beautiful new home to live in without coming up with money.

LL can rent to hipsters for $4000 a month. Jews can pay that. LL can rent to Jewish family for $2000 from section 8 and $2000 cash.

I can see the fruad, but where is the stealing with the extra money? This is a serious question. BTW, I know non-Jews who do this also. They can't rent their apartment st the section 8 amount without losing money.

I don't think approaching the parents is unethical, it is a bigger ethical violation to be a sleaze ball and not pay your rent.

Stealing from me. I'm waiting for a section 8 voucher. I have a right to that voucher. I'm not getting one because people who don't have rights to them are taking them. They can afford housing, I cannot.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:35 pm
Squishy wrote:

If this is an ethics competition - both are unethical. (where was the tenant described as a sleaze ball?)

Calling an adult person's mother to ask for rent money is not the right thing to do.

Following Section 8 protocol - is the right thing to do.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:47 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Stealing from me. I'm waiting for a section 8 voucher. I have a right to that voucher. I'm not getting one because people who don't have rights to them are taking them. They can afford housing, I cannot.

That tenant and landlord are not stealing from you. No question it's fruad. But you don't have a right to that voucher. You may qualify for that voucher, but you don't have a right to it.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
If this is an ethics competition - both are unethical. (where was the tenant described as a sleaze ball?)

Calling an adult person's mother to ask for rent money is not the right thing to do.

Following Section 8 protocol - is the right thing to do.

I called the tenant a sleaze ball. I don't like the way he behaves towards OP and his wife.

If the choices are not getting your rent money or telling mommy and getting your money, I opt for telling mommy. The debtor is not behaving like an adult.

Truthfully, we don't know how long OP and the other person can afford to carry these non- paying tenants.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
I called the tenant a sleaze ball. I don't like the way he behaves towards OP and his wife.

If the choices are not getting your rent money or telling mommy and getting your money, I opt for telling mommy. The debtor is not behaving like an adult.

Truthfully, we don't know how long OP and the other person can afford to carry these non- paying tenants.

I seriously don't understand why op is insisting on keeping these tenants. There must be a reason she's keeping obnoxious tenants whom she claims are paying below market rate, but she won't say what it is. I would start the eviction process (with legal advice) in a new york minute.

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:21 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I seriously don't understand why op is insisting on keeping these tenants. There must be a reason she's keeping obnoxious tenants whom she claims are paying below market rate, but she won't say what it is. I would start the eviction process (with legal advice) in a new york minute.

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't feel safe having a volatile person near my kids. No reason for them (or OP) to be subject to his abusive behavior.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You keep saying they are not paying market value, but they got the apartment ten years ago when they did pay market value and you probably raised them since.

You can’t expect a tenant of ten years to be paying market value To this date.
Unless you want to kick out your tenants every 2 years when the market value jumps up.

That’s the way it works in BP, you can have 2 ppl in exact same apartments with exact same landlord but the one that’s there longer will be paying less.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries