Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Great comebacks you thought of too late
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:39 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I am fitness trainer and very athletic. a client once asked me why I still have fat on my body if I work out so much.
I kid you not....
I am still trying to formulate a good response to that because at the time I was dumbstruck.

To show some solidarity for my clients?

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:50 am
I confided to a relative that I was having a hard time emotionally after the birth of my baby because buried pain from the loss of a prior infant was coming to the surface.
I thought she could commiserate since her daughter had also suffered a similar loss.

Instead of showing empathy, she responded by explaining why her daughter’s loss was greater than mine.

I kept quiet.
In retrospect, I wish I would have responded by answering that I didn’t realize it was a competition.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:02 pm
My mil told me that my 8 month old might be autistic because she liked to watch the washing machine spin.

I was speechless and horrified that someone would say that.

Anyone have a good comeback that I can imagine in my head.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:10 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My mil told me that my 8 month old might be autistic because she liked to watch the washing machine spin.

Give the baby some scientific journals to "read" and say she must be a savant.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:13 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
On an airplane with my infant daughter, the lady in front of me turned to the woman next to her and said, “oh great, we’re in front of a baby.”

Someone told me afterwards that I should have said to my daughter, “oh great, and we’re behind one, too.”

My parents once flew with a little baby, and they heard a similar comment from the elderly couple behind them. "Oh great, we're sitting behind the baby!"

The baby was actually perfectly well behaved. But my father said that every time either of the couple stood up during the (long, international) flight, they held onto the seats in front of them. He was dying to turn and say, "Oh great, we're sitting in front of the old people!"

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

"Takes one to know one!" 😂

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:16 pm
jerusalem90 wrote:
"Takes one to know one!" 😂

No, it is very bigoted toward actual autistic people when you use "autistic" as an insult.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:10 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

I can't believe someone would say that!
Does she often make clueless/insulting remarks?
Is this because they've been throwing around that diagnosis so frequently, that people have gotten brainwashed?
You could say - that's an extremely ignorant thing to say. This is typical behavior for a baby.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I can't believe someone would say that!
Does she often make clueless/insulting remarks?
Is this because they've been throwing around that diagnosis so frequently, that people have gotten brainwashed?
You could say - that's an extremely ignorant thing to say. This is typical behavior for a baby.

Yes but she says it in a such a confident way, that you start to actually believe it.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:42 pm
I love this tread! I am the queen of belated comeback lines. The only one that comes to my mind right now is not one that I'm willing to share. But I will be checking back here.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:43 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Yes but she says it in a such a confident way, that you start to actually believe it.

Please don't. My baby would love to stare at clothes spinning.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:46 pm
A single friend, who happens to be a lawyer, attended a frum singles event. Some guy she had just met tried to impress her by telling her he's an attorney and he bills at $400 an hour. She did not tell him she's also an attorney. Instead, she looked him in the eye and said, So do I [bill at $400 an hour]
Silence.
Then she asked, Why does it sound different when I say it?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Please don't. My baby would love to stare at clothes spinning.

Oh I don’t. She long outgrew her interest in clothes spinning as is onto bigger and better things.

But at the time, even though I knew it wasn’t true, in the corner of my mind, I thought maybe she’s right.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:01 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
A single friend, who happens to be a lawyer, attended a frum singles event. Some guy she had just met tried to impress her by telling her he's an attorney and he bills at $400 an hour. She did not tell him she's also an attorney. Instead, she looked him in the eye and said, So do I [bill at $400 an hour]
Silence.
Then she asked, Why does it sound different when I say it?

LOL LOL

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:46 pm
I’m Bh pregnant and someone asked me casually “ oh we’re you trying a long time ? I was speechless but should have said “ the night I got pregnant I was trying “

dovebird

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:00 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I am fitness trainer and very athletic. a client once asked me why I still have fat on my body if I work out so much.
I kid you not....
I am still trying to formulate a good response to that because at the time I was dumbstruck.

“Same reason your tongue is the same size after talking so much”

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:25 pm
I was once a passenger in a fender bender where someone else hit our car. When the cops came I asked them to run my license because I'm somewhat paranoid. They asked if I was sure I wasn't driving and I said yes. She jokingly said I was. After I realized I should have leaned forward with my hand on my back whimpering "my back! my back!"

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:26 pm
My DD needed a gown for her BIL’s wedding
We went to one store. She tried on a dress but really didn’t like it.
DD said I’ll think about it.
In a snooty way the sales lady said to her that she probably wants to go ask her husband.

I turned around and said “Honey, I don’t know what century you come from that you need to ask your husband, but we come from the 21st century and buy things that we like without having to ask.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:28 pm
My baby got RSV shortly after she was due for her first vaccines. They were delayed at the time. When I took her to the ER and admit she had not yet had her 8 week vaccines I got lectured on how she will have to stay because she is much sicker because she is not vaccinated. I got it first from the resident and told them they know as well as I do that there is no routine vaccine for RSV. I was then horrified to get it from the attending too, and looked him straight in the eye saying that. He kind of mumbled some sort of response and walked off. And then we stayed for several days because she wasn't oxygenating well. From a non vaccine preventable disease.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:37 pm
Not too late, just too stooping to their level/chillul-y, and it was DH who thought of it. I didn't know what the person said as she was speaking French.

In France for the chagim the year I was pregnant with my first, throwing up so much everyone and their brother figured out my "secret" after about five seconds even though I wasn't showing yet. We were doing a quick grocery shopping (aka serious barf trigger!) and DH thankfully noticed a sign over one of the lines indicating it was for the handicapped, elderly, and pregnant. We had to get out asap, so we were really relieved. The elderly lady behind us complained we didn't belong there. DH explained that we did because I was pregnant.

Lady: Maybe she should put a pillow under her shirt if she wants to look pregnant.
DH: (after explaining to me what she said afterwards): It's okay. Maybe she should put a pillow over her face if she doesn't want to look dumb.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics