Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Attack in jerusalem
Previous  1  2  3  Next

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 5:40 am
supermom wrote:
just heard on the news that he punched the guy in the stomach. what was he doing punching an arab in the stomach in the first place? Confused and an arab at that.

supermom, that isn't true.

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 8:40 am
Rivka wrote:

The guy is from London and the brother in law came into my chemist to get passport photos to go to Israel.

just curious, What is a chemist???

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 8:52 am
are you for real?? A chemist is a pharmacy/drug store.

edit: don't mean it rudely, was just truly shocked. I guess maybe it's a cultural thing? Diff names in different countries?

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 12:10 pm
In my part of the world, a chemist means someone who mixes things in a laboratory - someone with an advanced degree in chemistry, not someone that I relate to on a daily basis. We buy our drugs in a drugstore and we save our scientists for more important things!
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all).

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 12:35 pm
Quote:
We buy our drugs in a drugstore and we save our scientists for more important things!

Whats that supposed to mean? You obviously didnt understand my answer to lucky.

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 12:45 pm
hey de_goldy, this isn't rocket science. I know that you know what a chemist is, my post was an explanation of how those of us up in the US use the word.

Smile PEACE Smile

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 2:32 pm
But why would you go to the drugstore for passport photos? Thats what confused me. I dont think any drugstore in the us does passport photos. I thought maybe it meant a photo lab.

supermom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 3:25 pm
1stimer wrote:
supermom wrote:
just heard on the news that he punched the guy in the stomach. what was he doing punching an arab in the stomach in the first place? Confused and an arab at that.

supermom, that isn't true.

What exactly did you hear then? Rolling Eyes

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 4:01 pm
They were walking back from the Kosel and an arab attacked one of the boys, the second boy shouted 'stop attacking my friend' and the arab then turned on him with full force. Meanwhile the 1st boy ran to the police station, when the police came back they found the 2nd boy critically stabbed.

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 5:24 pm
A chemist is a place to go for your prescription medication.
I can't imagine it being called a drug store...I guess sometimes you get the druggies in for their methadone...but they would be in full force if you put up a sign saying Drugstore!
Anyway, a Pharmacist is the one who actually has the degree and can legally give out the medication.
I don't think they call scientists chemists here either...deff a diff language going on in the US.

queen

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 6:27 pm
Pearl wrote:
...........about a stabbing on Rechov David - the shuk leading from Shaar Yaffo (Jaffa Gate) to the Kotel.

Far be it for me to judge, but why was he walking that route?!?!?!?!?
It's a known fact today not to walk around the more arab areas of the old city.

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 4:10 am
everyone walks that way it is faster. you would be surprised to as how many people are walking that way.

queen

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 4:20 pm
it might be faster..... but faster to where?????? the hospital?

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 4:35 pm
lucky wrote:
But why would you go to the drugstore for passport photos? Thats what confused me. I dont think any drugstore in the us does passport photos. I thought maybe it meant a photo lab.

I think CVS does passport photos. and rite-aid and walgreens definitely do photo-processing! our pharmacies have become more than just pharmacies.
p.s. I also learned from imamother that what "they" call a chemist is what "we" call a pharmacist.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 7:39 pm
no - what we call a chemist you call a pharmacy. not a pharmacist. For us a pharmacist works in a chemist.

Mommy912

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 8:30 pm
There is a bit of a language barrier here:
In the US, a chemist is a person : a scientist specializing in chemistry. In the UK (and OZ and I don't know where else) a chemist is a place - a pharmacy. In the US, the word pharmacy is interchangeable with drugstore. In the UK, drugstores seem to be a place where an addict would purchase illegal drugs, while in the US our drugstores are run by friendly pharmacists.
Anybody need a fix?
Fix in the US is slang for a bit of illegal drugs. However, you can also fix a sandwich - named for John Montagu, Fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), British politician - by putting in all kinds of good stuff, and fix your house when it is broken. No idea what it may mean anywhere else. Hope I did a passable job fixing this language mess.

Last edited by Mommy912 on Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total

1stimer

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:03 am
Quote:
In the UK (and OZ and I don't know where else) a chemist is a person who works in a pharmacy.

No no as de_goldy said, a chemist IS a pharmacy.

1stimer

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:05 am
queen wrote:
Pearl wrote:
...........about a stabbing on Rechov David - the shuk leading from Shaar Yaffo (Jaffa Gate) to the Kotel.

Far be it for me to judge, but why was he walking that route?!?!?!?!?
It's a known fact today not to walk around the more arab areas of the old city.

Queen, he was not walking through the arab quarter, if that was your question. He was walking through the armenian quarter, the way everyone walks. I don't know of any other way to walk there. Do you?

Mommy912

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:05 am
I stand corrected, I typed it wrong, I will go fix it.

queen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 8:27 am
1stimer wrote:
Queen, he was not walking through the arab quarter, if that was your question. He was walking through the armenian quarter, the way everyone walks. I don't know of any other way to walk there. Do you?

does EVERYONE still walk this way in today's world? why not enter the gate which buses use?
isn't one's life & safety worth going the extra mile?

(pardon the pun)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics