Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Tragedy in Sahara sams
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

windchime

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:37 am
hot chocolate! wrote:
So so incredibly sad. Im shocked. Horrific tragedy.
Poor parents! I know the family which makes it all that scarier.
Mashiach we are waiting for you ! To come riding on your donkey, and to hear the shofars blast, the sweet sweet peace that will come. . And happiness.everyone will be HEALTHY and HAPPY and it gonna be so good ! Only good. Inside and out.
Please ladies, this tisha ba'v lets bring Him ! He has to come already ! Theres way too much heartbreak for this tiny little world to contain it all.
Hashem should be menachem his parents.

This. One million times over.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:48 am
Angel wrote:
Am trying to figure out:
If 7pm the boys were on the buses heading back, the boy was foud missing, then was it a late night trip or not?

My thoughts are with the family

When my daughter went 2 weeks ago she was home by 9:30. The way also takes time. My daughter had regular day camp until 3:00 and left at 3:00 to the trip. I assume it's cheaper to rent out the whole park when the sun is not shining anymore.

tsc3

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:51 am
nchr wrote:
Very very sad. An unimaginable tragedy for the parents. Generally, however, water parks are safer than pools because they tend to be over staffed and very on top of things. This does not negate the tragedy. I've personally seen some of the most responsible lifeguarding at Kalahari. Obviously you still need to be vigilant about swimming and being around any water. Also keep in mind the diarrhea.

Pools are so dangerous and children in the US pass away all summer from pools, including good swimmers. Someone I know visited someone in the ER a few weeks ago when a hysterical mother in a bathing suit came in with her dead toddler crying inconsolably that her daughter was a good swimmer. So please keep this in mind and talk to your children about safe swimming.

What?

fraimal

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:52 am
creditcards wrote:
When my daughter went 2 weeks ago she was home by 9:30. The way also takes time. My daughter had regular day camp until 3:00 and left at 3:00 to the trip. I assume it's cheaper to rent out the whole park when the sun is not shining anymore.

Most water parks will only rent it out after regular hours which are open for the public. That's why they go so late. It's not for the thrill or shtick. It's only because that's when water parks let them come

nchr

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:53 am
tsc3 wrote:
What?

Multiple strains of diarrhea from viruses are constantly picked up and found at waterparks. I'm surprised you're not aware of that. It's a very common occurence.

tsc3

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:58 am
nchr wrote:
Multiple strains of diarrhea from viruses are constantly picked up and found at waterparks. I'm surprised you're not aware of that. It's a very common occurence.

To be honest I am quite grossed out by public pools. It's like a communal bathtub Puke
But I wasn't aware of that specifically. Also the way u wrote it was like it was discussed before but I didn't see it mentioned while reading the thread.
Also isn't chlorine there for a reason?

yidishmamma

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:00 am
creditcards wrote:

Is she in my daughter Daycamp? They did same thing but she actually got home 10:30 instead of 9:30

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:02 am
yidishmamma wrote:
Is she in my daughter Daycamp? They did same thing but she actually got home 10:30 instead of 9:30

She was home by 9:45 for sure. But I think it was a few days camps together.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:05 am
Thank you 1ofbillions for writing that up! I was able to easily and calmly speak to dc this morning.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:21 am
studying_torah wrote:
It's scary what goes on by trip day. Ds was once lost in an amusement park- because please let 10 yr old boys wander around by themselves.
Thankfully he had the sense to ask a park worker where to go, but he said other kids were lost & didn't ask.

One of my other kids left his drinks on the bus & the staff refused to get him any more - on a 100 degree day on a trip.
Not to mention sitting 2 plus hours on no a/c school buses to get to the trip.
He got home so dehydrated.

Thats horrible and I am sorry to hear that this happened. I hoped you complained about it as it is abuse and/or neglect. Water should not be withheld from anyone and camps should have backup water on the bus for these situations. At the same time, always send your kids with money in their pockets so they can buy a bottle of water at the location in case they leave it behind. Also, these days you can get a cheap prepaid self phone (with an extra charger, portable if possible) that you can send with your kids as well in case they get lost. These are some of the basic survival techniques that I talked about upthread that could help prevent these things from happening.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:25 am
My heart goes out to the family. All I can think about is how tragic this is. I don't know the family but it feels so close to home. May Hashem comfort all klal Yisroel and ONLY shower revealed good and joy on His children. We need Moshiach!!

mirror

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:26 am
studying_torah wrote:
One of my other kids left his drinks on the bus & the staff refused to get him any more - on a 100 degree day on a trip.
Not to mention sitting 2 plus hours on no a/c school buses to get to the trip.
He got home so dehydrated.

This is child abuse, plain and simple. In such a case you would have the right to call the authorities in addition to the director of the camp. Please speak to a Rav regarding what steps you are allowed to take to make sure that this doesn't happen again. You are lucky that your child didn't pass out.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:38 am
How did 700 children and dozens of staff members not see a body under water??

yersp

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:47 am
I heard now from someone whose son was there that the boy tripped over something and hit his head when he fell into the kiddie pool. That's how he ended up in the kiddie pool
All kids saw how he was being worked on and last thing they knew when going home was that he was ok. Guess they didn't want to scare the kids.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:56 am
They're not allowed to bring phones (even for overnight trips) or any money 🙄😬
Though I did tell ds that I will slip him some money for drinks if he needs next trip.
My younger son finished his drinks early (idk how he had like 3 or 4) and also the staff refused to buy him more.

There's no one to talk to really there.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:59 am
My dad taught us never to leave the house without some money. I always took along money to trips even though we were forbidden to go into the shops. But there are always vending machines and many times I needed the extra drink.
Many places have water fountains & you can refill your waterbottles.

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:14 am
studying_torah wrote:
They're not allowed to bring phones (even for overnight trips) or any money 🙄😬
Though I did tell ds that I will slip him some money for drinks if he needs next trip.
My younger son finished his drinks early (idk how he had like 3 or 4) and also the staff refused to buy him more.

There's no one to talk to really there.

Then the counselor should be charged for child abuse for withholding water from a kid.
Send some frozen drinks so that it will thaw out and he can have that later on in the day. And send a reusable water bottle so that he can refill it at the water fountain that they have at these place.
I would also send the money and phone anyway even if they dont allow it especially on an overnight trip. A few dollar bills in his pocket and a phone (programmed to call you, your husband, camp, hatzalah and 911 but otherwise restricted) could save his life and that is more important than following a nonsensical rules if they will have irresponsible and abusive counselors. If they throw him out of camp for having some pocket change and a phone then you are better off for it and you can send him to a camp that cares more about the kids than this camp does.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:31 am
Rr2 wrote:
Boys get dressed near the pool not by the changing rooms like us. My son drew me a diagram of the pool and where he fell. Possibly belz cheder was on the bus when they realized. Nebach

I heard this too. Belz DC was on the bus when they realized he's missing. I don't think we'll ever know the real story. Too many versions going around.

nchr

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:03 am
tsc3 wrote:
To be honest I am quite grossed out by public pools. It's like a communal bathtub Puke
But I wasn't aware of that specifically. Also the way u wrote it was like it was discussed before but I didn't see it mentioned while reading the thread.
Also isn't chlorine there for a reason?

There are plenty of viruses that are not killed by chlorine. One person can contaminate an entire water park/pool area. This is part of the way that polio use to spread like wildfire in the summer through pools. Diarrhea is one of the most common illnesses people can contract from water parks/pools. You can google many shut downs. My kids once got a virus consisting of just a rash for a few days after being in a water park, and our pediatrician explained this is relatively common, as are stomach viruses.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:12 am
naomi2 wrote:
How did 700 children and dozens of staff members not see a body under water??

It was dark??
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics