Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Feeling cheated about Shabbos Nachamu Program
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:02 pm
sky wrote:
If what was promised wasn’t delivered
You are willing to pay a price for what you think you are getting. If what you received was less then what it should have been.
Nothing to do with what the organizers make.

I suppose this comment from OP really bothered me "I also know the people who do this need to make money too, and I'm not saying they shouldn't take a cut, but they should also know what's "standard" in such a program tea room or at a breakfast."

I really got the feeling here weekend away didn't meet the expectations she had - based on what she thinks she is 'standard' for a Shabbos get-a-way.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:19 pm
The program costed over 1000 a couple. Almost anyone I know paid at least 1000 a room. They had 200 rooms to rent. I believe 20 were empty. That's a roughly 180,000 dollar budget to work with. The program is a lot of work to run, but it's over 1 weekend. The cost of the rooms is let's say $200 of that thousand, add another 100 for the rental of all the common utilities. Let's say catered meals per-person was another 150 for the weekend and add 100 dollars in advertisement costs and overhead and speakers. I'm still left with over 500 per room of profit, some of which should have been spent on providing goods and services for the participants.

Taking home $10,000 or 20,000 for a weekend like this is reasonable. Pocketing close to $100,000 is a rip off.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:20 pm
Also, an organizer should not be missing in action when there are issues and nowhere to be found.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The program costed over 1000 a couple. Almost anyone I know paid at least 1000 a room. They had 200 rooms to rent. I believe 20 were empty. That's a roughly 180,000 dollar budget to work with. The program is a lot of work to run, but it's over 1 weekend. The cost of the rooms is let's say $200 of that thousand, add another 100 for the rental of all the common utilities. Let's say catered meals per-person was another 150 for the weekend and add 100 dollars in advertisement costs and overhead and speakers. I'm still left with over 500 per room of profit, some of which should have been spent on providing goods and services for the participants.

Taking home $10,000 or 20,000 for a weekend like this is reasonable. Pocketing close to $100,000 is a rip off.

Rooms were rented for 2 nights not one.
Making $10,000 off such a weekend sounds quite low-it's ALOT of work

I understand why you are upset, I would be too, just wanted to point that out

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It takes a lot more than one weekend to pull one of these programs together. They are working months before and for some time afterward. They also have capital tied up in the venture.

It isn't reasonable to worry how much they make. You don't have a profit share in their business. If they are bad businessmen or good businessmen, it is immaterial to what you are entitled to.

If you think it is so easy to pull one of these weekends together and make $100,000, go right ahead. There's nothing preventing you. Then you can decide what is a lavish meal.

In the alternative, find out beforehand what you are getting and make your decision based on that and what you are paying.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:42 pm
Squishy wrote:
It takes a lot more than one weekend to pull one of these programs together. They are working months before and for some time afterward. They also have capital tied up in the venture.

It isn't reasonable to worry how much they make. You don't have a profit share in their business. If they are bad businessmen or good businessmen, it is immaterial to what you are entitled to.

If you think it is so easy to pull one of these weekends together and make $100,000, go right ahead. There's nothing preventing you. Then you can decide what is a lavish meal.

In the alternative, find out beforehand what you are getting and make your decision based on that and what you are paying.

Agreed.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:21 pm
Squishy wrote:

I disagree fully with this.

When I purchase a service I expect owners make a reasonable profit margin.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Your catering costs are way off.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:44 pm
The amount you mention to cover catering costs- this amount you pay for just catering 2 shabbos meals at a preowned kosher hall & kitchen with equipment there.

You are talking at least 8 meals over weekend.
kitchen needs to be kashered. All kosher equipment needs to be transferred or kasher the hotel's. All ingredients & supplies need to be transferred. A mashgiach needs ro paid to oversee it, that's even before any cooking starts

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:45 pm
OP, you said the organizer is a tall guy in a hat. Chassidim wear a shtreimel on shabbos. (Unless the hat was before/after shabbos.)
Was it a chassidish crowd?
There's one program that's known that they rip people off.

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:51 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I disagree fully with this.

When I purchase a service I expect owners make a reasonable profit margin.

That's naive. It's not the way the capitalism works. Shabbos Getaways aren't heavily regulated utilities.

If they are bad businessmen who bid wrong for the job, are you going to increase what you are paying them, so they can make a reasonable profit? Can they then give you less food? And what is a reasonable profit?

It's childish to think you have control on what the people running these programs should earn.

What is more reasonable is that if these people running these weekends are making $100,000 a weekend, then others will start planning their weekends, and competition will drive down the price or increase the quality.

Perhaps you should not go on these weekends if it is going to bother so much.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's naive. It's not the way the capitalism works. Shabbos Getaways aren't heavily regulated utilities.

If they are bad businessmen who bid wrong for the job, are you going to increase what you are paying them, so they can make a reasonable profit? Can they then give you less food? And what is a reasonable profit?

It's childish to think you have control on what the people running these programs should earn.

What is more reasonable is that if these people running these weekends are making $100,000 a weekend, then others will start planning their weekends, and competition will drive down the price or increase the quality.

Perhaps you should not go on these weekends if it is going to bother so much.

I'm not naive. Nor am I childish, nor do I think I have control over what the people running these profits should earn.

I don't go on these weekends.

30%. That's my reasonable.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:54 pm
It's also a very risky undertaking. Things can go wrong and they'd lose the entire investment.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I personally knew I would not get a lavish program for paying around $850 a couple. But I was not expecting to be served out of paper goods Friday night. And I would think they would have enough cold cuts for all their guests and shalosh seudos enough for everyone that paid. I don’t think you have to come to grab your food before nothing will be left.
You definitely can not serve high end meals for $850.00 a couple but the basics should be served nicely.

Do you seriously expect people to buy china or reusable dishes for a one weekend event?! Unless they are using a hotel that's kosher all year that would be a huge expense for the caterer. I would be upset if it was the cheapest paper plates but as long as it's nice and shabbosdik then who cares about being served on disposables?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:01 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Do you seriously expect people to buy china or reusable dishes for a one weekend event?! Unless they are using a hotel that's kosher all year that would be a huge expense for the caterer. I would be upset if it was the cheapest paper plates but as long as it's nice and shabbosdik then who cares about being served on disposables?

I care.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:04 pm
on plastic you are at least guaranteed that theyre clean

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:07 pm
I think we have a solution then; a rating system for these programs by unbiased people. Unfortunately, there is no price transparency in most of these programs, nor is there a detailed list of foods served besides the owner's description. Therein lies the problem. Yes, it is an unregulated industry.

Price should be proportional to the service level provided. Here, it seems we grossly overpaid. The nice program was $975 or so per couple plus tax. We paid over 1,000 for a very junky program.

Not sure why the owner wore a hat, but I believe he is Chassidish.

momsrus

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:07 pm
dankbar wrote:
on plastic you are at least guaranteed that theyre clean

Absolutely prefer plastic-it's clean!

Sebastian

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:10 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I care.

so stay home

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think we have a solution then; a rating system for these programs by unbiased people. Unfortunately, there is no price transparency in most of these programs, nor is there a detailed list of foods served besides the owner's description. Therein lies the problem. Yes, it is an unregulated industry.

Price should be proportional to the service level provided. Here, it seems we grossly overpaid. The nice program was $975 or so per couple plus tax. We paid over 1,000 for a very junky program.

Not sure why the owner wore a hat, but I believe he is Chassidish.

Your program didn't sound junky.

If what was important to you was the menu and tea room supplies - you could ask very detailed questions up front - and if you don't like what you hear - don't go.
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics