Home

Are any of the Democratic candidates good for Israel?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

STMommy

Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 1:22 pm
DH was watching the debate last night and it got me wondering. Are any of the Democratic candidates good for Israel? Like, Trump-level friends of Israel?
I think Trump is, as a person, loathsome, I literally can't stand to watch him or hear him talk he's that repulsive, but on Israel he's my rockstar and I will choke down the vomit and vote for him if the Democratic candidate won't do for Israel what Trump has done.
So do any of the Democrats even come close?

BatyaEsther

Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 1:25 pm
I wouldn't count on it.

doctorima

Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:48 pm
Nope, none of them could hold a candle to Trump on Israel, and many of them make Obama look like an ardent Zionist by comparison. Today's Democratic party is very pro-Arab and hates Bibi, and the more to the left they are, the stronger their opposition.

Amarante

Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:55 pm
Any of them are better than Trump because by politicizing support for Israel, Trump has caused long term negative impact on support for Israel in the US. I view Trump's actions in the Middle East as causing a lot of harm.

There really is almost no difference in support for Israel between Democrats and Republicans as every administration has supported Israel. It's just a chimera to scare people. Do people really think Biden, Warren or Sanders are suddenly going to change the almost 70 years of US policy. What specific aspects of their policy make people think they are anti-Israel and don't point to a few fringe elements in the Party because that is more than compensated by the Anti-Semites and white nationalists who support Trump.

itsmeima

Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 4:07 pm
STMommy wrote:
...Trump-level friends of Israel?

...I think Trump is, as a person, loathsome, I literally can't stand to watch him or hear him talk he's that repulsive, but on Israel he's my rockstar and I will choke down the vomit and vote for him if the Democratic candidate won't do for Israel what Trump has done.

Jeanette wrote:
Trump is so great for Israel! He appointed Nicki Haley!
Haley steps down and nobody replaces her. Nobody notices.
Trump is so great! He appointed John Bolton, such a strong friend of Israel!
Trump fires Bolton. I guess Bolton was bad for Israel all along?
Trump is great for Israel! He pulled out of the disastrous Iran deal!
Now Trump is running after Rouhani begging for an even worse deal.
Trump is so great! He stands up to terrorists!
Trump invites Taliban to Camp David on 9-11 and then fires his NSC for torpedoing that plan.

PinkFridge

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:05 am
I wasn't able to watch/listen to the debates. Was their any discussion on the middle east?

doctorima

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:03 am
Nope, not a word. They did have a segment on foreign affairs and a lengthy debate regarding Trump's tarrifs on China, but I didn't hear a word about Israel, and don't believe anything was discussed about Iran or the Middle East in general.

JoyInTheMorning

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:50 am
I think Biden, Booker, and Harris are all strong supporters of Israel. I think Warren has a very strong track record on Israel, but I'm a bit worried about some of her recent staff hires. She may very well be the nominee, or at least the VP candidate, so I think it behooves Jewish Democratic leaders to lean in and talk to her. I think she's a reasonable, smart person and will ultimately be a strong friend of Israel.

I don't know enough about Buttigieg or O'Rourke to judge. As local politicians, they really haven't left much of a trail in this regard. I don't see them winning the nomination, so I'm not doing major research on them at this point. But if Biden or Warren wins the nomination, I think he or she may choose O'Rourke as candidate for VP.

Whoever winds up being the candidate, the pro-Israel community would be wise not to alienate them, but instead to meet with them and lobby them. The frum community's power with respect to the 2020 election is fairly limited except for in Florida, which is a purple state. (I expect it to go red, whoever wins the election, but whatever happens, it's likely that Jews will tip the election. Perhaps not, if they split their vote.) In line with what Amarante said above, there has been strong bipartisan support for Israel for over 50 years. What is important is keeping that in place, not in destroying this bipartisan support in some deluded belief that Trump and his cronies will be in power for ever.

As I've said in previous posts, I in any case don't believe that Trump is good for Israel. Just because he says he's the best friend Israel has ever had doesn't make it true. But even if it were true, the president is only one part of the piece of any strategy to keep American support for Israel high.

#BestBubby

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 11:10 am
Trump did not destroy bi-partisan support for Israel.

Democrats have long been more pro-islam than pro-israel.

Pres. Carter (1976) is considered to be an anti-israel president.

Pres. Clinton was considered good for Israel but Hillary was Pro-Palestinian
even in college.

Pres. Obama considered to be anti-israel, pro-islam president.

In 2016, Democrats removed support for Israel from its platform.

The Democrat base is growing more anti-semitic and has recently elected four
anti-semitic congresswomen who support BDS to destroy Israel. The Democrat Party refused to directly censure anti-semitic comments these congresswomen have made.

Of course, Democrats blame Trump for everything, but it is a lie. The Democrats have
long been moving away from support for Israel - and it has gotten much worse.

I feel it is very wrong for frum Jews to vote Democrat in NATIONAL elections because
it endangers Israel (among other reasons).

PinkFridge

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:40 pm
doctorima wrote:
Nope, not a word. They did have a segment on foreign affairs and a lengthy debate regarding Trump's tarrifs on China, but I didn't hear a word about Israel, and don't believe anything was discussed about Iran or the Middle East in general.

Thanks.

Cheiny

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:47 pm
STMommy wrote:
DH was watching the debate last night and it got me wondering. Are any of the Democratic candidates good for Israel? Like, Trump-level friends of Israel?
I think Trump is, as a person, loathsome, I literally can't stand to watch him or hear him talk he's that repulsive, but on Israel he's my rockstar and I will choke down the vomit and vote for him if the Democratic candidate won't do for Israel what Trump has done.

Unfortunately not. Warren, Sanders, and several others have said they’d probably move the embassy back, Sanders is absolutely and unapologetically pro-Palestinian and sounds like an enemy of Israel if you listen to him. Considering that not one of them has come out to condemn, much less disagree with, the vile anti Semitism and anti Israel rhetoric, pro-BDS, and pro aid cuts to Israel that are being espoused by their party members Tlaib and Omar, it seems they agree with it. Trump is a phenomenon we haven’t seen before. He’s clearly the best friend in a president to Israel in US history, and what we’re seeing these days in the democrat party is complicity with anti semitism and anti Israel policies.

Cheiny

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
Any of them are better than Trump because by politicizing support for Israel, Trump has caused long term negative impact on support for Israel in the US. I view Trump's actions in the Middle East as causing a lot of harm.

There really is almost no difference in support for Israel between Democrats and Republicans as every administration has supported Israel. It's just a chimera to scare people. Do people really think Biden, Warren or Sanders are suddenly going to change the almost 70 years of US policy. What specific aspects of their policy make people think they are anti-Israel and don't point to a few fringe elements in the Party because that is more than compensated by the Anti-Semites and white nationalists who support Trump.

Start reading. Those candidates have said they will roll back Trump’s policies towards Israel. The anti semites are a “few fringe elements in the party, you say?” Lol, it seems the squad has a lot of power and a lot of support in the party. Has even one dem leader condemned them?

http://www.israelnationalnews......68923

Last edited by Cheiny on Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I wasn't able to watch/listen to the debates. Was their any discussion on the middle east?

Nope. Not on the economy either... after all, how could they bash Trump on those issues?

doctorima

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:56 pm
If I had to choose of the candidates who qualified for the debate (who are the only ones with a realistic chance at the nomination) to be the nominee solely based on their approach to Israel, I would probably go for Cory Booker, who is close to a lot of Jews (esp. Rabbi Shmuely Boteach), and was the only one in the first Democratic debate who wouldn't commit to automatically rejoining Obama's Iran deal (though he did vote for it the first time). Bernie would probably be the worst for Israel, and though she doesn't talk about the subject, I would assume that Warren isn't far behind.

OBnursemom

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:07 pm
I know we traditionally think Republicans are good for Israel, but Reagan and Bush I caused real harm, and Bush II talked pretty, but he’s the reason we lost Gaza. No one is on our side. Trump might be good for us now, but he’s such a polarized figure that as soon as a Democrat is in power, they will undo everything he did just because they can. Kind of like Trump did with all of Obama's policies.

JoyInTheMorning

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:29 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
I know we traditionally think Republicans are good for Israel, but Reagan and Bush I caused real harm, and Bush II talked pretty, but he’s the reason we lost Gaza. No one is on our side. Trump might be good for us now, but he’s such a polarized figure that as soon as a Democrat is in power, they will undo everything he did just because they can. Kind of like Trump did with all of Obama's policies.

I'm glad you're pointing this out. Traditionally, we have not done well with Republican presidents, starting with Eisenhower and continuing with Bush I and Bush II. The one exception was Nixon, who showed himself in private to be a terrible antiSemite but at least supported Israel with arms during the Yom Kippur War. In contrast, many Democratic presidents have been very good for Israel, starting with Truman, who recognized Israel as soon as the state was declared and LBJ, who sent Israel arms both before and after the Six Day War and did not pressure Israel to do a unilateral withdrawal from territories it had won (unlike Eisenhower, who forced Israel to withdraw from territories it had won in 1956). Carter was weak and is obviously no friend to Israel, but Clinton was wonderful for Israel and Obama, although most here hate him, did a tremendous amount of good for Israel, both in terms of putting together the biggest ever aid package for Israel, and in encouraging the development of the Iron Dome which has saved countless Israeli lives.

I am not afraid of Democrats unrolling Trump's policies toward Israel. I think they'll be much more concerned with unrolling tariffs,Trump's rollbacks of legislation to protect the environment, and Trump's rollbacks of industry regulations. I think Democrats will try to re-enter several deals from which Trump has withdrawn, like the Paris Climate Accords. I think they'll try to renegotiate a deal with Iran and the TPP, but the US will have lost a lot of leverage, so it may not be possible.

I know a lot of people are afraid of a Democratic president changing the embassy back to Tel Aviv. I don't think it will happen,but it's kind of meaningless in any case, since the main functionality of the embassy remains in Tel Aviv. It reminds me of that scene in that old film Sallah where someone (from Keren Kayemet?) is busy changing signs on a tree when multiple donors of that tree come by to visit it. That sort of sleight of hand is truly nothing compared to lives saved by aid packages and high-tech weapons systems.

Cheiny

Post  Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:11 pm
STMommy wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinio.....srael

Brooke Goldstein: Sanders, Warren, O’Rourke among Dems showing hostility to Israel

The Democratic Party has been a strong supporter of Israel and a strong opponent of anti-Semitism since President Harry Truman recognized the Jewish state when it declared independence from Britain in 1948. But unfortunately, this is no longer true of some Democratic presidential candidates and other Democratic elected officials.

This represents a disturbing shift from the Democratic Party of decades past, when support for Israel and opposition to anti-Semitism were pillars of the party.

Every Democratic president from Truman through Bill Clinton stood firmly with Israel – not agreeing with Israeli leaders on everything, but understanding that Israel is an invaluable ally that benefits the U.S. in many ways and an outpost of democracy in the unstable Middle East.

PALESTINIAN SCHOOL CURRICULUM IS 'MORE RADICAL THAN THE CURRICULUM THAT CAME BEFORE,' RESEARCH INSTITUTE SAYS

Sadly, in recent years more and more Democrats have taken to demonizing anyone who supports the Jewish state – even going as far as to falsely label them as Islamophobic.

More from Opinion

Brooke Goldstein: Israel smart about Omar, Tlaib – They are enemies of the Jewish state
Brooke Goldstein: Anti-Jewish and anti-Israel school curriculum on verge of approval in California
So what say those who want to be our next president? We already have some clues.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. – the only Jewish American among the leading presidential candidates – has been the most hostile towards Israel. He has referred to the Israeli government as “racist” and “oppressive” and has advocated cutting U.S. military support.

Sanders recently tapped Linda Sarsour, a rabid anti-Semite, to join his campaign. He then proceeded to speak at an Islamic Society of North America conference that promoted Islamic law, admonishing Muslims to wage jihad against the Jews.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., hired a director for progressive partnerships who openly supports Hamas, a militant terrorist group that seeks Israel’s destruction and has launched rockets and terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians from its base of operations in the Gaza Strip.

Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas bluntly called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a “racist.” This is a shameful act of hostility towards the democratically elected leader of a close American ally.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. – the only Jewish American among the leading presidential candidates – has been the most hostile towards Israel
We know less about where the other major Democratic presidential candidates stand. Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey have avoided direct confrontation and continue to present a moderate approach to U.S.-Israeli relations.

Former Vice President Joe Biden stood and watched as the relationship between President Barack Obama and Netanyahu grew increasingly strained. Biden has said Netanyahu is taking Israel in the “wrong direction” and reportedly strong-armed Ukraine into voting against Israel at the United Nations in the waning days of the Obama administration.

Voters like me, who have supported candidates on both sides of the aisle, need to know that whoever serves as president of the United States will not only speak up for Israel, but also actively fight against anti-Jewish bigotry.

Meanwhile, some other Democratic elected officials have taken to spreading anti-Semitic tropes, accusing Jews of dual loyalty and suggesting that Jewish money makes the world go round.

Shamefully, Democrats in Congress could not even come together to pass a resolution unequivocally singling out and condemning anti-Semitism. Instead, they passed a watered-down resolution broadly condemning all types of prejudice.

Then there’s the unlawful and anti-Semitic push to boycott Israeli people and businesses, known as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS). By cutting off Israel from the world, BDS seeks the economic strangulation of the world’s only Jewish state.

The hate-filled BDS campaign has crept from fringe political circles to the mainstream of the Democratic Party. Sixteen Democratic House members recently voted against legislation condemning BDS, including celebrity freshmen Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.

When she was a candidate for the House seat she now holds, Omar told Jewish voters in her district that she thought BDS was counterproductive to peace efforts. Candidate Tlaib said she supported a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Both completely reversed their positions after winning their respective elections.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR OPINION NEWSLETTER

Throughout history, rising anti-Semitism has always been accompanied by other forms of radicalization and the degradation of democracy overall.

Will Democrats continue to creep closer to radical anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic policy positions? Will they undermine the party’s traditional values of tolerance and equality? If so, they risk consigning themselves to the tragic fate of Jeremy Corbyn’s British Labour Party, which has allowed a culture of anti-Semitism to take root and poison the entire institution.

In an all-too-familiar routine, far too many Democrats pander to the Jewish community on pro-Israel issues when running for office and then turn around and show their true colors after Election Day.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

To date, the candidates running for president have skated by – banking on the fact that no one is asking them about a subject they’d rather ignore.

It’s time for the media to ask these questions and get real answers. Voters like me will be watching closely.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h