Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Know anyone in New Orleans?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

adorable

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 10:15 am
NEW YORK, Aug. 30 (JTA) — Adam Bronstone barely slept at night.
After evacuating New Orleans and heading west to Houston on Saturday to avoid Hurricane Katrina, he had a lot on his mind.

“You’re worried about where it’s going to hit,” said Bronstone, director of communications for the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans. “You’re worried about the place you live in; the place you work; the synagogue I go to, which is near the lake; the federation office, which is on a beautiful campus that’s only three years old and is also near the lake. I worry about where I’m going to be next week.”

Bronstone is among the 10,000-12,000 Jews from New Orleans and its environs who are believed to have fled the city to stay out of harm’s way. He has taken up residence with a friend who works at Houston’s Israeli Consulate.

Other consulate employees have taken in refugees from the hurricane as well, he said.

Katrina slammed cities and towns along the Gulf Coast on Monday, hitting portions of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida with racing winds and an engulfing downpour.

By Tuesday afternoon, reports indicated that nearly 80 people had died as a result of the storm, most in Mississippi, but that state’s governor said he expected the death toll to climb.

In New Orleans, levees overflowed and pumps failed, leaving part of the city under four to five feet of water. There were reports of bodies floating in the flood water.

The storm tore off a large section of the roof of the Louisiana Superdome, the football stadium where some 10,000 people had taken shelter.

According to an Associated Press report, neighborhoods along part of Lake Pontchartrain were flooded, forcing residents onto their roofs.

It was too early to assess damage to Jewish sites in the area. Among sites of Jewish interest is New Orleans’ Touro Synagogue, which bills itself as the oldest Jewish house of worship in America outside of the original 13 colonies.

Jewish organizations in the region and beyond pitched in to help out those touched by Katrina.

A Jewish camp in Mississippi was opened to New Orleans residents fleeing the storm. Nearly 150 evacuees, including some disabled adults, took shelter at the Reform movement’s Henry S. Jacobs Camp in Utica.

Three Chabad-Lubavitch emissaries remained in New Orleans to help residents who couldn’t leave the city.

Among them was Rabbi Yossi Nemes. Nemes received a panicked phone call from a visiting Jewish family that had been evicted from their hotel, which was shuttering up against the storm, a Chabad spokesman told JTA.

The family couldn’t make it to the Superdome quickly enough to miss the storm and, concerned for its safety, contacted Nemes — who decided to stay in his own home and take in the visitors.

Nemes could not be reached by telephone. Thirteen people were staying on the top floor of his home as the storm raged, driving water in through the roof. The first floors were flooded and toxic water coursed through the home’s taps, the Chabad spokesman said.

The United Jewish Communities, the umbrella organization of North American Jewish federations, established an emergency mailbox to accept donations to aid both the Jewish and general communities affected by the storm. UJC also is encouraging federations and affiliated communities to open independent mailboxes to raise money.

“The Jewish community has always been at the forefront of responding to human and natural disasters, and is playing a major role in alleviating such devastation,” said Carol Smokler, chair of the UJC Emergency Committee. “Hurricane Katrina is taking a human, emotional and property toll of historic proportions. UJC and the Jewish federations of North America will, as always, respond rapidly to ease the challenges and suffering of our Jewish brethren and their neighbors.”

Barry Swartz, UJC senior vice president, said the organization has a system in place to offer expertise to local communities in need.

“As soon as we knew it was heading toward the Gulf, we were in touch with the members of the federated communities and the network of independent communities,” he said. “We gave them advice in terms of preparation. We’ve been doing this for years, so they’re used to it and we’re used to it.”

B’nai B’rith has activated its disaster relief fund to collect money for Katrina’s victims.

“A natural disaster of this magnitude will certainly create huge need,” said Joel Kaplan, B’nai B’rith’s international president. “B’nai B’rith’s disaster relief fund will help us provide assistance as we have done in the case of natural and man-made disasters for nearly 140 years.”

The Union for Reform Judaism also opened a disaster relief fund. As soon as damages are assessed, the group said, it will decide which organizations are best equipped to aid victims, and will make donations to these groups.

While many New Orleans Jews headed west to Houston — which under normal circumstances is a five- to six-hour drive but, because of traffic, took some people more than 10 hours — others landed in Birmingham, Ala.; Nashville; Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Florida and elsewhere.

About 75 of those who ended up in Houston gathered for a special prayer service Monday evening at Houston’s Congregation Emanu El. Eric Stillman, executive director of the New Orleans federation, said it was comforting to pray, share and reflect with a group of people experiencing the same sense of uncertainty as he was.

“It was wonderful,” he said from his hotel room in Houston. “The frustrating thing is that none of us really knows when we’ll be able to go back to New Orleans and see the condition of our homes, our Jewish agencies, our businesses, the community as a whole.”

Stillman said he had been monitoring the situation back home on television and over the Internet, but didn’t know anybody who had remained behind in the city who could update him on the condition of specific sites.

Phone calls to several synagogues in Mississippi and Alabama went unanswered Tuesday.

Bronstone’s New Orleans-based cell phone service was going in and out, he said, which made it tough to get work done. But the CEO of Houston’s federation, Lee Wunsch, allowed Bronstone and Stillman to use his organization’s facilities.

“I wanted to be able to go in and get some work done and feel useful,” Bronstone said. “This is the story of ‘kol Yisrael areivim zeh b’zeh,’ ” an expression that means that Jews look after one another. “In times of need, Jews always help each other. This is one of those times.”

Wunsch said welcoming other federation employees was a “no brainer.”

“We’re glad to help out,” he said. “Houston’s not new to hurricanes and there’s another Jewish community close by that needs our assistance, and we’re glad to do whatever we can to help.”

At the North Louisiana Jewish Federation in Shreveport, in the northwest corner of Louisiana about 60 miles south of Arkansas, there haven’t been many appeals from Jews in need.

Area hotels are booked solid, said Howard Ross, the federation’s executive director, but no requests for shelter or synagogues have come in. In fact, Ross said, the only hurricane-related request they received was from a Jewish man looking for love.

The note “came over the Web, through our feedback,” Ross said. “A message saying, ‘I’m in Shreveport; I was forced out of New Orleans. I’m a single, 57-year-old man and I was wondering if there are any singles events.’ ”

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 10:22 am
Mandy wrote:
Uh... also mirikush and others, keep in mind that by rejoicing at this national tragedy and by thinking that this is America's punishment for Israeli politics, you are not placing yourself in very good company. I am sure that the Taliban and Al-Quada are having a big party about this tragedy. I would hope that we would be above that.

I think there is a big difference between 'rejoicing' and making an observation that it is 'ironic' or has the appearence of 'midda keneged midda'. While we mourn national tragedy and loss of life, there is a message in everything.

stem

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 11:50 am
Chavamom, I agree with you. This is incredibly ironic. I get the feeling that Hashem is letting out his "anger" on the Americans - as a sign for us, the Jewish people -, with this Mabul. This is mamash like what it says in the Torah, water from the skies and water from the ground, totally flooding the area...

MatzosMama

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 1:08 pm
stem are you saying that this is the start of another "Great FLood"?

stem

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 1:21 pm
No! I am just saying that this seems to be a flood similar to the one in the Torah, which makes me think about the reason there was a flood then, and what we can learn about it in our days.

IM-MA

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 1:55 pm
ChabadNewOrleans.com » Jewish Hurricane Relief » Diary
Rabbi Nemes is Still Safe!

We just had a bit of good news. Rabbi Nemes (director of Chabad of Metairie) managed to reach his parents in New York, in a brief phone conversation. He is OK, but he is stuck in his home in Metairie (Jefferson Parish, )with water on the first floor. They have been on the second floor for two days, and they are still OK.

Rabbi Nemes stayed because he was contacted by a few people that were stuck in the city and were afraid to shelter in the Superdome. So, he and his family invited them into his home to ride out the storm. They are now 13 people on the second floor, waiting to be rescued. They are running our of drinking water, and cannot boil more, because the stove is on the first floor.

As soon as we get in touch with him, he will post some information on this site.
Morning of Prayer 8/31 8:44 AM

The governor of LA has called for a Day of Prayer today. At 8:30 AM, they are having a prayer service in Baton Rouge. It is amazing how powerfully people feel the need of help from G-d, in these situations. All day Sunday and Monday, as we evacuated, our alumni and students called us to ask what they can do right now to help, and we kept saying that they should put on Tefilling, resolve to light Shabbat candles.

Many Alumni have told me that they put on Tefillin on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, in our merit.

"All Jews are responsible for each other." The Rebbe points out that the word that the Talmud uses for "responsible" is related to the Hebrew word that means "intermixed." All Jews are "intermixed" with each other. One Jew's Mitzvah can make a difference for all Jews throughout the world.
Community Members 8/30 11 PM

I just spoke with two families in our community. One evacuated to Memphis area, the other, to Lafayette. Neither of them had seen the Mayor predicting the nine feet of water in our neighborhood, and I was not about to argue. Let's hope that they are right.

One family has a wedding scheduled for the middle of September, in New Orleans. At this point, we have to start thinking about where to do this wedding. The community is scattered across 8 states...

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 5:58 pm
http://chabad.info/index.php?u.....=5420

http://chabad.info/index.php?u.....=5432

Rivka

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 5:31 am
Yes you can look at the irony, but remember when it comes to Hashems anger and fury and if He sends out the angel of death, Jews are not distinguished by non Jews. So even in egypt they had to have a sign on their doors to stop the malach hamoves taking their lives.
The only people who rejoice at others downfalls are the Arabs and I don't think any Jew should stoop so low.
It says do not rejoice at your enemies downfall, we are not on any level to decide who deserves what.

buba123

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:51 am
Only glanced through this whole thread - yet here's something interesting---
My father mentioned to me that New Orleans is a city filled with a lot of tumah - Mardi Gras and all......

I can't even begin to imagine what these people are going through.. How do you find the strength to rebuild?!!

My heart goes out to all the people there - Jews and non-Jews alike.. Sad Crying

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 11:19 am
Rivka wrote:
Yes you can look at the irony, but remember when it comes to Hashems anger and fury and if He sends out the angel of death, Jews are not distinguished by non Jews. So even in egypt they had to have a sign on their doors to stop the malach hamoves taking their lives.
The only people who rejoice at others downfalls are the Arabs and I don't think any Jew should stoop so low.
It says do not rejoice at your enemies downfall, we are not on any level to decide who deserves what.

Rivka , I think you missed my post . Everyone is misquoting this verse, and Mishna. The Gemoro Megilla 16. points out that it refers to Jews. However, enemies of Hashem and the Jewish peoples' downfall we do celebrate.

While noone is celebrating the tragedy in US, except probably our common Arab enemies, and officially the US is not our enemy, but friend, nonetheless,as chavamom, stem and mirikush pointed out there is an inescapable reality that only one week after Bush ,(while championing "democracy" in Iraq)went out of his way to help Sharon execute the utterly undemocratic barbaric uprooting of Jews from southern, coastal Gush Katif, and demolishing of Jewish towns and property, turning their residents into homeless, unemployed refugees --

In a wake-up call or message from Above,
he is now faced with the forced evacuation, homelessness and destruction of the southern, coastal states of the US.

One would have to be blind not to see the striking similarity and likely connection of events.

stem

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:25 pm
There is total chaos in New Orleans now. They are forcibly evacuating the rest of the city... Sound familiar?

1stimer

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 2:20 pm
Quote:
In a wake-up call or message from Above,
It's more likely to be a wake up call for us Jews then for Bush.

1stimer

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 2:23 pm
Quote:
However, enemies of Hashem and the Jewish peoples' downfall we do celebrate.

So how comes, we spill wine on pesach when we mention the macos? How comes we don't say full hallel on last day pesach (day that egyptians drowned in yam suf?) In fact I have heard that we don't say hallel on purim is because of Haman's downfall. So u can't just say that we do celebrate!

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 2:25 pm
Away from philosophy and to 'lema'aseh', I just spoke to an Aish family that evacuated from New Orleans. The father does kiruv there. They packed for a 'few days' and went to Memphis, where they are staying with a family. They now have the kids enrolled in school in Memphis and don't anticipate going home to their (most likely destroyed) house for a few monthes. If there is anyone that can help out with hand-me downs for kids these ages, PM me and I'll give you an address to mail them to.

9 year old boy
8 year-old girl (size 8 )
7 year-old boy (size 6-7)
4 1/2 year-old girl (size 5)
2 month old baby girl

Last edited by chavamom on Thu, Sep 01 2005, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 6:22 pm
chavamom, that's really nice that you're doing this for them......

Motek

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:41 pm
interesting timing:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/n.....46076

Mandy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:09 am
In response : http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/198493.htm

We all try to find reason in tragedy, but sometimes I think we try too hard. Some horrible events are not to be understood by us, ever and it seems useless to try and explain them as punishments. Especially because of the loss of innocent lives. Another example that comes to mind is the holocaust, which most people have stopped considering as the punishment for the haskalah movement.

Motek

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:46 am
to respond to some of his claims:

Quote:
The hurricane struck on Monday, August 29. This year's Southern Decadence, sometimes called the "Gay Mardi Gras," was scheduled to open today, Wednesday the 31st, and continue through Sunday. The storm obviously did not strike on "the day" of the celebration. Many, perhaps most, of the revelers had not even arrived yet.

oh please! Rolling Eyes

reminds me of the guy who was praying to G-d for help in the storm and spurned the rowboat, the helicopter etc.

Quote:
Southern Decadence is a 35-year-old tradition in New Orleans. Why did God choose to wait till 2005 to "punish" the city for it?

why did G-d wait before punishing Sedom? Canaan? Because their time wasn't up yet.

Quote:
Why is the French Quarter, the district where the event (now canceled) was to be held, one of the least devastated parts of the city so far?
If this tragedy occurred because God is angry at New Orleans, what was the point of the awful devastation and loss of life wrought in Mississippi and Alabama?

don't know

Quote:
Natural disasters happen all the time, and Katrina was certainly not the first hurricane to strike the southern United States this season.

happen? like by themselves? Jews believe in Divine Providence, that every leaf blowing in the wind is part of G-d's plan

Quote:
By what logic, and by what right, does any human being arbitrarily declare that this natural disaster was a punishment meted out upon sinners by God?

nothing arbitrary about it

G-d says homosexuality is an abomination.

And to get back to the other parallel referred to earlier - America supported the eviction of Jews and the destruction of communities, shuls, yeshivos, and a cemetery. This churban happened days before the Katrina disaster.

Jews are G-d's beloved children. Don't mess with them.

deedee

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:50 am
I live in florida and got hit with katrina when it was a gategory 1. let me tell you it was pretty scary with the wind and rain whipping and howling all around my house. I've been through a few hurricanes higher in categories, so I thought hey a 1 is no big deal. boy was I wrong, getting a direct hit from a 1 was worse then outer bands from 3 or 4's. I couldnt believe how scary it was!!!
now compare that to a catagory 4 direct hit! I cant even begin to imagine...from all the pictures, it looks like something out of a movie. Crying
my husband printed a satelite pic of katrina just b-4 it hit. it was directly parellel to the state of florida and it was bigger then florida!!!! shock
my aunt, uncle and cousins live in new orleans. my aunt and one cousin were comming in on sunday for my uncles wedding. we urged her to get on a earlier flight b-4 they closed the airport. B'H they made it. the rest of the family evaccuated to texas. my aunt is still by us and she will meet up with her family in gainsville fl, where a friend has given them the use of his house. it looks like they wont be able to go home for months! its so aweful. Sad
my aunt and uncle had a business there but now how can they make $ its a big prob. if u are able to, please donate anything u can to help the yidden get back on their feet.
and now the gas prices are going up! my mom just called to tell me to go fill up now cause she just went to a station that was all empty! Confused
new orleans is so crazy now my aunt doesnt even want to go back. B'H they have heard that their house is ok. Smile

Mandy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:56 am
Quote:
Jews believe in Divine Providence, that every leaf blowing in the wind is part of G-d's plan

This is a chassidic concept. The rambam in more nevuchim did not agree.

Motek, you did not reply to my comparison to the Holocaust. Are you comfortable giving reasons for all destruction and tragedy ? Should we say that the shoah happened because of the Enlightment movement ? How do you choose when to give a reason and when not to give a reason ? I don't think the people in New Orleans were very instrumental in orchestrating the gush katif evacuation. And if you say that the country in general is being punished, this sort of contradicts your earlier hashgacha pratis ( vs. hashgacha klallis) stance.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics