Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear an item with a skull on it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Say what?
Are we expected to drop everything and pick up on every trend? (!?!?!)
I remember hearing Chana Gilmore, who was pretty enmeshed in the fashion industry, deciding how trends start. One day a big name says, I feel pink this year. And then all the acolytes do pink, that's what's in the stores so it's available and it kind of grows on us. Or at least isn't offensive so if we need something and pink's there, we'll go pink.

I don’t do trends. I don’t buy something because everyone else is wearing it or because that’s whats “in” this season. If I like something I’ll get it, even if it’s not trendy. If I don’t like something I won’t get it, even if it is trendy.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:14 am
No for all of the reasons all the naysayers posted.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Say what?

No.

But if you are out shopping for clothes - you will be confronted with the trendy item. Its an easy choice - because its in front of your nose.

So you either say - okay I'll buy this - or 'no I will not buy this - and move onto another thing.

Of course there is a subset of the population that has been waiting for skulls to show up on clothes because they really have been waiting to buy a skull shirt. Maybe there are women like this posting here?

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Say what?
I remember hearing Chana Gilmore, who was pretty enmeshed in the fashion industry, deciding how trends start. One day a big name says, I feel pink this year. And then all the acolytes do pink, that's what's in the stores so it's available and it kind of grows on us. Or at least isn't offensive so if we need something and pink's there, we'll go pink.

Who is Chana Gilmore and why does she decide trends for the fashion industry?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:23 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Who is Chana Gilmore and why does she decide trends for the fashion industry?

She used to go by Ann Gilmore and was an assistant to a famous designer, I don't remember who, and spoke about her experience as a fashion insider, and about her spiritual journey years ago (at least 15, maybe more). Interesting perspectives.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:23 am
ok so I worded it wrong. I'm waiting for someone to say yes with a reason, doesn't have to be a good reason. possible reasons would be: I like it, I think it shows strength, it's a watch out/don't mess signal.... whatever they think/feel goes.

give this thread a couple of hours and we'll have fifty posters saying yes they love skulls on their sweaters. threads often take a sudden turn in the opposite direction.

I'm just curious, nothing more.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:26 am
glamourmom wrote:
ok so I worded it wrong. I'm waiting for someone to say yes with a reason, doesn't have to be a good reason. possible reasons would be: I like it, I think it shows strength, it's a watch out/don't mess signal.... whatever they think/feel goes.

give this thread a couple of hours and we'll have fifty posters saying yes they love skulls on their sweaters. threads often take a sudden turn in the opposite direction.

I'll check back in a couple of hours - but baseline - when people purchase an item of clothing - they usually like the way it looks.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Say what?

Yes, it does grow on us as our eyes become accustomed to that look.

A poster (whom I won't name) recently opined that anything other than slim-fitting pants look awful on men and boys. But that is because we've become accustomed to that look over the past many years. It would not have been considered to be the sole good look at various other times.

Same with hair.

And lots of other things.

Its silly to say that any of us are not influenced by trends, even if we don't dress in a "trendy" manner.

All of that said, I would probably not wear a skull because its not my thing.

sky

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:30 am
Curious is ppl would wear something or put on child an article of clothing with star on chest.
The style is becoming very popular and I’m wondering if it is in bad taste?
Is that we are desensitized? Or it doesn’t matter? Or we are stronger? Or you have no reason why it bothers me.

I feel like the world was so bothered when zara did it. But Jewish designers do it all the time now. https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....kup=1

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:32 am
SixOfWands wrote:

A poster (whom I won't name) recently opined that anything other than slim-fitting pants look awful on men and boys. But that is because we've become accustomed to that look over the past many years. It would not have been considered to be the sole good look at various other times.

Same with hair.

Its silly to say that any of us are not influenced by trends, even if we don't dress in a "trendy" manner.

Yes, it often does. Skinny pants haven't though ;-D
I want to make very clear that I'm not making this specific issue - skulls - into a frumkeit issue. There are some more general themes to be explored, like this one. Looking forward to when I log in again. Have a wonderful Shabbos, everyone.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:35 am
sky wrote:
Curious is ppl would wear something or put on child an article of clothing with star on chest.

There's a difference between a six pointed star and a regular star
I got my daughter a denim jacket with a flippy sequin yellow star on the pocket and my mother was HORRIFIED
It doesn't look like a Jewish star from Nazi times to me but maybe it does from far away I don't know..... I still let her wear it
I think the Zara case was sort of isolated. I've never seen Jewish designers do it.
I think if you avoid the yellow its fine

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:46 am
No. It's a violent image associated with poisons, piracy, death in general, and, worst of all, the nazi SS-Totenkopfverbände that ran the extermination camps.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:48 am
zaq wrote:
No. It's a violent image associated with poisons, piracy, death in general, and, worst of all, the nazi SS-Totenkopfverbände that ran the extermination camps.

I'm glad that you and Ruchel brought this up.
It wasn't an association that jumped out at me but I will now be mindful of this in the future.

chmom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:49 am
glamourmom wrote:

I would and do, if it works well with an outfit ( for example if I‘m feeling very Rock n‘ Roll)
But then again I wear leather biker jackets, combat boots and metal studs and mix them up with feminine pieces

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Same with hair.

👋 hi! 😃

Nope. What I said was that baggy pants look awful. And they do. If you can’t or won’t do skinny then do slim or straight leg.

Now obviously, they didn’t look awful in 1996 when baggy pants were in style. But we are all influenced by style.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:53 am
chmom wrote:
I would and do, if it works well with an outfit ( for example if I‘m feeling very Rock n‘ Roll)
But then again I wear leather biker jackets, combat boots and metal studs and mix them up with feminine pieces

cool. I probably would love your look but would never be able to pull it off. you go, girl.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:57 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
👋 hi! 😃

Nope. What I said was that baggy pants look awful. And they do. If you can’t or won’t do skinny then do slim or straight leg.

Now obviously, they didn’t look awful in 1996 when baggy pants were in style. But we are all influenced by style.

When they come back into style in 2026 - will they look awful?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:24 pm
glamourmom wrote:

Obviously if I would wear it, it’s because I like it. I didn’t realize I needed to explicitly say I like skulls. Like I said before, I would wear an item of clothing that had a skull on it. I wouldn’t wear something that had skulls all over, except for a bandana.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:26 pm
chmom wrote:

I love your style!!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:09 pm
Humans and animals have a natural aversion to skulls. A skull in nature means this is a dangerous place to be.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics