Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
My Children dont have what to wear for Yom Tov
Previous  1  2  3  Next

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:10 pm
My son in law's shul has an account in a children's clothing store in Crown Heights for this purpose and he thinks that other shuls do the same thing.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
If you are in Brooklyn, there is an amazing gemach called Bobby place that makes kids feel like it's a real store. My daughter has some girls in her class who dont even know it's a gemach and were telling kids that where their clothes are from

The response is amazing, what a wonderful, generous & goodhearted group we have here.

Being that I've been in this position (and still am), there is one factor that we all needs to consider. Coming from being well off, to accepting hand me downs from others is a very difficult step, especially if it's in a one year span. It's emotionally & mentally bruising, to put it mildly. The best thing that someone did for me was anonymously send me a gift card to a store that I used to frequent, and it allowed me to save face so to speak & lift my spirits for that day (and Yom Tov). I wish I was in the position to pay it forward, but, unfortunately, I cannot. I daven that Hashem will grant me the ability to do so one day.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My children have nothing to wear.
I spent the last few weeks running around trying to find something cheap but now its almost Yom Tov and I havent found something.
Last years is too small.
Not sure what I want from all of you but it so crazy stressful to live without enough income.
I hope this year, my family and all of klal yisrael were inscribed to a year of health, nachas and enough parnassah!
Just a vent.

Same. Only baby has what to wear (hand-me-downs).

For me the issue is also time, I can't take my baby to the mall because of the measles outbreak, so the times I can take the older kids clothes shopping is very limited and mostly after bedtime 20 minutes before the stores close. So meanwhile I've only had time to visit 2 stores.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll find something in the local mall, if I don't find anything in my price range then I guess they just won't have, I don't have time to go anywhere farther away.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 4:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

For me the issue is also time, I can't take my baby to the mall because of the measles outbreak, so the times I can take the older kids clothes shopping is very limited and mostly after bedtime 20 minutes before the stores close. So meanwhile I've only had time to visit 2 stores.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll find something in the local mall, if I don't find anything in my price range then I guess they just won't have, I don't have time to go anywhere farther away.

You can order cheap clothes online. Either sale (h&m has very cheap stuff on sale for example) or Amazon.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
You can order cheap clothes online. Either sale (h&m has very cheap stuff on sale for example) or Amazon.

I need to measure skirt length....in the non-frum world skirts are mid-thigh, so you need to buy bigger sizes but make sure it still fits around the waist or in the body for a dress...
Pants you are right I could probably order online. Though DS needs new weekday shirts and doesn't like what he's seen onlien.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 7:38 pm

The measles outbreak has been declared over in rockland and NYC.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 7:39 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
The response is amazing, what a wonderful, generous & goodhearted group we have here.

Being that I've been in this position (and still am), there is one factor that we all needs to consider. Coming from being well off, to accepting hand me downs from others is a very difficult step, especially if it's in a one year span. It's emotionally & mentally bruising, to put it mildly. The best thing that someone did for me was anonymously send me a gift card to a store that I used to frequent, and it allowed me to save face so to speak & lift my spirits for that day (and Yom Tov). I wish I was in the position to pay it forward, but, unfortunately, I cannot. I daven that Hashem will grant me the ability to do so one day.

I understand what you are saying, but this is brand new stuff from the manufacturer. Nothing is used at all. And at least your children will have something and not feel slighted.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 7:54 pm

OP here. Wow!! Just wow!!! Thank you so much all of you!!! It is amazing to know so many of you care and want to help. May Hashem bentch you all!

Amother cornflower. Yes! Thank you so much for this.

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:21 pm
Op, if you or anyone else wants matching clothing for girls sizes 8 &10 I can leave it outside my house for you to take tonight or tomorrow. I also have some boys size 5-6. Also boys suits around sizes 10 & 12 and white shirts sizes 12 & 14.
I’m in Lakewood...

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:08 pm
I understand what you are saying, but this is brand new stuff from the . Nothing is used at all. And at least your children will have eoiioireoiioireioiisomething and not feel slighted.

Exactly. I used to volunteer at Bobby's Place.

To qualify for clothing, I think you need to apply through your shul/Rav, at which point you get an appointment slot. Once you come, though, everything is set up like a real store - the floor ladies (only extremely experienced, discreet volunteers.) work very to find their customers something to their taste (all brand new, tagged items), the kids try things on in beautiful dressing rooms... And at the end, Mommy takes all the items to check out, and they ring them up for you. Bobby's Place is truly special.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 11:27 pm

I agree with this. A year ago I was comfortable purchasing almost anything. Now I’m extremely tight and penny pinching. it’s very difficult to go from the two extremes so quickly. Best wishes to the both of u for a speedy financial turnaround. I wish I cld help.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:09 am
Till what age does bobbys place go and how can I make sure others in my community don't know my clothes are from there? I know a few people who get from there already and I really wouldn't want them to know I get from there.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:58 am
I have three beautiful and stylish Shabbos dresses in PERFECT condition. Size 7-8.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:18 am
I know it's hard to take.. And some people are offering used items (probably perfect condition otherwise Noone would offer) but maybe even for extras over the winter it's worth just taking some offers. I love having extra clothes for my kids..

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 3:16 am
The measles outbreak has been declared over in rockland and NYC.

I live in Israel...

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:58 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Till what age does bobbys place go and how can I make sure others in my community don't know my clothes are from there? I know a few people who get from there already and I really wouldn't want them to know I get from there.

There's nothing unique about the clothes there. The same dresses, suits, and accessories that everyone else carries, is what they carry. They often get donations from the manufacturers, maaser style, which allows them to carry all the high-end Jewish lines.

I remember them carrying up to mid-teens sizes, but that was several years ago. Anyone else have any idea?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:42 am
I need to measure skirt length....in the non-frum world skirts are mid-thigh, so you need to buy bigger sizes but make sure it still fits around the waist or in the body for a dress...
Pants you are right I could probably order online. Though DS needs new weekday shirts and doesn't like what he's seen onlien.

Well I always tell my husband this because in my opinion he grew up spoiled: if you don't have the money to spend on nice things , you'll just have to make do with what you can afford.
My husband never wanted to buy " cheap" because he grew up spending lots of money on clothes. And when we got married and didn't have money he spent lots of money on clothes anyway.

What's wrong with used clothing if it still looks nice? And yes you probably won't get exactly the things you were hoping for but that's just life.
Why do we look down on people who get their clothes from a gemach? And why do people feel embarassed to either wear used clothing in good condition or cheaper clothing from online? What kind of religion is this?? Or is it just a personal ego problem?
Your kids choices right now are either no new cloths at all, hand me downs from very kind people who sometimes even give new things away, or clothing that was ordered online at a reasonable price.

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:12 am
I live in Israel...

Misrad Habriut says there have been no measles cases in Israel in the last 5 months.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:26 am
Shuly wrote:
Misrad Habriut says there have been no measles cases in Israel in the last 5 months.

after rh they said in news, that there was a new case in Rockland county brought from Israel. Make of this info, whatever you want.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:41 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Well I always tell my husband this because in my opinion he grew up spoiled: if you don't have the money to spend on nice things , you'll just have to make do with what you can afford.
My husband never wanted to buy " cheap" because he grew up spending lots of money on clothes. And when we got married and didn't have money he spent lots of money on clothes anyway.

What's wrong with used clothing if it still looks nice? And yes you probably won't get exactly the things you were hoping for but that's just life.
Why do we look down on people who get their clothes from a gemach? And why do people feel embarassed to either wear used clothing in good condition or cheaper clothing from online? What kind of religion is this?? Or is it just a personal ego problem?
Your kids choices right now are either no new cloths at all, hand me downs from very kind people who sometimes even give new things away, or clothing that was ordered online at a reasonable price.

There are cheap things locally too, I'm not saving money by ordering online.

I prefer to get clothes from a gemach or to get hand-me-downs, most of our kids' clothes are secondhand and half of mine are too.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics