Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vitamin K shot for baby after birth
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

tweety1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:01 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
They disinfect before putting up the swab in order to test negative so they won't have to get antibiotics. That's why doctors don't let patients do it. Firstly they may do it incorrectly. Secondly they may game the system.

This! There is a popular doula that has her patients bathe in some concoction a night before the gbs test! I wouldn't believe it hadn't I not heard it from one such a patient. So scary to think what a bad outcome might be.
Not saying this was the case ch"v with op. I believe home birth midwives do test for gbs, but just putting out there that there is such an idea of fooling the system. The midwife I use when I asked her abt it she knew abt it but gave me such a speech I shouldn't dare try it. She's seen unfortunate stories
Edited for typo

Last edited by tweety1 on Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:02 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
They disinfect before putting up the swab in order to test negative so they won't have to get antibiotics. That's why doctors don't let patients do it. Firstly they may do it incorrectly. Secondly they may game the system.

First of all, in Israel they let me do it myself. What am I- a baby who doesnt know her own body parts, or a crazy lady who's gonna try to "trick" the doctors when it comes to my baby's life?

OP, that is awful. I can't imagine the terrible pain of losing your pure, special tzadekes. May Hashem bless you and your family with clarity, strength, and only simchos.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:03 pm
tweety1 wrote:
This! There is a popular doula that has her patients bathe in some concoction a night before the gbs test! I wouldn't believe it hadn't I not heard it from one such a patient. So scary to think what a bad outcome might be.
Not saying this was the case ch"v with op. I believe home birth midwives do test for gbs, but just putting out there that there is such an idea of filling the system. The midwife I use when I asked her abt it she knew abt it but gave me such a speech I shouldn't dare try it. She's seen unfortunate stories

That's right, I couldn't remember how they did it. Crazy when you consider at least 1/200 babies will die from GBS and it kills quickly.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:18 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Not saying this was the case ch"v with op. I believe home birth midwives do test for gbs, but just putting out there that there is such an idea of filling the system. The midwife I use when I asked her abt it she knew abt it but gave me such a speech I shouldn't dare try it. She's seen unfortunate stories

This doesn't answer your question of why a woman can't do it on her own. If a woman tricks the doctor, she's tricking him/her regardless of who is putting the swab in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:38 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
First of all, in Israel they let me do it myself. What am I- a baby who doesnt know her own body parts, or a crazy lady who's gonna try to "trick" the doctors when it comes to my baby's life?

OP, that is awful. I can't imagine the terrible pain of losing your pure, special tzadekes. May Hashem bless you and your family with clarity, strength, and only simchos.

Hello this is OP
After my terrible experience I would rather give vit k shot to my newborn in hospital setting then to trust an ignorant selfish doula or midwife at homebirth again.
Yes I was tested for gbs and it was positive. I was never told that it might be deadly. I did not do research on my own because I said I will rely on my midwife and doula advice. I am not blaming anyone they did their best although I believe they were not knowledgeable enough and had great learning experience on me and my baby. I was told if baby gets sick she will have fever and need abx. No one told me that the first sign might be ultimate death. Living with such guilt is chocking me on daily basis. I just wanted to know more about vit K shot since I hear few people talk about black box warning on Facebook.
Now hearing that it might have been gbs that took my babies life is hurting me even more. I did homebirth because it was highly recommended not because I am against hospital staff. I was told it’s best experience ever. For me it was the worst even before I realized my baby was gone.

tweety1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello this is OP
After my terrible experience I would rather give vit k shot to my newborn in hospital setting then to trust an ignorant selfish doula or midwife at homebirth again.
Yes I was tested for gbs and it was positive. I was never told that it might be deadly. I did not do research on my own because I said I will rely on my midwife and doula advice. I am not blaming anyone they did their best although I believe they were not knowledgeable enough and had great learning experience on me and my baby. I was told if baby gets sick she will have fever and need abx. No one told me that the first sign might be ultimate death. Living with such guilt is chocking me on daily basis. I just wanted to know more about vit K shot since I hear few people talk about black box warning on Facebook.
Now hearing that it might have been gbs that took my babies life is hurting me even more. I did homebirth because it was highly recommended not because I am against hospital staff. I was told it’s best experience ever. For me it was the worst even before I realized my baby was gone.

Op, I'm literally crying for you. I myself am pregnant now and you unfortunately gave me something else to daven really hard for. I can't possibly imagine the pain. But reading your post here and others as well, it was most probably from the gbs and not the vitamin k. I never in a million yrs would dream that a home birth midwife would not give abx. I really did think that they're more responsible than that. So sorry op. I wish I can hug you irl.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:24 pm
Op, the best thing you could do to honor your baby's life is to publicize your story.

Yours is not the first home birth death from GBS, and it won't be the last unless you use this experience to educate other mothers.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello this is OP

What an awful story. Please use it to help others.

You can PM me. We had a preventable issue with one of our kids. We publicized it to help others, and we have already been told of several kids who were help.

You can't change the past, but you can use it to help others never experience this.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello this is OP

OP, you didnt do anything wrong. Please dont beat yourself up over it. This isn't your fault, and it's not worth it to point fingers. I hope you gain clarity and peace of mind soon! Huge bear hugs!

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:32 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Vitamin k is for rare disease that blood doesnt clot. Hashem made a babys blood start clotting the 8th day of life therefore we make then a boys bris. Vitamin k became mandatory when non Jewish babies got circumcised in the hospital (before 8 days) and therefore didnt clot. My babies all got vitamin k but hope to fight it by my next one.

Every vaccine has risks. In this case it's really not important

My father is a mohel and says you can tell when a baby hasnt had the vit k injection, the clotting factor has not yet fully kicked in at 8 days old.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:21 pm
Op so sorry for your loss! May hashem bring you a nechama ! Crying
I can't imagine your pain right now!
Did the midwife tell you it was the vit k shot that was the cause?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Can we get this moved to the vaccination forum?

Why? It's not about a vaccine.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello this is OP

Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 3:15 pm
It's a horrible situation, and for some time you probably will blame yourself. But don't forget the other side of it. This neshama was destined to live in this world for one day. Because of the circumstances, her petirah came about through GBS. Had there been other circumstances, some other reason may have been in place. But the ultimate outcome was predetermined, and had nothing to do with your choices.

A few years ago my mother went to the doctor with a rather ambiguous complaint. The doctor went for the simplest explanation, without doing any further diagnostic tests. A few months layer when her symptoms had worsened, she went back to him, and this time he did send her for more testing. By then the problem had got a serious hold in her body, and she needed major surgery, and then severe treatment. Two years later she was niftar.

We were left with the question; if the doctor had sent her for testing earlier, would she still be here today? All my scientific knowledge was screaming that she died because that doctor didn't send her for an ultrasound. But amidst the scientific storm, there was another still small voice of emunah.

That voice of emunah argued that this was the period of life on this earth that was granted to her, and the date of her petirah had been determined the previous Rosh HaShana. One can argue that because of the doctors actions, her petirah came about through this disease, but if it had not been for that, it would still have come about through other circumstances. It was hard to listen to that still small voice, and sometime I feel that I still haven't made perfect peace with it, but ultimately I know that this is the only voice that is truely important.

If this was true for my mother, after her years of life with all the mizvot that she did and the mistakes that she made, how much more so for your perfect baby, who cannot even be judged on her own deeds.

It will be impossibly hard. But this was a judgement that went far beyond your own actions, and you were not responsible, whatever science and statistics say.

Hazlacha with the coming weeks.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 3:57 pm
my question is something else. If Hashem knew how to make babies conceive, grown and be born, do you think he mistakenly forgot that babies need Vitamin K?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello this is OP

I seriously have tears in my eyes. This is awful. Hugs.

If you want to do something positive, educate the home birth community and share your story.

I personally would contact a lawyer and see if there was negligence by your midwife. She should have given you the medicine.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:24 pm
Pretty sure hb midwives can't give anti biotics so they need to be transferred to hospital and she loses a patient.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:47 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Not saying this was the case ch"v with op. I believe home birth midwives do test for gbs, but just putting out there that there is such an idea of fooling the system. The midwife I use when I asked her abt it she knew abt it but gave me such a speech I shouldn't dare try it. She's seen unfortunate stories
Edited for typo

The thing to do (which has been discussed many times on this very site) is start applying a concoction 1-2 weeks before the test and if successful ie negative, keep applying until birth. Not about gaming the system but getting rid of the actual strep so it doesn't test. Btw I tested positive and refused abx (it makes me sick) and they just kept me for 3 days under observation.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:14 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Pretty sure hb midwives can't give anti biotics so they need to be transferred to hospital and she loses a patient.

That must not be true everywhere, my sister had 3 homebirths in Florida and was GBS positive each time and was given IV antibiotics

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:15 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
The thing to do (which has been discussed many times on this very site) is start applying a concoction 1-2 weeks before the test and if successful ie negative, keep applying until birth. Not about gaming the system but getting rid of the actual strep so it doesn't test. Btw I tested positive and refused abx (it makes me sick) and they just kept me for 3 days under observation.

You put your baby's life at risk.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics