Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate chip cookies with oil
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 10:05 pm
qeenB wrote:
levana kirschenbaum has the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in her cookbook levana's table . she specifically formulated the recipe using oil. here goes:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
3/4 cup plus 2 tbl spoons oil
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 best quality chocolate chips

yields about 4 doz

preheat oven to 375 bake 8-10 minutes depending on how thick the tray. the cookies firm up when cooled so don't over bake

enjoy! warning highly addictive !!

QeenB, 1 1/2 what?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 10:46 am
Choc. Chip Cookies with Oil
(recipe adapted from another thread on our site)

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 T vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Bake 8-12 minutes depending on how big your cookies are. Makes 3 dozen medium sized cookies.

Last edited by chocolate moose on Thu, Jan 17 2008, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 2:55 pm
or try applesauce instead of oil or margerine. it worked in my recipe..........

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:20 pm
Shanie, could u pls specify how much applesauce? Do u sub for the entire amt of oil or only some?

thanks

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:47 pm
Applesauce definitely changes the taste. I'm going to post a cookie recipe in the next few weeks with applesauce as an ingredient.

Lani22

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:49 pm
I love to cook, but baking......scares me!
This recipe seems easy enough im gonna try it for this shabbas!
Thank you.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:54 pm
Whoops. I posted the wrong recipe. Instead of Chocolate chip cookies I posted Chocolate Chocolate chip cookies.
Here's the regular, no margarine choc chip cookies recipe. I made it this week and they came out PERFECT.

4 eggs
1 3/4 canola oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 tsp. vanilla

Beat for 5 minutes with the egg mixer attachment, till fluffy.

Change to K beater and add:

2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 cups white flour (I used ALL w.w. and it was great)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Bake at 350 F (180C) for 8-10 minutes.
This recipe is from Mishpacha magazinge (Tamar Ansch, I think)

I was afraid they wouldn't be chewy enough but they were just right.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 3:56 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Shanie, could u pls specify how much applesauce? Do u sub for the entire amt of oil or only some?

thanks

I used 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup margarine. the taste was a bit different, and the cookie was softer than when I use margarine, but they were still very good. and a lot less fattening too.

I did it to avoid corn - my son has to be off corn for a few months-corn oil, corn syrup, corn starch etc.....

mommy24

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 4:11 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Choc. Chip Cookies with Oil
(recipe adapted from another thread on our site)

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 T vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Bake 8-12 minutes depending on how big your cookies are. Makes 3 dozen medium sized cookies.

isn't this the same recipe from the other thread? if so you omitted half cup of chips and 2 TBSP of oil

Also I made these and would advise for anyone who likes chewy cookies to take htem out of the oven at 8 minutes, and let them cool then put them away in an airtight or ziplock bag. they stay moist and chewey for a few days.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 17 2008, 4:53 pm
mommy24 wrote:
isn't this the same recipe from the other thread? if so you omitted half cup of chips and 2 TBSP of oil

Mommy 24, you don’t need them. It’s fine without them. The Chocolate chip measurement wasn’t clear so I used a cup and it was fine.

dilego

Post Sat, Jan 19 2008, 3:35 pm
maybe one of you has the choc.chip cookies recipe from the mishpacha that called for a bit of oilt , applesauce,smth.like 3/4 of a cup,and rice krispies?I can't remember the name.I used it a couple of times but misplaced it&am really missing it.

Motek

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 10:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
what's the mayleh? oil has some saturated fat (trans fat) you know.

Wesson soybean oil says it has zero.

qeenB

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 10:28 pm
sorry I didnt realize I omitted writing the quantity its 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. however I dont usualy put so many myself like cm said a cup works just as well.

spinkles

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 12:28 am
I'm going to try these, they sound good!

CM, I just wanted to clarify something. You said:

Quote:
I jsut want to restate that Canola oil - and choclate chips, for that matter- DO have saturated fat, which turns to cholesterol in the body.

So if you're trying to avoid trans fat, you're not really accomplishing your goal.

CM, if you look on food nutrition labels, you'll see that "trans fat" and "saturated fat" are listed separately. They are two different things. (Trans fat is oil with hydrogen added so it's solid at room temp, whereas sat fats occur naturally.)

Canola oil does not contain saturated fat.

Cocoa butter does.

You are right that chocolate chips contain saturated fat (from the cocoa butter, and often from shortening as well), so if a person is concerned about cholesterol, they shouldn't make these cookies.

But lots of people aren't so concerned about cholesterol, yet ARE concerned about trans fats. Trans fats are suspected of being linked to increased rates of cancer, diabetes, obesity, infertility, etc., lo aleinu, so it makes sense to avoid them.

So when you say a person who wants to avoid trans fat isn't really accomplishing her goal with this recipe, you are partly right and partly not. The chocolate chips are still trans fats, but the oil is not--and that's a pretty significant upgrade, healthwise.

Now I'm feeling all squeamish about making them. Something about visualizing all those different types of fat--ichhh!

Bambamama

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:19 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Here is Tamar Ansch's recipe from Mishpacha(I save recipes):

No Margarine Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup canola oil (no trans fat there)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Beat this together for five minutes until it becomes somewhat thicker.
Change the mixer piece toyour "K" hook and then add:
2 cups white flour
2/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tst baking soda

Mix until it is a cookie dough. Add 1 cup choc. chips any size. Or a mix of black chips and white chips.

Roll these into balls and place on lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Do not flatten. Bake at 350 (180 C) for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. They are done the first minute that you see wrinkles and lines on the tops of them. Let them harden before removing. Freeze (airtight) - or they won't be there in the morning!

I came across this recipe through a search.... My family LOOOOVES these cookies, DH more so than the kids even. I started making them almost every week (but I cut the sugar down to one cup or less). Just had to say thank you!!

fantabulous

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 4:35 pm
http://www.aish.com/family/coo.....t.asp

A few oil-no-margarine recipes. Including choco chip.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins