Home

Trump's antisemitic remarks in Hollywood, Florida
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

simcha2

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:22 pm
small bean wrote:
This is very important.

What one person thinks or does not translate to another person's actions.

If I say out loud that blonde people are all stupid. And then a professor takes that as a license to fail all blonde students, that action is not on me.

If the president says Jews are great businessmen, and then some person decides that means jews are taking over America and shoots up a shul. That is not on trump..

I think attributing to much thought on what anyone says and the effects it may have on others is a recipe for taking away free speech. It is what is causing cancel culture. Who was the actor that recently said kids shouldn't be taking puberty blockers, as they cant pick a gender at the age of 5, and was cancelled? He didnt cause any trans person to commit suicide. He didnt cause any harm by voicing his opinion.

I think this attitude is the fundamental difference between the right and left today. It undermines everything.

The size of the megaphone matters.

No, you can't say someone else told you to. But, the normalization of attitudes affects us.

Laiya

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:44 pm
small bean wrote:
This is very important.

If I say out loud that blonde people are all stupid. And then a professor takes that as a license to fail all blonde students, that action is not on me.

If the president says Jews are great businessmen, and then some person decides that means jews are taking over America and shoots up a shul. That is not on trump..

I think attributing to much thought on what anyone says and the effects it may have on others is a recipe for taking away free speech. It is what is causing cancel culture. Who was the actor that recently said kids shouldn't be taking puberty blockers, as they cant pick a gender at the age of 5, and was cancelled? He didnt cause any trans person to commit suicide. He didnt cause any harm by voicing his opinion.

I think this attitude is the fundamental difference between the right and left today. It undermines everything.

I actually agree with Simcha2 that a leader can set the tone. I think it's fair to say that Obama's attitude (and words) escalated racial tensions that resulted in violence and gave birth to the blm movement.

Fox

small bean wrote:
This is very important.

Very well put.

Preventing people from asking offensive questions does not make them more tolerant. It just makes them take their grumbles to private settings, where they are even less likely to get answers.

In addition to Imamother, I am primarily active on Twitter and in a private chat. I make a point of responding to anti-Semitic-sounding questions or observations. One of two things invariably happens: the true, anti-Semitic-to-the-bone folks do not want their worldview chipped away at by an actual Jew with actual answers, so they dodge all interaction.

The others, though, never fail to surprise me. At least once or twice a week, someone will say, "Oh, nobody ever told me that before," or something similar. Quite a few end up DMing me with additional questions. They're not going to start loving Jews on my say-so, but it's shocking to me how much some of them prefer being able to spout facts rather than post nonsense. I should post some of the conversations here -- some of them are really cute.

Bottom line: With some exceptions, offensive questions or observations deserve answers, and if you can't answer someone who says, "Why do Jews dominate the world," then stop kvetching and let the people who can answer do so.

small bean

Has anyone read the executive order? It doesnt even say jews are a nationality.

You can read it here. Scribd.com/document/439372691/Combating-Anti-Semitism-2019-Executive-Order#fullscreen&from_embed

Again fake outrage. People getting upset before reading it and seeing that it is completely exaggerated.

Fox

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:46 pm
small bean wrote:
Has anyone read the executive order? It doesnt even say jews are a nationality.

You can read it here. Scribd.com/document/439372691/Combating-Anti-Semitism-2019-Executive-Order#fullscreen&from_embed

Again fake outrage. People getting upset before reading it and seeing that it is completely exaggerated.

Correct. Apparently most of the reporting is being done based on a NYT report that was filed before the draft was even available. The whole thing says more about the state of the press than about anything else.

Laiya

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:48 pm
Fox wrote:

and if you can't answer someone who says, "Why do Jews dominate the world," then stop kvetching and let the people who can answer do so.

You mean we don't? Now that's a downer What

small bean

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:50 pm
Laiya wrote:
I actually agree with Simcha2 that a leader can set the tone. I think it's fair to say that Obama's attitude (and words) escalated racial tensions that resulted in violence and gave birth to the blm movement.

Obama was not at fault for policemen getting shot up by black people.

Obam did pit people against eachother in his speeches. He did say how black people were police targets etc. He didnot tell people to go out and attack their policemen. He attacked the policeman with words directly but not with violence and he didnt call for it.

This is different in that sense. This is not illah omar, saying it's all about the Benjamin's. This is thinking into every word he says and interpreting it to mean what you want it to.

I think you understand the difference.

Laiya

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:57 pm
small bean wrote:
Obama was not at fault for policemen getting shot up by black people.

Obam did pit people against eachother in his speeches. He did say how black people were police targets etc. He didnot tell people to go out and attack their policemen. He attacked the policeman with words directly but not with violence and he didnt call for it.

This is different in that sense. This is not illah omar, saying it's all about the Benjamin's. This is thinking into every word he says and interpreting it to mean what you want it to.

I think you understand the difference.

Obama is not guilty of murder, but there is a certain amount of blame that he rightfully deserves for the environment he helped to create. I was responding to your statement about the responsibility of one who uses words to foster an attitude that leads to bad conduct.

I do not think that Trump has said anything like that, and I said in my previous post that his actual words have been very supportive of Jews and Israel.

Fox

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 12:57 pm
Laiya wrote:
You mean we don't? Now that's a downer What

I know, right?!

I also usually tell them that International Zionist World Domination Cabal meetings are on Wednesday evenings at my house, and I serve cookies. This has actually become a running joke on the chat, where the college guys think they're being edgy by trash-talking Jews.

When one of them starts up, someone will often say, "Look, buddy, if you have a problem, the meetings are on Wednesdays at Fox's. You can voice your complaints over cookies."

Laiya

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:02 pm
Fox wrote:
I know, right?!

I also usually tell them that International Zionist World Domination Cabal meetings are on Wednesday evenings at my house, and I serve cookies. This has actually become a running joke on the chat, where the college guys think they're being edgy by trash-talking Jews.

When one of them starts up, someone will often say, "Look, buddy, if you have a problem, the meetings are on Wednesdays at Fox's. You can voice your complaints over cookies."

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

small bean

Post  Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:14 pm
Laiya wrote:
Obama is not guilty of murder, but there is a certain amount of blame that he rightfully deserves for the environment he helped to create. I was responding to your statement about the responsibility of one who uses words to foster an attitude that leads to bad conduct.

I do not think that Trump has said anything like that, and I said in my previous post that his actual words have been very supportive of Jews and Israel.

I agree with you that obama created BLM. I think he deserves the blame for creating an anti police movement. I think he deserves bakne for putting people against each other. I don't think he gets blamed for violence.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Recent Topics

Page 6 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h