Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Egg boxes at Evergreen and Wesley Kosher now cost 50 cents
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
The competition among the grocery stores in Monsey is brutal. Also, they help each other out. It’s an interesting dynamic.
So they all decided that they are not going to compete with each other with regards to this new law. Now that people won’t be taking plastic bags anymore (because there’s a charge) they don’t want everyone taking free boxes because they’re expensive.

If you made an order they gave you boxes in which the groceries were packed besides that there is still a delivery fee. If you wanted boxes not for groceries they charged a $1

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
The competition among the grocery stores in Monsey is brutal. Also, they help each other out. It’s an interesting dynamic.
So they all decided that they are not going to compete with each other with regards to this new law. Now that people won’t be taking plastic bags anymore (because there’s a charge) they don’t want everyone taking free boxes because they’re expensive.

Isn't this the definition of price-fixing? (which is against the law)

shmosmom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:48 pm
Copper & Slategray- exactly what I was thinking! Why are you guys anonymous tho?

And tbh I'd love to see some people start using reusable bags instead of just paying the 5-10 cents. I'm not mad about the new charge, the overuse of plastics/disposables has gone too far.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:55 pm
shmosmom wrote:
Copper & Slategray- exactly what I was thinking! Why are you guys anonymous tho?

And tbh I'd love to see some people start using reusable bags instead of just paying the 5-10 cents. I'm not mad about the new charge, the overuse of plastics/disposables has gone too far.

Maybe we should do away with packing supplies to begin with. Create loading docks where we can place item by item into the trunks of our cars.

I'm picturing my large weekly order distributed in reusable bags. I wonder how many of them I'll need to hold all of my items. And do I really want to reuse the bags that hold raw meat, and other leaking perishables? I'm also picturing unloading those numerous amounts of bags, instead of just a few boxes.

There's gotta be some reason here as well, other than adding on more fees & inconveniences
to the consumer shopping for life's basics.

momX4

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:59 pm
I wonder what the store will do if I decide to shop Costco style. Just put everything back into the wagon. I keep a collapsible box in my car for small items. I can do this with my Groceries, everything besides chicken and meat

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:01 pm
momX4 wrote:
I wonder what the store will do if I decide to shop Costco style. Just put everything back into the wagon. I keep a collapsible box in my car for small items. I can do this with my Groceries, everything besides chicken and meat

Where can I get such collapsible boxes? And I like your idea - reload my wagon at the checkout.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:01 pm
Based on this article, counties will have the decision whether to charge for paper bags and it will be .5 cents if they do.
And it seems that for poultry and meat plastic will be allowed. But this all starts in March so why are they charging now?

https://www.democratandchronic.....3002/

momX4

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Where can I get such collapsible boxes? And I like your idea - reload my wagon at the checkout.

I found it in Costco . I'm sure you can find it on Amazon
https://www.costcobusinessdeli......html

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:04 pm
I went to Wesley kosher today and took bags since those are still free. It was soooooo hard to unpack my car. It would have probably been four or five boxes. I think I am gonna just suck it up and pay a few dollars for boxes. No way I can do my shopping any other way.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I don't frequent these stores or live in this area, but could it be that if bags will start to cost money according to the law, people will "take advantage" of the free boxes which used to be an option for people's convenience but now might cost the store a lot more money because they will need to give away a ton more boxes? So they need to start charging for boxes as well

This actually makes a lot of sense. My first reaction when I read the whatsapp message about bags costing money was to turn to my husband and say "ok, so we'll just use boxes from now on"

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:37 pm
I’d keep 3-4 boxes handy, in my garage, prob left open. Then bring it in my trunk when I go shopping, and when I load it into my car just put the items into the boxes and then easily transfer into the house.
Btw my grocery uses the boxes when I make a big order for free. They often use the boxes that the eggs, fruits, or veggies came in and reuse it. But if I just want to take New boxes home then I pay for them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:02 pm
SingALong wrote:
I’d keep 3-4 boxes handy, in my garage, prob left open. Then bring it in my trunk when I go shopping, and when I load it into my car just put the items into the boxes and then easily transfer into the house.
Btw my grocery uses the boxes when I make a big order for free. They often use the boxes that the eggs, fruits, or veggies came in and reuse it. But if I just want to take New boxes home then I pay for them.

My exterminator told me that I shouldn't keep boxes from the store in my house or car because the roaches and other bugs hide out in them and lay eggs etc.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:02 pm
A charge on bags has been instituted in many places and people adjust.

The point is that people purchase reusable bags and so the horrible glut of plastic bags diminishes.

There are still the thin type of plastic bags to put produce as well as meat packages in if you need.

People adjust - they stock bags in the trunk of their car. As others have posted there are many very convenient types of collapsible boxes that can be stashed in the trunk. Some even come with wheels to make it easier to carry stuff into the house. There are also nicely insulated types of bags/boxes which are great for keeping frozen stuff cold.

I don't know these "boxes" people are describing as I am sure you can still get the kind of cardboard boxes that stores get their own items delivered in. I know Costco which has never provided bags still will pack items in these if you need but generally items purchased from Costco go directly from cart to the trunk or back seat of a car.

Once upon a time there was no deposit charged on cans and plastic bottles either and people adjusted and accepted it.

Join the 21st century where most people are trying to lessen their impact on the world and leave it safer for their children and grandchildren

THE PROBLEM WITH PLASTIC BAGS

Plastic bags start out as fossil fuels and end up as deadly waste in landfills and the ocean. Birds often mistake shredded plastic bags for food, filling their stomachs with toxic debris. For hungry sea turtles, it's nearly impossible to distinguish between jellyfish and floating plastic shopping bags. Fish eat thousands of tons of plastic a year, transferring it up the food chain to bigger fish and marine mammals.

Despite all of this, plastic bags are in almost every American home because retail giants continue to use them for nearly every purchase made in their stores.

10 Facts About Single-use Plastic Bags

Plastic Bag Facts
Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture.
It only takes about 14 plastic bags for the equivalent of the gas required to drive one mile.

The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.

According to Waste Management, only 1 percent of plastic bags are returned for recycling. That means that the average family only recycles 15 bags a year; the rest end up in landfills or as litter.

Up to 80 percent of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land.

At least 267 different species have been affected by plastic pollution in the ocean.

100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.

One in three leatherback sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs.

Plastic bags are used for an average of 12 minutes.

It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:03 pm
momX4 wrote:
I found it in Costco . I'm sure you can find it on Amazon
https://www.costcobusinessdeli......html

I have a bunch of these too and they come in so handy. They stack nicely, they collapse nicely (just watch your fingers when you open them Wink ) -- no more things rolling in my trunk! I carry a bunch of stuff to my basement freezer in them. We use them all the time.

Metukah

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
In the uk we've had to pay for plastic bags for a while now.

Most kosher shops dont charge tho.

The kosher shops are not required to. The carrier bag charge only applies to large business (those with 250 or more employees).

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:19 pm
shmosmom wrote:

Read up on the reports on reusable bags. The reusable bags that people are buying are not recyclable and are not being used for as long as expected. When thrown out instead of being reused, they are worse for the environment than the disposable bags.

https://qz.com/1759150/reusabl.....orse/

forgetit

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:32 am
If they charge for boxes, they should fill it up all the way. My boxes come half empty. Anyone else?

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
Read up on the reports on reusable bags. The reusable bags that people are buying are not recyclable and are not being used for as long as expected. When thrown out instead of being reused, they are worse for the environment than the disposable bags.

https://qz.com/1759150/reusabl.....orse/

Yep. I always reuse my disposable bags.

I've had many reusable bags that fell apart after only a few uses.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:13 am
I live in LA where we have had to pay for plastic bags for a while now. The thin type to bag individual onions etc are still available for no cost but the grocery bags cost 10 cents each. I bring cloth bags (I have a bag of bags I grab from my car and stick in the cart at the store) and reuse. Every few trips I wash them in the machine- hate the waste of water/soap/electricity etc but I tend to throw a few bags in with my towels or rags so it wouldn't be a load of their own.
DH keeps forgetting to bring and the cost adds up... But then I use those plastic bags to line garbage cans etc. I don't waste them. But they aren't recyclable as they are a thicker plastic which kind of defeats the whole idea...

It is something to get used to but it is not that crazy. Some of the other bans are though. Yes I wish I didn't have to think twice and they were free but since it is the law and I can't change that- I just accept and work around it. Don't freak out, its not the end of the world...

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:28 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Its a tax instituted by the government not the stores

It seems the Jewish stores are taking full advantage because the charge for bags in New York doesn't start until March.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics