Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Egg boxes at Evergreen and Wesley Kosher now cost 50 cents
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

baby12x

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:41 am
The problem is that all these workarounds- like keeping bags and boxes in your car (which you should do!) are only great if you have a car.

If you don't have a car and have to walk or take public transport then this makes it all the more difficult.

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:21 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Its a tax instituted by the government not the stores

Not on the boxes, the tax is on the plastic bags. Every box that has their logo stamped on I bet costs more than fifty cents. Go simple and there would be no need to take advantage of loyal customers.

baby12x

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:49 am
happyone wrote:
Not on the boxes, the tax is on the plastic bags. Every box that has their logo stamped on I bet costs more than fifty cents. Go simple and there would be no need to take advantage of loyal customers.

Stores also usually have lots of extra boxes from deliveries that they get.

I wonder if they would let people use those instead of paying.

(I don't live in Monsey- just spitballing here)

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:19 am
baby12x wrote:
Stores also usually have lots of extra boxes from deliveries that they get.

I wonder if they would let people use those instead of paying.

(I don't live in Monsey- just spitballing here)

I do that in Costco. I go to the corner of the store where they have hundreds of boxes waiting to be flattened, I pick my sizes and thats how I carry my smaller items and fruit/veggies in my order home.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:51 am
where we live, plastig bags at grocery stores always costed 30c. now you can choose between a plastic bag for n30c and a cotton bag for 69c or a very durable and large recycled plastic (or degradable) bag for 89c.

eggs are sold in recycled cardboard containers, which they dont charge for.

deliveries are packed in free recyclable unvbleached cardbord boxes.

everyone I know brings their own reusable bag. if you run out of space or forgot you purchase anew one. we just keep them in the car/stroller.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
A charge on bags has been instituted in many places and people adjust.

The point is that people purchase reusable bags and so the horrible glut of plastic bags diminishes.

There are still the thin type of plastic bags to put produce as well as meat packages in if you need.

People adjust - they stock bags in the trunk of their car. As others have posted there are many very convenient types of collapsible boxes that can be stashed in the trunk. Some even come with wheels to make it easier to carry stuff into the house. There are also nicely insulated types of bags/boxes which are great for keeping frozen stuff cold.

I don't know these "boxes" people are describing as I am sure you can still get the kind of cardboard boxes that stores get their own items delivered in. I know Costco which has never provided bags still will pack items in these if you need but generally items purchased from Costco go directly from cart to the trunk or back seat of a car.

Once upon a time there was no deposit charged on cans and plastic bottles either and people adjusted and accepted it.

Join the 21st century where most people are trying to lessen their impact on the world and leave it safer for their children and grandchildren

THE PROBLEM WITH PLASTIC BAGS

Plastic bags start out as fossil fuels and end up as deadly waste in landfills and the ocean. Birds often mistake shredded plastic bags for food, filling their stomachs with toxic debris. For hungry sea turtles, it's nearly impossible to distinguish between jellyfish and floating plastic shopping bags. Fish eat thousands of tons of plastic a year, transferring it up the food chain to bigger fish and marine mammals.

Despite all of this, plastic bags are in almost every American home because retail giants continue to use them for nearly every purchase made in their stores.

10 Facts About Single-use Plastic Bags

Plastic Bag Facts
Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture.
It only takes about 14 plastic bags for the equivalent of the gas required to drive one mile.

The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.

According to Waste Management, only 1 percent of plastic bags are returned for recycling. That means that the average family only recycles 15 bags a year; the rest end up in landfills or as litter.

Up to 80 percent of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land.

At least 267 different species have been affected by plastic pollution in the ocean.

100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.

One in three leatherback sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs.

Plastic bags are used for an average of 12 minutes.

It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.

Nature is beginning to catch up. Scientists have found a microbe that can degrade plastic (Ideonella sakaiensis). It will take some time to develop a synthetic version of it and bring it to market, but it will be here sooner or later. So there's no need for all this worry and concern.

The marvel of the world that Hashem created!

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:23 am
baby12x wrote:
The problem is that all these workarounds- like keeping bags and boxes in your car (which you should do!) are only great if you have a car.

If you don't have a car and have to walk or take public transport then this makes it all the more difficult.

I walk to certain stores- I keep bags in my stroller/purse or even stick my purse inside a big bag and carry it that way! How do you usually bring your groceries home? They make bags that fold up and become key chains etc...

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:29 am
baby12x wrote:

Do you live in monsey? In monsey most people either drive which is not an issue. Or if they take taxi or walk (which is a large majority) they always did delivery which forces the person to pay for the boxes. I walk to the grocery and back I can’t shlep my old boxes back and taking home the order would cost me more then the delivery charge and boxes charge. We are in a rut here. Also in monsey we pay way more for groceries, meet and fish then in the city so this just adds a way bigger expense.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Do you live in monsey? In monsey most people either drive which is not an issue. Or if they take taxi or walk (which is a large majority) they always did delivery which forces the person to pay for the boxes. I walk to the grocery and back I can’t shlep my old boxes back and taking home the order would cost me more then the delivery charge and boxes charge. We are in a rut here. Also in monsey we pay way more for groceries, meet and fish then in the city so this just adds a way bigger expense.

The idea behind the tax on bags is to encourage people to purchase reusable bags, like canvas bags. They work very well for people who walk to the grocery.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:37 am
Are the reusable shopping bags washable?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:41 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Are the reusable shopping bags washable?

Yes. Here is an example.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G.....0cnVl

or like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X.....0cnVl

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
The idea behind the tax on bags is to encourage people to purchase reusable bags, like canvas bags. They work very well for people who walk to the grocery.

I go to the grocery once a week and my order is $450 average reusable bags not really an option so if I would have to walk home with a few items fine buying one bag for .10 or bringing a reusable bag but not feasible for much more.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Nature is beginning to catch up. Scientists have found a microbe that can degrade plastic (Ideonella sakaiensis). It will take some time to develop a synthetic version of it and bring it to market, but it will be here sooner or later. So there's no need for all this worry and concern.

The marvel of the world that Hashem created!

You are missing the point. It takes resources to manufacture bags that are thrown away.

It’s wasteful and much better to use bags that can be used fir a relatively long period of time. Either canvas or the durable ones that every grocery store sells now.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:07 pm
I go to the grocery once a week and my order is $450 average reusable bags not really an option so if I would have to walk home with a few items fine buying one bag for .10 or bringing a reusable bag but not feasible for much more.

Why is it necessary to use disposable bags. You can use as much bags as you need to carry as much as you can carry in plastic bags.

In my experience the bags are actually better than the plastic bags anyway.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:08 pm

I really don't understand - why is one kind of bag an option, and another kind of bag isn't?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:18 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I really don't understand - why is one kind of bag an option, and another kind of bag isn't?

I don’t use bags I use boxes which are a charge of .50 each now.

Besides you missed half the comments it seems.

I don’t drive, I walk to the grocery which I can’t do shlepping a bunch of bags! In monsey a majority of the people have there orders delivered cause they walk or take taxis they don’t drive!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:18 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Why is it necessary to use disposable bags. You can use as much bags as you need to carry as much as you can carry in plastic bags.

In my experience the bags are actually better than the plastic bags anyway.

It would be nice if people read all the comments before saying stupid comments

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:26 pm
I don’t use bags I use boxes which are a charge of .50 each now.

Besides you missed half the comments it seems.

I don’t drive, I walk to the grocery which I can’t do shlepping a bunch of bags! In monsey a majority of the people have there orders delivered cause they walk or take taxis they don’t drive!

I read your comments - I misunderstood what you wrote.

Do you walk to the grocery, and then have your groceries boxed up and delivered? I thought you walk back and forth from the grocery store. You do that carrying boxes?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:26 pm
So the specific issue is that Jewish grocery stores in Monsey use "new" boxes which are branded with their name to make deliveries.

These branded boxes used to be free and now there is a charge of 50 cents per box?

The answer is fairly obvious as their costs for delivery have gone up and so this is a way of recouping the delivery costs so they don't have to raise prices. If they raise prices, people who don't use delivery and don't need boxes would be hit with the higher prices. By charging for boxes, they are only raising prices for the specific service that people are using for and are willing to pay for.

This is the way most businesses determine their business model. Which way makes the most sense to cover their rising costs - labor, utilities and other overhead items. These stores are using a targeted price increase which impacts only those people who want the boxes.

I have no idea what these boxes look like but I would assume they are more like moving boxes than boxes which are free at Costco.

estreya

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:30 pm
Consider yourselves lucky -- we have been paying for plastic bags (in Canada) for quite a while now.

The cartons for eggs? That's a new one. Hope they don't do that here.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics