Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Has anyone identified "Waldo" at the Siyum Hashas today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I know him and he is shocked that it went viral. He does things like this all the time and never got such feedback before.
I think it was a great way to bring more joy to the day. He made so many people smile!

I thought this was really hysterical:

Worth 5 pages of complete nothing just for this!

I mean seriously WHO CARES?! I kept saying if my husband would have gone I would have sent him in a hot pink sweater to be able to
See him on the cameras. Because otherwise it’s ALL black. Especially in the winter when even those that don’t wear black hat and suit are wearing dark colored coats and ski hats!

I mean really honestly this guy is a marketing genius!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:35 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

I mean seriously WHO CARES?! I kept saying if my husband would have gone I would have sent him in a hot pink sweater to be able to
See him on the cameras. Because otherwise it’s ALL black. Especially in the winter when even those that don’t wear black hat and suit are wearing dark colored coats and ski hats!

A friend of mine told me her father went and wore a yellow hat. (I know he does wear a black hat - saw him wear it at her wedding, lol, but not sure what he wears during the week. So I can't be sure if he wore it to stand out for the cameras or not.)

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:19 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

.marketing genius? He got his face and name out there but probably dropped off the radar for many potential shidduchim. it's a negative marketing tool unless he takes the girl in the sweater posted above or some other attention seeking weirdo.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
.marketing genius? He got his face and name out there but probably dropped off the radar for many potential shidduchim. it's a negative marketing tool unless he takes the girl in the sweater posted above or some other attention seeking weirdo.
Are you kidding? There are most definitely many females out there that found this to be very endearing. Many on this thread thought so, and there are many single women who 100% thought so too.
Not everything is a negative for shidduchim.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:33 pm

Well we'll, Aren't you nasty?
It's a pity your not posting under your screen name so we can take u off the radar for potential shidduchim...
If he got off the radar for potential shidduchim with ppl like you, kol hakovod to him! Easy way to dodge a bullet!
Everyone should copy him!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:53 pm

Apparently he's being bombarded with shidduch resumes. Many people appreciate a frum guy with a sense of humor. The people who won't go out with him because he wore this probably weren't right for him anyway.

Let's be real. It is a man's world in shidduchim anyway so very little would actually disqualify him.

lilies

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:56 pm
For those thinking it's a mockery - that's going too far. If a distinguished Rabbi on the podium would be dressed this way then yes.
I happen to think this is more a reflection of the beauty of Klal Yisrael and brilliantly done.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Quote:
There are a lot of people who are serious learners, whether from 9-5 or 5-9, who find that the daf schedule isn't an efficient use of their time. They still may have gone through all of Shas, or if not, have learned quite a lot. And as Misytrose says, they enjoyed the experience and inspiration. Maybe that's how women can enjoy it too Wink

Thanks, PinkFridge Smile

Just to clarify - I meant that Waldo should have had plenty of time to learn shas, based on his time travel abilities. But yes, my husband, among many others, is currently still learning and has not yet been mesayem shas, and doing the Daf isn't for him right now. Doesn't mean it will never happen, but he's learning more b'iyun.

Don't worry, I think you were clear about Waldo.
And I think it's important to point out - as we both did - that some people start and don't finish. It doesn't mean that they're not learning at all, it might well mean that they decided to do something different with their time, but they are learning. I was glad to hear some of the speakers make this point clearly, that the goal is to learn consistently and the Daf is a great vehicle but not the only way.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 4:04 pm

I dunno, my whatsapp chats were buzzing like crazy with people asking for his shidduch resume.

banana123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Cmon this is so cool.

That is confidence, and creative.

I love it.

At all these events, even in crowded shuls, I feel like I'm playing "Where's Waldo?" to find one person. This guy took it literally and did it so well. Very Happy

banana123

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I know him and he is shocked that it went viral. He does things like this all the time and never got such feedback before.
I think it was a great way to bring more joy to the day. He made so many people smile!

I thought this was really hysterical:

Who is she?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:00 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Are you kidding? There are most definitely many females out there that found this to be very endearing. Many on this thread thought so, and there are many single women who 100% thought so too.
Not everything is a negative for shidduchim.

It’s not just this thread. People have been asking about him on WhatsApp chats and on fb, for shiduchim.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Well we'll, Aren't you nasty?
It's a pity your not posting under your screen name so we can take u off the radar for potential shidduchim...
If he got off the radar for potential shidduchim with ppl like you, kol hakovod to him! Easy way to dodge a bullet!
Everyone should copy him!

It’s a shame that YOU chose to go amother when calling another poster nasty.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:13 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s not just this thread. People have been asking about him on WhatsApp chats and on fb, for shiduchim.
I know Smile Its all over the web Smile
I think its great.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:17 pm
My sister pointed out a continuing double standard in the frum world.

Remember the Dor Yeshorim video put out by a couple of girls from a BY high school a few years ago?

The girl who made the rap was vilified and many said it would kill her shidduch prospects. She was brought to tears over the nastiness from "frum" men and bochurim about her.

Yet a frum guy does something very similar which makes many people laugh and he's bombarded with requests for his shidduch resume. His phone is ringing off the hook.

I know there are those who will say that there's no comparison, but actually, what he did is closer to leitzanus than what she did. What's wrong with making a playful rap about Dor Yeshorim? I personally find the Waldo costume hilarious, but I can see how someone would perceive it as inappropriate.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:19 pm
banana123 wrote:
Who is she?

She is a frum girl who attended the Jimmy Kimmel show a few weeks ago and had the misfortune to be chosen to win an ugly Christm@s sweater. There was a lot of controversy in the RW community over her acceptance of the sweater and the fact that she shook Kimmel's hand.

Seems like they'd make a good pair of controversials Smile

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Remember the Dor Yeshorim video put out by a couple of girls from a BY high school a few years ago?

The girl who made the rap was vilified and many said it would kill her shidduch prospects. She was brought to tears over the nastiness from "frum" men and bochurim about her.

Yet a frum guy does something very similar which makes many people laugh and he's bombarded with requests for his shidduch resume. His phone is ringing off the hook.

I know there are those who will say that there's no comparison, but actually, what he did is closer to leitzanus than what she did. What's wrong with making a playful rap about Dor Yeshorim? I personally find the Waldo costume hilarious, but I can see how someone would perceive it as inappropriate.

there was a nasty reaction to this guy too. (If I had to guess - from the same 'crowd' who were offended by the girls).

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:34 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I never saw the dor yishorim video, but I don’t think either is bad. It’s ok to have a good time. Unfortunately, people are scared of those who know how to relax and chill and have a good time, while still remaining(!!!! Is it even possible?!?!) frum.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:37 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

And here in lies most of the problem here. There is NOT only one type of frum jew. Not all frum men wear black and white with a hat and not all women wear wigs. Some men wear colorful clothing and some women wear mitpachot.
Some people found the joy in what this person did and others dissected it beyond belief to the point of no return and to where judaism looses all of its joy.

I have no idea what video you are referring to, but in my religious world, these things are not looked upon in a bad way at all. And I feel like this is saying more about the people that are looking for shidduchim than about the frum world at large.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I loved that rap. I thought it was really brilliant, and it made me chuckle. I'm so sorry that people hurt her for it Sad

Do you know her? Where did she go in life?
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries