Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I truly hope you aren't being serious.

I am being serious. If your husband has a job and responsibilities in your city/state and you decide to move to an entire new country even though you/your husband have no job(s), family, or a legitimate reason to move to that particular country then would your husband just give up everything and move for you? Would you do it if your husband asked you to?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:01 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Of course it makes a difference. Millions of dollars was spent for his wedding and housing, if he didnt want to live this lifestyle then it wasnt fair to ask the taxpayers to pay for his needs. The money could have gone to charity instead of an extravagant wedding/housing for someone who doesnt appreciate it or want it altogether. That is what we call being mentchlich or a decent human being.

By leaving before he was married he would have shown that he has a backbone and is an independent, autonomous adult. But he didnt leave until after he was married and had a kid which means that he can be easily manipulated by people like Meghan who is the mastermind behind this move (because again, Harry could have done this on his own before he married and had a child but didnt do that so he didnt really want to leave).

If you are worried about the finances of the UK, the wedding was actually a money maker for GB. It brought in huge amounts of tourist dollars. I believe the monarchy as a whole is a financial windfall for the UK as well as having importance to the "government" of the country. I am completely not a monarchist as I think the idea is essentially ludicrous but there is much to be said for a system of government in which the political apparatus of the country is completely separately from the "symbolism" of the nation. In the US, we have tied the two together which is not necessarily ideal either.

Before he married, he pretty much flew under the radar. After he got married his life and his new family's life was the source of endless and ugly press coverage.

I still don't understand why anyone feels they *know* exactly what he is like - what the marriage is like - what the reasons for leaving are. From what has been stated by valid sources - I.e. interview with him and actual statements by the monarchy, he does suffer from depression and has other psychological issues which are probably exacerbated by the kind of attention he and his wife and now his son are subjected to.

Nor do I understand why people think his leaving is such a horrendous thing. He is not abdicating from any real function in the "Firm". So far neither he nor his wife have done anything indicating that they intend to disgrace or exploit the monarchy. At such time as they do something that is objectively exhibiting such behavior, then one can judge the actions rather than all of this ridiculous speculation that somehow this was all a grand scheme by Meghan. The idea is kind of funny - he was a 33 year old man of the world with extensive life experiences and yet somehow he was put under a spell by this upstart who had a grand scheme to marry him and alienate him from his family. Banging head Banging head

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
If you are worried about the finances of the UK, the wedding was actually a money maker for GB. It brought in huge amounts of tourist dollars. I believe the monarchy as a whole is a financial windfall for the UK as well as having importance to the "government" of the country. I am completely not a monarchist as I think the idea is essentially ludicrous but there is much to be said for a system of government in which the political apparatus of the country is completely separately from the "symbolism" of the nation. In the US, we have tied the two together which is not necessarily ideal either.

Before he married, he pretty much flew under the radar. After he got married his life and his new family's life was the source of endless and ugly press coverage.

I still don't understand why anyone feels they *know* exactly what he is like - what the marriage is like - what the reasons for leaving are. From what has been stated by valid sources - I.e. interview with him and actual statements by the monarchy, he does suffer from depression and has other psychological issues which are probably exacerbated by the kind of attention he and his wife and now his son are subjected to.

Nor do I understand why people think his leaving is such a horrendous thing. He is not abdicating from any real function in the "Firm". So far neither he nor his wife have done anything indicating that they intend to disgrace or exploit the monarchy. At such time as they do something that is objectively exhibiting such behavior, then one can judge the actions rather than all of this ridiculous speculation that somehow this was all a grand scheme by Meghan. The idea is kind of funny - he was a 33 year old man of the world with extensive life experiences and yet somehow he was put under a spell by this upstart who had a grand scheme to marry him and alienate him from his family. Banging head Banging head

I agree with most of your post, but the bolded is wrong. He was a 33yo man of the world who suffered (still suffers) severe depression and PTSD, and he found a woman who makes him happy and was willing to marry him. Whether that happiness was true and she is good, or feel-good and she is abusive, we probably won't know anytime soon (if ever). But it completely makes sense to say that he could have been put under a spell by an upstart with a grand scheme. He would be just the right kind of person to become a victim of domestic abuse, and all the risk factors are there and were visible before Meghan appeared on the scene.

For Harry's sake and especially for Archie's I hope Meghan is a good woman who is good to them. Right now that's what I'm assuming because I have no proof otherwise.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:12 pm
I am being serious. If your husband has a job and responsibilities in your city/state and you decide to move to an entire new country even though you/your husband have no job(s), family, or a legitimate reason to move to that particular country then would your husband just give up everything and move for you? Would you do it if your husband asked you to?

My comment reagariding "are you being serious" was respect your comment that I "confirmed" something. I'm not Harry or Meghan, nor anyone they confide in. I didn't confirm anything. (and I was also just following a line of thought. I have no idea what happened here).

I'll make it more personal. If we were to make aliyah right now my husband would find himself moving from a good job / career to a job (if he can get one) for far less pay. It would affect his mental health and our lifestyle. If I felt more strongly (than I currently do) about making aliyah - I would expect we would go as a family.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:21 pm
Amarante wrote:

Can you post a link showing that the wedding was a money maker for GB?

If you dont want to discuss this then you can just skip the thread and move on to another thread instead of trying to shut down a conversation.

If he is suffering from depression and PTSD then he should be in therapy and surrounded by loving family to help him deal with it instead of just running away to another country. It just occurred to me that Meghan may have used Archie as a bargaining chip to manipulate Harry into moving to Canada. She may have said that she is leaving and that he wont see Archie again. Not saying this happened but its possible at least based on everything I have read about her so far. I hope that that is not the case though especially if Harry is vulnerable to manipulative people because of his depression and ptsd.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:22 pm

My husband did this. For me. Am I Meghan now?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 3:25 pm
Can you post a link showing that the wedding was a money maker for GB?

If you dont want to discuss this then you can just skip the thread and move on to another thread instead of trying to shut down a conversation.

If he is suffering from depression and PTSD then he should be in therapy and surrounded by loving family to help him deal with it instead of just running away to another country. It just occurred to me that Meghan may have used Archie as a bargaining chip to manipulate Harry into moving to Canada. She may have said that she is leaving and that he wont see Archie again. Not saying this happened but its possible at least based on everything I have read about her so far. I hope that that is not the case though especially if Harry is vulnerable to manipulative people because of his depression and ptsd.

It's pretty universally accepted that the Monarchy and all of the pomp and ceremony and the extra special stuff like weddings bring in a lot of money for the UK. You can google it for many links

Much of the wedding itself was paid for by the Crown's personal funds and expenses relating to security, police etc were paid for by the government.

Here's the clearest one I could find

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-a.....ding/

The Express adds that Harry and Meghan's wedding reportedly cost £8 million more than William and Kate’s Westminster Abbey wedding in 2011, with the increase widely believed due to an increased terrorist threat resulting in more money needing to be spent on the security of the royals, guest and the public.

While the cost of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding may seem ludicrous to some, it's worth noting their big day was predicted to inject approximately £80m into the country’s economy.

Weeks before the wedding, tourist authority VisitBritain predicted close to 50,000 Americans were expected to be among the crowds lining the roads in Windsor. Meanwhile, pubs were given special permission to stay open late, and retailers in London's shopping district were anticipating a £60m sales boom on the back of tourist spending sprees.

The Guardian also reported that Airbnb hosts were predicted to rake in £12m from renting out their properties, with residents in Windsor possibly earning £353 from the wedding weekend alone by using the online marketplace to let their properties.

So, when you think of it, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's pricey wedding actually did us Brits a favour!

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:54 pm
Amarante wrote:
It's pretty universally accepted that the Monarchy and all of the pomp and ceremony and the extra special stuff like weddings bring in a lot of money for the UK. You can google it for many links

Much of the wedding itself was paid for by the Crown's personal funds and expenses relating to security, police etc were paid for by the government.

Here's the clearest one I could find

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-a.....ding/

The Express adds that Harry and Meghan's wedding reportedly cost £8 million more than William and Kate’s Westminster Abbey wedding in 2011, with the increase widely believed due to an increased terrorist threat resulting in more money needing to be spent on the security of the royals, guest and the public.

While the cost of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding may seem ludicrous to some, it's worth noting their big day was predicted to inject approximately £80m into the country’s economy.

Weeks before the wedding, tourist authority VisitBritain predicted close to 50,000 Americans were expected to be among the crowds lining the roads in Windsor. Meanwhile, pubs were given special permission to stay open late, and retailers in London's shopping district were anticipating a £60m sales boom on the back of tourist spending sprees.

The Guardian also reported that Airbnb hosts were predicted to rake in £12m from renting out their properties, with residents in Windsor possibly earning £353 from the wedding weekend alone by using the online marketplace to let their properties.

So, when you think of it, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's pricey wedding actually did us Brits a favour!

I’m impressed.

I think what people are trying to say is that Prince Harry, not being heir to the throne, didn’t need to have such a large wedding. His uncle, Prince Edward, didn’t have his wedding televised. Prince Harry, according to his defenders, is suffering some kind of horrible negative reaction to any publicity. If that’s true, then he could have asked not to televise his wedding to the masses and have had a more private affair. He could have chosen not to post pictures from the private reception on his Instagram page. These choices would have been respected by the royal family, as he was already way down the line of succession by that point. But he didn’t.

In other words, his actions belie his words. Fame is a cruel mistress, and if you feed it, you won’t always like what you get back. Their problem is that they want adulation without working for it, and without suffering any negative feedback for their attempts to maintain their media image.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:06 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I’m impressed.

I think what people are trying to say is that Prince Harry, not being heir to the throne, didn’t need to have such a large wedding. His uncle, Prince Edward, didn’t have his wedding televised. Prince Harry, according to his defenders, is suffering some kind of horrible negative reaction to any publicity. If that’s true, then he could have asked not to televise his wedding to the masses and have had a more private affair. He could have chosen not to post pictures from the private reception on his Instagram page. These choices would have been respected by the royal family, as he was already way down the line of succession by that point. But he didn’t.

In other words, his actions belie his words. Fame is a cruel mistress, and if you feed it, you won’t always like what you get back. Their problem is that they want adulation without working for it, and without suffering any negative feedback for their attempts to maintain their media image.

oh, please. I believe it is pretty difficult to be Prince Harry despite the money, and the "splendor". He could have. He should have. What else should he have done? Can a person really predict consequences?
We do see that he did not post pictures of Archie right away. Maybe because of all those wagging tongues...

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:08 pm
Amarante wrote:

Finally, someone talking sense here.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:44 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I’m impressed.

The bolded isn't supportable.

If I'm following - your theory is that Meghan married Harry to have a fancy wedding. Is that correct?

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:51 pm
She married him for fame. She invited celebrities her and harry never met to the wedding. There's no way beyonce or the Clooney's would've looked at her without harry.

She s a social climber

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
oh, please. I believe it is pretty difficult to be Prince Harry despite the money, and the "splendor". He could have. He should have. What else should he have done? Can a person really predict consequences?
We do see that he did not post pictures of Archie right away. Maybe because of all those wagging tongues...

I think its bc meghan wanted to use archie to gain followers on her Instagram. That's why she didn't allow photographers by the christening. Her insta got all the traffic from anyone who wanted to see photos

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:56 pm
Sebastian wrote:
She married him for fame. She invited celebrities her and harry never met to the wedding. There's no way beyonce or the Clooney's would've looked at her without harry.

She s a social climber

She already had fame.

How does moving (back) to Canada fit into this narrative?

(As a Canadian who used to live a 20 minute walk from Meghan - I find all this hilarious)

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:58 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I think its bc meghan wanted to use archie to gain followers on her Instagram. That's why she didn't allow photographers by the christening. Her insta got all the traffic from anyone who wanted to see photos

Is her insta monitized?

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
She already had fame.

How does moving (back) to Canada fit into this narrative?

(As a Canadian who used to live a 20 minute walk from Meghan - I find all this hilarious)

There are limitations placed on royals. For example they cant make commercial deals and say say anything about politics. I think meghan is tired of the rules and wants to move to get away from it (put still keep the royal perks)

Insta isn't monetized. You make money from sponsors that you attract by having a lot of followers

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:17 pm
Of course it makes a difference. Millions of dollars was spent for his wedding and housing, if he didnt want to live this lifestyle then it wasnt fair to ask the taxpayers to pay for his needs. The money could have gone to charity instead of an extravagant wedding/housing for someone who doesnt appreciate it or want it altogether. That is what we call being mentchlich or a decent human being.

By leaving before he was married he would have shown that he has a backbone and is an independent, autonomous adult. But he didnt leave until after he was married and had a kid which means that he can be easily manipulated by people like Meghan who is the mastermind behind this move (because again, Harry could have done this on his own before he married and had a child but didnt do that so he didnt really want to leave).

The tax payers benefit. Supporting the royal family is not a loss

Supposedly the wedding injected 1 billion dollars into the British economy and brought 3 million additional tourists.

Imagine if Disney has her do the voiceover of a princess. Now that could generate millions.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tru.....eo%2F

And anything she wears sells out immidietly. So fashion is a money maker.

And they can do speaking arrangements and book deals like the obamas.

I don’t think they have To resort to cheesy marketing ofvtheir name to do just fine on their own.

I think instead of being a third wheel royal forever it’s smaxing they are trying to chart their own destiny and give their child a chance at a semi normal life.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:52 pm
If meghan loses her title she will be a nobody just like Fergie is

if she keeps it, she cant use it to make money

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:55 pm
Sebastian wrote:
If meghan loses her title she will be a nobody just like Fergie is

Fergie still has a title, and isn't married to the brother of the future king.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:56 pm
Sebastian wrote:
There are limitations placed on royals. For example they cant make commercial deals and say say anything about politics. I think meghan is tired of the rules and wants to move to get away from it (put still keep the royal perks)

Insta isn't monetized. You make money from sponsors that you attract by having a lot of followers

Does she have sponsors?
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics