Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Her name is Meghan.

Actually, her name is Rachel. She started using her middle name (which you correctly say is Meghan) in high school.

Speculation is that it’s not that they get too much press, but, rather, the shock of the recent succession photo. They’re way down the chain, just semi interesting footnotes. And they don’t like that.

But as others say, who cares. Let them do whatever they want. And pay their own way doing it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:20 pm
Recently taxpayers paid for renovations of her home in England and her wedding

Metukah

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

There is a rumor going around that the palace repeatedly uses the phrase "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets".

A few members of her staff resigned because she was so difficult to work for.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:49 pm
I'm hopeless
spending way too much time on this story than on my own problems

nylon

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:52 pm
Part of the renovations were paid for because Frogmore Cottage is considered part of the Crown Estate. So the structural works were paid for, just like works on Buckingham Palace were paid for. Harry & Meghan were responsible for furnishings, fitting a kitchen, other personal items, and don't own the house. There are strict rules about what is and isn't paid for and they're not up to Harry and Meghan. Apparently Frogmore Cottage was already slated for renovations, which may have been why it was chosen to begin with.

I have no idea what sort of person she is, but I really don't see how anyone can decide she's a narcissist without ever meeting her. And the tabloids are always "Palace sources said..." How do you know they said that? Or that they were telling the truth if they did? The papers were hugely invested in the drama and wanted to ramp it up to sell more copies. I don't believe a thing they print to be honest. And Harry's known forever that he'd be bumped down as soon as William had kids so that can't be a shock.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 7:59 pm
nylon, she has a history of ghosting ppl once she no longer considers them useful.

(Her first husband, best friend, her chef boy friend, her uncle, her father, piers morgan, her former pr later etc.) You can say don't believe the press but all their stories sound EXACTLY the same.

I predict her and Harry divorcing within the year.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do you think they will loose their titles?

I hope so. They claim to be progressive and are giving up an archaic lifestyle to pursue progressive interests. Well, guess what? Having a royal title is archaic and makes them look like hypocrites. The same with holding on to Harry's trust fund, if they want to become "financially independent" then they should give up his trust fund altogether and get himself a job to support his family otherwise they look like hypocrites. He can use the trust fund to repay the taxpayers who paid for his wedding and other services while he was part of the royal family.

As an aside, did anyone else notice that Meghan and Harry made their announcement around Kates birthday thus overshadowing the birthday celebration for Kate? They could have made the announcement a week or two later but no, they had to do it to around Kates birthday. That is the epitome of narcissism, ruining special occasions of family members. They just couldnt deal with the fact that Kate was getting some attention and had to ruin it for her. I say good riddance to them. They dont deserve to be in the royal family as they have no class and will not hesitate to ruin special occasions of other family members.
I just hope that Archie does not get hurt in all this and has some sort of normal life considering who his parents are.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:10 pm
I hope they don’t ever get divorced for archies sake

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:16 pm
Sebastian wrote:
nylon, she has a history of ghosting ppl once she no longer considers them useful.

(Her first husband, best friend, her chef boy friend, her uncle, her father, piers morgan, her former pr later etc.) You can say don't believe the press but all their stories sound EXACTLY the same.

I predict her and Harry divorcing within the year.

This may also be a calculated reason why Meghan made this move, the family royal money is presumably protected by law but if she alienates Harry from the family then the money from his own trust fund would no longer be protected by the royal family and he can lose everything. This is scary and comes across as very well orchestrated and pre-meditated. Classic narcissistic gold digger, marry a rich guy, alienate him from his family, divorce him, and take all his money (some of them just marry an old rich guy and wait til he dies then take the money instead of allowing his family to inherit it). I just hope that he was smart enough to have her sign a prenup, otherwise he stands to lose his multi-million dollar trust fund.
Does anyone know anything more about how the royal money is protected from gold diggers and if Harry's trust fund would still be protected even if they distance themselves from the family?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:24 pm
As an aside, did anyone else notice that Meghan and Harry made their announcement around Kates birthday thus overshadowing the birthday celebration for Kate? They could have made the announcement a week or two later but no, they had to do it to around Kates birthday. That is the epitome of narcissism, ruining special occasions of family members. They just couldnt deal with the fact that Kate was getting some attention and had to ruin it for her. I say good riddance to them. They dont deserve to be in the royal family as they have no class and will not hesitate to ruin special occasions of other family members.
I just hope that Archie does not get hurt in all this and has some sort of normal life considering who his parents are.[/quote]

Yup! And this seems to be a running theme - they announced her pregnancy right after (and at) the wedding of one of the princesses, thereby ensuring that the coverage of the baby news overshadowed that of the wedding. She was only 12 weeks pregnant and still super thin- she didn’t need to wear that belted dress at the wedding, which only stoked rumors, and then announce it the next day. This bothered me about her.

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:30 pm
potatoes wrote:
I believe I read somewhere they are doing this (also) to become financially independent. Does that mean they will no longer take royal funds?

They are bowing out of the royalty, yet wording it nicely as respect to the queen and saying how they will do what is expected of them to continue respecting her majesty. (Seems more like to protect themselves from being accused of disrespecting the royal family, not because they are looking to keep the title)

I say- kol hakavod! Go live your lives happily ever after, as you wish. Let your kid have a normal life. Like, why not? Seriously.
Its not like he has any power in the UK, the Queen herself is just a figure head. So who cares to stay part of that, with all the paparazzi.

They are still taking royal funds. They still expect to live in land owned by the royal family, rent free, and refurbished with taxpayer money. They will still collect money from the Duchy of Cornwall, which is a fund specifically given to the Prince of Wales, collected by income from royal properties. They are only relinquishing a small portion of the royal funds, which is from the Sovereign Grant. That grant only pays a small portion of their overall lifestyle, because it is so very grand at the moment. It covers costs incurred by the couple during royal tours or royally mandated outings.

I would agree with you, but they don't want a normal life. They want a celebrity life. They want an instragram-influencer life, complete with the hefty income, and to trade on the familiarity of their names and their titles (SussexRoyals is now trademarked), but without things that bother them that come with it, like people writing about them.

Also, they didn't respect the Queen. If they had, they would have first told her of the plan, and asked the palace to deliver a royal statement when the entire details were worked out. They didn't. They wanted media opinion to force the Queen's hand to let them do as they wished, instead of leaving the details up to her.

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 8:37 pm
nylon wrote:
Part of the renovations were paid for because Frogmore Cottage is considered part of the Crown Estate. So the structural works were paid for, just like works on Buckingham Palace were paid for. Harry & Meghan were responsible for furnishings, fitting a kitchen, other personal items, and don't own the house. There are strict rules about what is and isn't paid for and they're not up to Harry and Meghan. Apparently Frogmore Cottage was already slated for renovations, which may have been why it was chosen to begin with.

I have no idea what sort of person she is, but I really don't see how anyone can decide she's a narcissist without ever meeting her. And the tabloids are always "Palace sources said..." How do you know they said that? Or that they were telling the truth if they did? The papers were hugely invested in the drama and wanted to ramp it up to sell more copies. I don't believe a thing they print to be honest. And Harry's known forever that he'd be bumped down as soon as William had kids so that can't be a shock.

We all agree that renovations are paid for by taxpayers, and that there are strict rules about such things. But it doesn't negate the fact that they now live in an extremely security-protected and comfortable mansion that was largely updated for their use using taxpayer money. Sure, the GOLD BATHTUB was their purchase, but if I only had to pay for furnishings, and could move into an updated house rent free, you wouldn't see me crying over it.

The point is, you can't decide that you don't want anything bad about being royal, but you want all the good that goes along with it. Buy your own house, live in it, and don't take any money from the royal family, and don't expect British taxpayers to pay your extremely pricey security fee, and hey! Do what you like! I could care less about them!

But there's something so stomach churning about two people that want to take a life of charity work that had been parceled out to them, and instead use it to finance a richer lifestyle for two extremely over-privileged human beings that just make me disgusted.

It makes me wonder whether the Jewish people, in the times of Moshiach, would want to reinstate the Jewish kingdom again. The line of succession didn't work so great the first time around, either.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
they got married by a black minister and had a black choir at their wedding
the baby archie looks like he has red hair

Well, with a name like Archie.
I don't really care, and the extent of my following is the brief news snippet on the hourly radio news. It's odd and I suppose sad that William has said that if Harry does this they won't have much of a relationship, or something like that.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I just hope that Archie does not get hurt in all this and has some sort of normal life considering who his parents are.

Yup! And this seems to be a running theme - they announced her pregnancy right after (and at) the wedding of one of the princesses, thereby ensuring that the coverage of the baby news overshadowed that of the wedding. She was only 12 weeks pregnant and still super thin- she didn’t need to wear that belted dress at the wedding, which only stoked rumors, and then announce it the next day. This bothered me about her.[/quote]

And what was with the non-stop belly touching?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:03 pm

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:13 pm
there were plenty of negative headlines about Kate also. I believe she actually broke up with Will at one point b/c of it.

Cherry picking 2 headlines doesn't tell the full story.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:14 pm
(and sorry but Meghan was OBESSESED with touching her bump in a way that Kate was not. I even noticed it in a ribbon cutting ceremony she did. It was strange)

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:26 pm
I don't understand the big deal. At this point, they are very minor royals as there is no likelihood that they or their children will inherit the throne.

People are complicated. The specifically refused a title for their child so I do think they are sincere in trying to figure out a way to normalize their existence. There is precedent for this as other royals not in actual line for the throne have stepped back from their job with the "Firm" so there is precedent for this. From what I have read, protocol is being discussed because of the impact it will have on William's children who will be faced with the same kind of meaningless existence once Louis has married and produced the requisite heirs.

As for taking funds, their grandmother and father are obscenely wealthy. Whether you think the Duchy of Cornwall is actually the property of the people of Great Britain is irrelevant. It was determined that it belongs to the Montbatten Family - separate and apart from those assets of the "Crown" which belong to the "people". What Prince Charles chooses to do with his money is his business just like any other family.

The issue of security is complicated. Even if they are not royal, they are vulnerable and are protected for the security of the national interest just as much as for their personal protection. Imagine the vulnerability if they were captured or killed and possible ramifications for that in terms of global implications.

Who really knows what is going on. From very reliable sources (I.e. not biased UK tabloids) Harry has suffered depression which has been significant at periods of his life and has expressed a desire to step back from the "royal life" for awhile. The family had actually been supportive of this. After all, this is a boy who saw his mother essentially killed by paparazzi chasing her down - and now he sees his family threatened by the same stuff.

I say let them be in peace. What they make of the rest of their life is their decision.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:50 pm
zaq wrote:
Her mother is.

Half black

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 12 2020, 10:55 pm
I'm partial towards blonde little Prince George bc I gave birth the same day! Also to a blonde little boy Very Happy Very Happy
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics