Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of prince Harry and Megan moving to Canada
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:24 am
There’s lots of negativity in the media about every royal. They learned to ignore it and surround themselves with close supporters and listen just to them.
Meghan doesn’t have too much of that aside from her mother and she’s very new.
Kate had a longer time to adjust while dating and until they finally got engaged.
The media and paparazzi are brutal and know how to get you where it hurts most.
I think because they know people will be upset that they aren’t doing their jobs as royals while using tax money, that’s why they said they’re becoming financially independent.
I’m not into meghan at all but totally get it that if she’s feeling unglamorous, stupid, or looked down upon she’d reach this decision.
If people want her to stay they gotta make her feel more comfortable and admired in her role as a royal and be more supportive.
You can’t boo someone and then knock them down from stepping out of the limelight, that’s bullying at its finest, even if they get payed.
And that’s probably why they’re saying they’ll become financially independent and not stealing anyone’s money..... and still support the queen etc.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:36 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Considering about 70% of divorces are initiated by the woman, who usually starts thinking about divorce 2-3 years before she tells her husband of her desire to divorce (and by that time her decision is usually solid and unshakable), this would seem to be a good guess.
I saw a divorce coming when they got engaged. She's already been divorced once and their backgrounds are too dissimilar. And she is an American actress to top it off, those kinds of people usually have bad personal lives so it was never really promising.

This is her third marriage. She had one annulment. She ditched her family.

nechamashifra

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:25 pm
I knew Meghan would be trouble from her first interview where she stated that she's from the US so she "doesn't really know much about the royal family". Right, so from all the men in the world she just "happened" to pick the one prince. When you marry into royalty, you know what you're getting into. Don't come into it and then try to break it up. She already doesn't have a relationship with anyone in her own family apart from her mother, and now she's trying to hurt Harry's relationship with his family, especially his brother who he's always been so close to.
Ok, I know I shouldn't care but I had to get it out because she irked me from the start.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:30 pm
Which marriage and to whom was annulled

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:31 pm
Why is everyone blaming Meghan. If Harry were not already dissatisfied with leading the "royal" life, he wouldn't have made the choices he did.

Why do people care if an inconsequential member of an anachronistic institution decides that he doesn't want to cut ribbons at supermarkets which are essentially what the royal duties consist of for a "junior" member of the Firm who has no conceivable path to the throne. He isn't abdicating - he is choosing to step out of public life.

Time will tell what path he has chosen as they are still able to lead lives in which they support causes they are passionate about. I would doubt that he is planning to sell tea towels for profit nor does he particularly need the income. Their combined net worth is reputed to be about 50 million pounds plus whatever money his family (not the taxpayers) gives him in the future.

nechamashifra

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why is everyone blaming Meghan. If Harry were not already dissatisfied with leading the "royal" life, he wouldn't have made the choices he did.

Why do people care if an inconsequential member of an anachronistic institution decides that he doesn't want to cut ribbons at supermarkets which are essentially what the royal duties consist of.

Time will tell what path he has chosen as they are still able to lead lives in which they support causes they are passionate about. I would doubt that he is planning to sell tea towels for profit nor does he particularly need the income. Their combined net worth is reputed to be about 50 million pounds plus whatever money his family (not the taxpayers) gives him in the future.

Harry was born into it so he was never given a choice. Meghan befeirush made the choice to marry into the royal family and then disrespect them.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 3:42 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Harry was born into it so he was never given a choice. Meghan befeirush made the choice to marry into the royal family and then disrespect them.

All the more reason for both ADULTS to make a choice as to how they want to live their life.

I very much doubt Harry loved the royal life and so was "inveigled" by the evil sorcerer woman to throw everything over.

Perhaps neither of them realized what kind of nightmare existence their family - including their children - would be subjected to.

Frankly, the yentas on this thread would give any sane person reason to avoid the spotlight. All of the projection onto people that you know nothing about and what their thought process were and what kind of pressures they were under. I mean the posts on her cradling her bump and why her doing so was offensive versus Kate only using one hand alone would make me tear out my hair if I were in that position.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:12 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I knew Meghan would be trouble from her first interview where she stated that she's from the US so she "doesn't really know much about the royal family". Right, so from all the men in the world she just "happened" to pick the one prince. When you marry into royalty, you know what you're getting into. Don't come into it and then try to break it up. She already doesn't have a relationship with anyone in her own family apart from her mother, and now she's trying to hurt Harry's relationship with his family, especially his brother who he's always been so close to.
Ok, I know I shouldn't care but I had to get it out because she irked me from the start.

There's pictures of her much younger in England in front of the royal palace. She was a fan of Diana's from way back. She knew exactly what to say to land a prince. She unthruthfully claimed she had no family and manipulated Harry to be her protector.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:50 pm
Amarante wrote:

Why do people care if an inconsequential member of an anachronistic institution decides that he doesn't want to cut ribbons at supermarkets which are essentially what the royal duties consist of for a "junior" member of the Firm who has no conceivable path to the throne. He isn't abdicating - he is choosing to step out of public life.

First of all, their combined net worth has nothing to do with actual cash on hand. The money Meghan made as an actress is probably gone by now, with her $450,000 gown and $300,000 engagement dress, etc etc. She's worth about $6 million, but that's from all her time on Suits, and it's assuming she saved most of it. You have to spend a lot of money to look that good all the time. Harry also got some of his mother's money, but it's really uncertain how much. Maybe about $7million. In the meantime, they've both gone on some pretty pricey vacations and they have staff and personal trainers, etc.

I'm a royal follower, and what I found fascinating are the autobiographies written by Fergie and other biographies on royal members in similar positions. If you'll recall, Andrew is Prince Charles' younger brother, and he and his wife famously went into bankruptcy numerous times. Trying to keep up with the heir to the throne by sending your children to elite private (well, British call them "public) schools, buying new clothes, having hair and makeup people on staff, going on vacations, and maintaining your expensive mansions can have a deleterious effect on your cash at hand. Essentially, Andrew was given just his Navy stipend to live on per year in the beginning, which was pretty small. Which is shocking, considering who his mother is. Nowadays, he gets something like $324,000 per year. Fergie wasn't bailed out and had to shill for jobs with Weight Watchers, her autobiography, writing childrens books, and other things.

That would be the future of Harry and Meghan. They'd rely on the royal stipend of that much money, and while it seems like a lot to you and me, consider that Meghan's wardrobe alone per year costs about that much. Prince Charles gives Kate money from the Duchy of Cornwall, but he will likely give a much smaller amount to Meghan as time goes on.

If they would do as you say, which is to cut themselves off from the monarchy in order to do good deeds, unencumbered by archaic tradition and arbitrary rules, I'd cheer them on, too. But they're interested in making more money from their celebrity. You'll see. Already Meghan is doing voiceovers for Disney as a launching pad to reintroduce herself to the industry, because she always wanted to be an actress.

Who knows? Maybe they'll get decent jobs, relinquish all taxpayer funds, and do charitable good works that doesn't steal from the charities they're promoting and put it back in their own pockets. Based on their past behavior, I doubt it. They'll go around telling us not to visit other countries because it will hurt the climate, and hop on private planes to private islands. They'll tell us to feed the hungry while they pocket an appearance fee. The hypocrisy is what's off-putting.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
All the more reason for both ADULTS to make a choice as to how they want to live their life.

I very much doubt Harry loved the royal life and so was "inveigled" by the evil sorcerer woman to throw everything over.

Perhaps neither of them realized what kind of nightmare existence their family - including their children - would be subjected to.

Frankly, the yentas on this thread would give any sane person reason to avoid the spotlight. All of the projection onto people that you know nothing about and what their thought process were and what kind of pressures they were under. I mean the posts on her cradling her bump and why her doing so was offensive versus Kate only using one hand alone would make me tear out my hair if I were in that position.

I should also state that as much as I am a royal follower, I think that William and Kate are also moochers of the taxpayer, interested only in the luxuries of their pampered existence than actually making a real difference. Diana was such a breath of fresh air because her acute pain, fueled by living a life of abandonment, forced her into an empathetic role where she sought out the individuals most abandoned in our society. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, William and Kate had loving parents and have more or less a normal person's interest in charities. Meaning, it's fun to show up and smile and say "good job", but then you want to go home and hang out with your children and do fun activities.

Combine that with the fact that they only really work about 75 days a year (really. It's insane), and you have to wonder why on earth anyone supports them. So I have no personal vendetta against Harry and Meghan. I'm not a fan of any of them, with perhaps the sole exception of the Queen and Princess Anne. I don't agree with the idea that somehow all the ills befalling the royal family is Meghan's fault.

I will say, though, speaking as someone who works in the mental health field, that it's concerning that a newly married spouse would suddenly isolate her spouse from his family. From all accounts, William and Harry were always close, and in numerous biographies, while his father and him are distant in that British Royal way, they were also close as documented in numerous trips, interactions, bypassing traditional royal protocol in lieu of calling each other directly, etc. All news articles state that their decision to remove themselves from royal life was done in the absence of discussing it with any of Harry's family members. If he wanted to, he could have done so.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:11 pm
I think I don’t care. It’s weird to me that other people do. Particularly if they’re not even British.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
There's pictures of her much younger in England in front of the royal palace. She was a fan of Diana's from way back. She knew exactly what to say to land a prince. She unthruthfully claimed she had no family and manipulated Harry to be her protector.

I don't know if that's proof of anything. Unless you were a hermit, everyone in the United States knew who Diana was, and everyone was her fan. It's hard to hate a dead person. I don't think anyone knows exactly what to say to make anyone fall in love with them. If this were a skill, I think our world would look very different.

I think that Harry did look to marry someone who would be a bit of a provocation to the public and to his own family. He's always pushed boundaries. He chose someone that could push the boundaries juuust enough but not too far. Meghan is biracial, but not obviously so. Her background in the acting industry is also weird, but his own father dated people from that pool as well, so it's not out of the norm. You want to be with people who understand what life is like as a celebrity.

I do think that Meghan, using their romance and attraction, has used that to drive a wedge between himself and his family. Maybe they deserve it, who knows. But I would never advise anyone to alienate someone from their own family, unless there was abuse.

I don't agree with most posters here - while I think divorce is inevitable, I don't think it will be anytime soon. For now, Harry is an asset, and even if Meghan is a vile narcissistic sociopath, she would know not to jettison that asset until its value is diminished. Maybe when George is taking on royal duties.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I think I don’t care. It’s weird to me that other people do. Particularly if they’re not even British.

So then don't comment on a thread asking what you think about something you don't care about. Banging head

keym

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:18 pm
I think all of this will be very interesting to see how it plays out, especially when Charles becomes king.
Currently, Harry is the Monarch's grandson. He seems to be looking for a life similar to his cousins (Princess Anne's kids). But the fact is within several years, he will be the Monarch's child. And both liability and responsibility, that's totally different.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:23 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
So then don't comment on a thread asking what you think about something you don't care about. Banging head

I’m bored. Sorry.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:01 pm
Does anyone remember their engagement announcement? She claimed she knew nothing about him or the royals. That bothered me. Pretending it was a legit blind date. I mean if I can Google whatever I need to know about Jo shmo... She for sure can Google her dates name and learn a lot

To pretend that you don't know, and treat everyone around you like idiots. I'm the same age as her and grew up secular. William and Harry were on the cover of every teen magazine.

Anon because I'm so ridiculous that I'm participating bin this thread but stillllll I'd rather rip her apart than that poor mil with the flu.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:23 pm
pause wrote:
That's what you get when you marry a prince. Duh! Kate was also nitpicked apart, and she had less experience with that than Meghan. You suck it up if put yourself in the limelight like that.

But it's no surprise to some of you who've read my other posts on this subject that I merely see this as yet another disappointment of Meghan. Like, she's some kind of sore loser, IDK.

They chose to step down precisely because they did not wish to deal with judgmental, bigoted comments like yours.

And this is an issue for you because.....

Exactly what do you think Meghan and Harry owe you?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
They chose to step down precisely because they did not wish to deal with judgmental, bigoted comments like yours.

And this is an issue for you because.....

Exactly what do you think Meghan and Harry owe you?

Let’s not get testy.

The thing is, they want to be celebrities and be bankrolled based on their star power. If they wanted to live the quiet life and be a social worker, the furor over their lives would die down. But when you want to get your picture taken and you want people to notice you and you want to act and you want to make lots of money off your image, well, there’s a downside to that. And they’re acting like it’s not fair when really, it’s just a consequence of their own actions.

They don’t owe us anything. I’m just sick of their whining. Never explain, never complain is the famous motto of the Queen. And she’s right, because no one wants to hear really rich, healthy people complain about their lives when there are real problems in the world.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:36 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Let’s not get testy.

The thing is, they want to be celebrities and be bankrolled based on their star power. If they wanted to live the quiet life and be a social worker, the furor over their lives would die down. But when you want to get your picture taken and you want people to notice you and you want to act and you want to make lots of money off your image, well, there’s a downside to that. And they’re acting like it’s not fair when really, it’s just a consequence of their own actions.

They don’t owe us anything. I’m just sick of their whining. Never explain, never complain is the famous motto of the Queen. And she’s right, because no one wants to hear really rich, healthy people complain about their lives when there are real problems in the world.

People here seem waaaaay more invested in the life of the British royal family than I'd consider normal or healthy.

You don't want to hear from them? Dont read those articles or click on those links. Easy as pie! Nobody wants to listen to them whine? They'll figure that out fast enough when people stop following them around with microphones and cameras.

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, which is why a 5-page thread of people getting increasingly worked up over the antics of the royals seems odd to say the least.

trixx

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
People here seem waaaaay more invested in the life of the British royal family than I'd consider normal or healthy.

You don't want to hear from them? Dont read those articles or click on those links. Easy as pie! Nobody wants to listen to them whine? They'll figure that out fast enough when people stop following them around with microphones and cameras.

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, which is why a 5-page thread of people getting increasingly worked up over the antics of the royals seems odd to say the least.

There are bigger problems which is exactly why people like to focus on them. You think imas would rather pay attention to their marriages, kids issue, financial difficulties or work problems? Ofc they'd rather harp/hate on the royals, same way ppl are obsessed with celebrities or anything really. (I say this sincerely not meanly. I'd rather follow Kate than politics personally)
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics